gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 08:50 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Mongoose californian parts and skyway tuff Is v tuff IIs
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mongoose californian parts and skyway tuff Is v tuff IIs  (Read 18906 times)

cd

Mongoose californian parts and skyway tuff Is v tuff IIs
« on: August 09, 2006, 05:16 PM »
Hi,

I have taken some photos of my cali frame and parts. If anyone can help I would like to know what is original, what is not and if not in your opinion whether I should try and get an NOS part to replace. Also would skyway tuff I or IIs be ok as pro class wheels are few and far between..... did calis come with skyways.....and whats the differance between V1 and V2 tuffs? Thanks in advance....

1) Seat (Aero)

2) Handle bars..... are these original? If so I will work to restore

3) Handle bar stem top and bottom

4) Pedals - not in a good way

5) Crank cog - this must be an after market peice...

6) Brake wire cover

7)  Brakes

8) Seat post holder

9) And finally the serial number

cd

duncan

Re: Mongoose californian parts and skyway tuff Is v tuff IIs
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 07:28 PM »
Hi,

Check out these threads:

Californian Specs: http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=12752.0

Museum Section for Pics: http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=4076.msg148570

At a glance your brakes and seatpost clamp are original. Cranks should be stamped 'Mongoose' if they are originals.
The bars are CW's rather than the Mongoose bars that came as standard (probably copies, but worth checking).

Check out ebay.com to see some Tuff I's and how they differ. They're too early for an era-correct build, Tuff II's were out when the model was introduced. Of course, just put on the ones you like!
Many people swapped the Pro Class for Tuffs if they were into freestyle, I know I did. The Californian only came with Pro Class wheels though. An earlier generation Mongoose did come with Tuffs.
You can't go wrong with Black Tuff II's on a Californian.

The pedals don't look original (should be SR) unless the bike is from the US, maybe the components were different over there?, hopefully others will let you know.

Best of luck with your renovation!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 07:47 PM by duncan »

rew115

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 08:12 PM »
Hi,I think all calis came with a   pro class spider?
  Ive got orig pro class bars with black mongoose grips on,84 cali frame that is quite good condition,pro class rear brake,
  some pad sets,pro class wheels,may even have a crank and b/b to fit.A SR stem.,84 CALI DECAL SET.
  ALL FOR SALE :angrysoapbox:
  As for yours,Im thinking the same that has already been said.
  You need bars,pedals,wheels,grips,maybe even a crank and spider if you want it 100% orig!
  Ive got most so stay in touch,pm me anytime.. :daumenhoch:

selfpreservation

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 08:22 PM »
pro class wheels are easy to find they are for sale all the time especially usa

donut

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 08:40 AM »
HEY CHARLIE!!!

GREAT TO SEE YOU ON THE SITE ;D

BEST OF LUCK WITH THE CALI, I'M GLAD IT'S GONE TO A GOOD HOME, AS I WOULD NOT HAVE GOT ROUND TO RESTORING IT!! :)

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT WHEN YOU'VE FINISHED, AND WE'LL HOOK UP AGAIN WHEN I'VE FINISHED MY CALI (GONNA GO BLUE, WITH BLUE TUFF 2'S) :daumenhoch:

ANYWAYS, GREAT TO SEE YOU THE OTHER NIGHT MATE
KIND REGARDS, STEVE (DONUT) :LolLolLolLol:

cd

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 08:21 PM »
Hi Steve,

I'm well on my way to getting it all together and thanks for a good frame. I now have a pair of pro class wheels with some tyres which a member of radmbx has pased on to me. I'm really relieved to find some as they're not so common in the UK - atleast it seemed to me.  I have a sticker set and I'll keep you posted as to what it is like.

I'm going to take my time with this and once its done I'll send you some pics. Hopefully once its done the only piece that will not be original is the seat stem..... now I'm a little larger a layback is a must for me.

Keep in touch

Charlie

Coastvl

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 01:15 AM »
The difference with tuffs is quite obvious and tuff 1's are too early for a proclass. I'd try and find some alloy hubbed tuff 2's for your proclass. They didn't come out with tuffs but as stated above lots of people swapped them for the alloy rims if using them on the street. The pro class rims are not hard to find really. Have a look on evilbay, they are always out there.
Tuff 1's

Tuff 2's

cd

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 03:27 AM »
Thanks for the comments. Have you tried an oxalic acid dip in a bath. Much cheaper than a re-chrome see

http://www.vintagebmx.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=004702;p=1

Decals survive.....

cd

Coastvl

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 09:49 AM »
I've used it on a set of cranks and it's brilliant stuff. I'm going to fill a bath tub and drop the whole bike in next!  :LolLolLolLol:
seriously I am going to do the forks, GT bars and frame soon. The decals are crap anyway and I need to find some Santa Ana GT bar stickers.

donut

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 11:58 PM »
Hi Steve,

I'm well on my way to getting it all together and thanks for a good frame. I now have a pair of pro class wheels with some tyres which a member of radmbx has pased on to me. I'm really relieved to find some as they're not so common in the UK - atleast it seemed to me.  I have a sticker set and I'll keep you posted as to what it is like.

I'm going to take my time with this and once its done I'll send you some pics. Hopefully once its done the only piece that will not be original is the seat stem..... now I'm a little larger a layback is a must for me.

Keep in touch

WILL DO MATE, IF YOU GET A RENTHAL SEATPOST, YOU WON'T BE FAR OFF, AS MOST EARLY MONGEESE HAD RENTHALS FITTED, I KNOW MY 82-83 GOOSE DID... A RED ONE!
CHECK OUT MY GIANT POST, TOAD HAS POSTED A PIC OF AN 82 GIANT, NOT THE SAME AS MINE... HAS A GOOSE STYLE GUSSET AND NO CUTOUT IN THE REAR DROPOUT.... INTERESTING...

Charlie

duncan

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 06:36 PM »
I've just tracked down the advert in BMX Bi-Weekly for 'Sale Cycles Warehouse' in Manchester where I got my Mongoose Californian. It cost £175 complete back then.

The advert also lists a 'Californian Mag Wheel' model for £195. No indication what kind of mags they were.

cd

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 10:36 PM »
intersting......

most probably skyways......and noteably more expensive...!

donut

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 12:02 AM »
hey charlie.... the giant is finished... looks a bit different to when you saw it last :LolLolLolLol:

Reggie

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 10:13 AM »
Should look like this when you are done !  If you go the TUFF II route.  I swaped my proclass wheels for Tuffs straight from the shop back in '83!

Cheers

reggie

donut

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 05:00 PM »
I've just tracked down the advert in BMX Bi-Weekly for 'Sale Cycles Warehouse' in Manchester where I got my Mongoose Californian. It cost £175 complete back then.

The advert also lists a 'Californian Mag Wheel' model for £195. No indication what kind of mags they were.

THIS MEANS I CAN PUT TUFFS ON MY CALI AND STILL BE CORRECT....
NICE ONE!!!

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2006, 05:15 PM »
heres part of an 84 brochure

i'll see if i can get a clearer image of it for ya
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

selfpreservation

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 10:48 PM »
get the tuffs on it big lad i got them on my 83 supergoose they look/are rad buy a set of proclass as well and swap them over when you feel like it

cd

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 11:30 PM »
I've got my pro class wheels now and am v. happy as thats what I used to have in 86........ + stickers + pads ....etc.....

.....does anyone have any sr pedals taking up space....? They are my last 'get' to make it all original.....

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Mongoose californian parts and skyway tuff Is v tuff IIs

gfxgfx
gfx gfx