gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 03, 2024, 02:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Seeking info on some NE England Old School Tracks
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Seeking info on some NE England Old School Tracks  (Read 738 times)

Offline Draco

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Seeking info on some NE England Old School Tracks
« on: October 14, 2013, 12:38 PM »
Anyone familiar with the BMX Time Bandits annual ride will know that the lads cycle across 50 miles of English countryside (road, track and path) to visit some classic old school and new school tracks on the way.

As the idiot :idiot2: charged with making this year's documentary, I find myself having to turn to you guys for help with data about the tracks.

The ride covers/visits the following:

• Faverdale (Darlington) - derelict
  • Durham-Tees Valley Airport - derelict
  • Stockton Tilery - overgrown but rideable.
  • South Tees MX - formerly a BMX track, now motors only
  • Redcar BMX Club, Eston track? - derelict
  • Herlingshaw - now replaced by MFC
  • Eston Rec - the one that got closed almost as soon as it was opened!
  • Dormanstown pump track
  • Redcar Racecourse - flattened
  • Skelton Green pump track
  • Margrove (Guisborough) - derelict

The information I have for the derelicts is scant. Information as to their history is non-existent and any help would be appreciated.

For instance, the South Tees MX track is supposed to lie over the site of a BMX track which was closed due to land contamination. Teesside airport clearly had a vibrant scene and is now gone  - but when did it go... and so on.

Anyone who can supply me with information, pictures (their own) and memories will be mentioned and/or credited in the film.

Offline Magoo

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Seeking info on some NE England Old School Tracks
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 07:41 PM »
Whatever  happened to the Saltburn track, opposite the golf course?
That was the first track I raced BITD as it was only a 15 min ride away, as was Margrove. Happy days.

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 12:10 PM »
Cool project - somebody HAS to 'keep track' of the old bmx tracks in the :Great_Britain:, right? :daumenhoch:

I) Here's an older 6 page long thread about "North East Tracks"
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,72968.msg755380.html#msg755380

loads of pics and memories there (- problem is many peeps haven't registered back, but we can help you to make contact where we can).

2) here's a thread about TEESIDE AIRPORT bmx track http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,71744.msg729584.html#msg729584
"Teeside airport bmx track, that was like a European track when you lived in Hartlepool b.i.t.d"   etc

Offline Draco

• Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 01:33 PM »
Whatever  happened to the Saltburn track, opposite the golf course?
That was the first track I raced BITD as it was only a 15 min ride away, as was Margrove. Happy days.

There's still bits of it there - very little survives; it's in the film this year though and some of our poster art was shot there.

Offline Draco

• Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 01:35 PM »
Hey, thanks for those. I can't find the authors of the pictures - some of the best seem to be from Paul Gray and he's not registered.

As ever, if anyone can supply pictures or memories that I can use (i.e. not copyright to someone else) they will receive full credit - and advance info as the release date approaches.

Cool project - somebody HAS to 'keep track' of the old bmx tracks in the :Great_Britain:, right? :daumenhoch:

I) Here's an older 6 page long thread about "North East Tracks"
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,72968.msg755380.html#msg755380

loads of pics and memories there (- problem is many peeps haven't registered back, but we can help you to make contact where we can).

2) here's a thread about TEESIDE AIRPORT bmx track http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,71744.msg729584.html#msg729584
"Teeside airport bmx track, that was like a European track when you lived in Hartlepool b.i.t.d"   etc

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 01:38 PM »
here's a lil clip of racing at Redcar BBMXA National 1988. ->http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100629.msg1068681.html#msg1068681  [=
/>
Alan Smith (Leeds & Man Utd...MK Dons) was one of the Redcar Pros, used to race there (->
/>

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Seeking info on some NE England Old School Tracks

gfxgfx
gfx gfx