gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 08:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rattle can paint job? Which brands and any tips?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rattle can paint job? Which brands and any tips?  (Read 724 times)

Offline scoff

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Rattle can paint job? Which brands and any tips?
« on: October 19, 2013, 08:39 PM »
I'm looking to rattle-can paint my lads "Blank frank BMX" frame, forks and bars, it's currently yellow, but showing signs of fading, chips and scratches! It's not worth spending x on a powder-coat, as the BMX is not worth that.
I'm just looking for a few tips, ie what rattle-can paint is easy to use and gives a half decent finish? I've got "the range" 2 minutes from my house and they sell Hammerite, Plasti-Kote and Holts rattle-cans?

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Rattle can paint job? Which brands and any tips?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 08:45 PM »
you may be surprised at how much some local powder coaters will charge,  wont have the finish of SBD's jobs,  but sometimes the cost in paints and materials can outweigh the worth doing it yourself...   
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Worth adding that a rattle can job won't last 5 minutes on a rider
2 minutes turkish...

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 08:50 PM »
£35 for a powder coat near me, it's not show winning but it's cheap and quick.
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 08:50 PM »
Place near me will do a basic frame and forks for 35 notes. A bit agricultural i should think but ok for a budget build.
Alternatively i have used this little kit a few times and its cracking stuff, proper thick, quality paint. Just find a car you like the colour off and away you go. Will do 2 coats of each can on a frame forks and bars :daumenhoch:

http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=5423

Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Julian347

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 08:54 PM »
Worth considering Dan powdering it. You might be surprised at the cost. You need to rub down the frame to give it a key, possibly undercoat and then a top coat which is all time and money.  Just drop him a PM. You don't have to say yes.

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 09:01 PM »
I bare metalled/primed/painted/lacquered my Bars, seat post and a few other bits and bobs.  I used Halfords Gloss black rattle cans , grey primer and clear coat (about £7-8 each for a large can) .

Take your time and you can get a perfectly acceptable finish. I applied about three coats of primer, left a day, rubbed down with 800 grit wet and dry, then put on about four coats of Black. You can flat out any crap that gets in the paint in between coats. (leave 20 mins between coats).

Once the top coat is touch dry, then apply about four coats of clear.  You can flat off the black coat before clear, but i didn't bother and the results were pretty good. 

When applying the paint, i found the best technique was to dust it on first, then a smooth side to side action in different directions to get an even coat. Hold can about 20 cms from the frame.

Finally, if your'e not happy with the finish, you can lightly flat the clear with 1500 grit, and use T cut or similar to get a decent shine.

For smaller parts, I put my oven on about 80c and baked for an hr to harden the paint.

I think i did the bars and seatpost with one large can of each, so it cost about £22, just to give you an indication.

What i achieved, to give you an idea..

Hope that helps :daumenhoch:

PS- worth checking out prices of powder coating, some of the other guys will have a better idea than me :)

Offline scoff

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 09:35 PM »
Cheers everyone, I'll try an source a local powder coater and get a quote? Seems a lot of work, when for another tenner someone else does it all!
Laidback, nice result there on the bars... :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rattle can paint job? Which brands and any tips?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx