gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975754 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 17, 2024, 05:33 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Ebay charging customs fees for international buys :(
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Ebay charging customs fees for international buys :(  (Read 1120 times)

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Ebay charging customs fees for international buys :(
« on: November 03, 2013, 05:30 PM »
Hi fellas
Never seen this before, but I bought a book from the USA and was charged the price of the book, international postage plus ebay customs fees on my invoice.
Apparantly there is nothing the usa sellers can do and no way of knowing what the costs will be before hand so I would be careful of buying anything to expensive. I was charged $13.00 on a $25 book :tickedoff:
Anyone else had this happen ?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 05:32 PM by threaders »

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Re: Ebay charging customs fees for international buys :(
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 05:42 PM »
 Customs charges do not apply if the package/parcel cost is less than $50 and marked as a gift, not merchandise.

Something else Ebay has taken on board to rip buyers off with.

I can't wait for Ebay to crash and burn, robbing fookers  :knuppel2:
BANNED

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 05:49 PM »
I dont think Ebay can (or would want to) collect customs duties. They are not a shipping agent so I cant see how this would work. Do you have a screen grab of the invoice we could look at?

I do know parcelforce charge £13.00 to collect customs duties. SO even if your duties come to £2.00 they will slap another £13.00 on top.  :knuppel2:

***EDIT***

Just had a look through the Ebay international shipping rules and it is in there. Robbing bastards!!!

"For items that are purchased by international buyers through the Global Shipping Program, buyers pre-pay all applicable shipping and import charges during checkout."

Your best bet is to ask the buyer to not use the Global Shipping Program.

You can read the full description here. http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/international-shipping-rules.html
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 05:55 PM by midschooljon »
***Wanted - Cash waiting***
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 05:57 PM »
Check it out :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151156639382'ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
I Saw a post on another site and they are saying its happened to a few people and ebay have a shipping centre over in the usa that everything gets sent to.  I'm just glad I didn't buy a frameset that I also had my eye on over there. I could probably claim it back but as its only $13, ill leave it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:22 PM by threaders »

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 06:00 PM »
Thats rich coming from a corporation that is one of the UK's biggest tax dodgers! Makes my blood boil.
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 06:01 PM »
I think some US sellers state on the item shipping costs and import charges so buyers are aware of the total cost thus preventing disgruntled overseas buyers from leaving bad feedback due to hidden/overseen charges. Like hellboy says I've found anything under $50 or anything marked as gift should be exempt.   :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 06:04 PM »
Whats happening here is that if a US seller signs up to the Ebay Global Shipping program they are unable to mark an item as a gift. I imagine the sub £50.00 exemption should still apply though.
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 06:17 PM »
Sorry, I put the wrong link in. I have updated the post with the right link and you can see the charges on the left hand side under the order total. I have never had it happen before, but I haven't bought anything from the states for ages.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 06:18 PM »
So let me get this right, if you buy owt of ebay from the states you could potentially end up paying 2 lots of customs charges as well as royal mail's handling fees and the extortionate postage costs  :shocked:

That going to put a real dent in any thoughts of buying bike bits from the states  :(
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 06:30 PM »
So let me get this right, if you buy owt of ebay from the states you could potentially end up paying 2 lots of customs charges as well as royal mail's handling fees and the extortionate postage costs  :shocked:

That going to put a real dent in any thoughts of buying bike bits from the states  :(

My advise is to steer clear of anyone who's signed up to this & ask them to do a Direct deal for the goods through paypal. cutting out ebay at a price that suits.

Whats a bigger joke is that ebay are now charging a listing fee a final value fee paypal fees but also they are now charging you 10% on your shipping charges when you sell an item . You are paying them 4 times per sale FFS !!!!

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 06:36 PM »
The guys on the other site say you just pay the one customs fee, and the item goes to an ebay shipping center in the states and they have it organised with the uk customs. Ill let you know if I get a second charge, but I shouldnt think so. I think you would be better getting stuff from the bmxmuseum rather thatn ebay in the states in future, then again this could be a one off, who knows. Up to now it was always hit and miss with customs, sometimes you'd get away with it, then sometimes not and then trying to get the seller to mark packages as gift and put value at under £30. :-\

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 06:38 PM »
only a matter of time before sellers start looking elsewhere to sell their goods-getting too expensive now,even charge you 10% on your postage fees too  :knuppel2:

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 06:42 PM »
You can see the charges now on the items that I am watching on the states. you can see postage costs and underneath, customs charges, which I have never seen before:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151156639382'ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
I think I paid more than $102 in customs charges, when I had my performer shipped over here though :-[

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 06:43 PM »
You get the feeling if someone had enough money to throw at a start up they could really take ebay to the cleaners. Its obvious with the near monopoly they have in the market they can pretty much get away with anything  >:(
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 07:31 PM »
You get the feeling if someone had enough money to throw at a start up they could really take ebay to the cleaners. Its obvious with the near monopoly they have in the market they can pretty much get away with anything  >:(
that is how it seems mate   :knuppel2: on the back of this I have just had a chat with one of their "live agents" and do you know where it got me.....ABSOLUTELY FOOKING NOWHERE  :2funny: :2funny:

Offline retrogeezer

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 08:30 PM »
yep, they want a cut of absolutely everything don't they. It wont be long until they just take a percentage out of your bank account every month just in case you ever use ebay.

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 08:37 PM »
You do only pay ONE customs fee as the parcel is stamped FEES PAID.

There is one loophole on the under $50/gift ideal you all have stated.

THE ADDRESS FOR THE SELLER MUST BE A PRIVATE ADDRESS.

If the HMRC deems that the address supplied by the seller is COMMERCIAL it matters NOT what the value is or whether it has been marked as gift. They WILL tax it.

I have had this out with them and you can appeal it by getting the seller to write to them to explain that their address isn't commercial, but they WILL tax it. And don't forget the fookin PO £8 handling charge...shuffle munsterers!
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 09:53 AM »
At least now though, you know what your paying up front, if it is a fixed price. For an auction, the customs charge goes up whenever the bid amount increases :(

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 10:19 AM »
Like already mentioned weren't ebay involved in a back door way out of being charged UK tax's

There not bothered about you paying customs fee's their thinking about their 10% charge for doing this

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 04:26 PM »
lets not also forgot customs have a right to open any package for whatever reasons and if they see it is more than whats stated your BOTH in the shit if they can prove you both knew etc etc

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 05:24 PM »
AND they round all charges up !

Offline DoubleD

• Cherry Picker
  • From Holland
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 05:51 PM »
Just buy in europe

problem solved  ;D

Offline supertuff kid

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 04:07 PM »
You guys need to all watch these two YouTube videos about the Ebay Global Shipping Programme.
/>
/>
It seems anything sent through the global shipping programme is sent to a shipping company in the US (Pitney Bowes), who open each & every package 'to inspect' but are ALSO removing packaging material to lighten parcels, thus SAVING THEM MONEY!!!  before forwarding on to the address abroad. It is a total disgrace!

My opinion is steer well clear of any US seller who posts through the Ebay Global Shipping Programme. Funny, some months back I ordered a viscount mx seat from the US which used this global shipping programme, I had to pay the fees upfront but wasn't too bothered, but I didn't know back then that all parcels are forwarded to a shipping company who open the packages before shipping ffs!  Anyway, to cut a long story short  the seat arrived in a jiffy envelope with a big tear in it and the seat was half hanging out of the envelope with just a tiny bit of loose bubble wrap round the seat. I didn't know what to make of it at the time, was just relieved the seat got to me in one piece tbh! I know one thing, I won't buy f'ock all now from ANY US seller who has opted into this programme.

You have been warned guys! ! !
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 04:23 PM by supertuff kid »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Ebay charging customs fees for international buys :(

gfxgfx
gfx gfx