gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975628 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 28, 2024, 03:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What was your local BMX shop back in the day?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What was your local BMX shop back in the day?  (Read 35569 times)

Offline Bigbadsam

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • THEY CALL ME THE BEAR !
  • Rated:
Re: What was your local BMX shop back in the day?
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2013, 06:00 PM »
No Andy. My mate lived over the back of there for a while before he came to billinge and he was int the local paper when they tried to get a race team going. Are you a chain lane'er ?
RADPORT 4TH August
Southport - Leo's Bar Midday onwards

teamspicer

« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2013, 08:45 PM »
We had picketts in benfleet got my first goose from there. Then rad city opened where I got me haro. :4_17_5: But we also had Richardson's in Hadleigh. Les's cycles on convey. And also cycle king in pound lane. Awesome thread love it.

Offline Wez

• Look Back
  • What's Happenin' Derek ???
  • Rated:
« Reply #152 on: February 27, 2013, 11:35 AM »
I forget the name but it was next door H.M.P Stafford, used to ogle the Team Aero Pro they had in there...
WANTED: Orphan Early 80's Front Skyway Graphite 8)

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
« Reply #153 on: July 27, 2013, 06:36 AM »
Radcity was in Benfleet at the Tarpots roundabout, behind what is now a tesco metro store. Bought my 84 gt pro performer in chrome from there - wanted yellow, but it was all built up and the owner wasn't keen to break it up as the GT freestyle tour was coming to town with Fiola and I folded!

Also used to buy stuff from Sixar in Upminster. Anybody remember them. Thats were it all started. a 80 Prostar in blue and gold after my grifar was stolen!
When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

Offline bmxband1t77

• Cherry Picker
  • '77 a good year (Star Wars-Punk) but not my DOB.
  • Rated:
« Reply #154 on: September 19, 2013, 12:47 PM »
I actually worked in Rad City BMX for a while, mostly summer holidays to raise funds to guess wot...yes...buy parts..haha. think it was summer 84' was that same year Fiola visited. man those fiberglass ramps were shite. wrong dimensions too from memory.

I worked alongside whispering Brian and Sid Salisbury, eventually ending up with his unwanted PK Ripper Factory blue frame and forks when he was signed up with SE Racing. I still have it but i bailed a humungous bail over at John Burrows park in Hadleigh. Broke seatpost clamp and bent (yes!) the landing gear. i replaced it with a GT Performer second hand from Rad City end of '84 early '85.

I also used to drool over stuff in Richardsons in Hadleigh too, where i lived and schooled at Deanes in benfleet.

Myself, Jon Eastoe, Adam Besley (BEZ), Howard Smith (Piff), Gavin Brewer (Hank) and various other 'Usual Suspects' used to hang outside Garstons shoe shop Hadleigh, John Burrows Hadleigh, Rayleigh Grove Road BMX track run in unison with Rad City BMX, and of course not forgetting Romford ROM Skatepark, every evening and all summer long, homework? Nah!

I was in Skate'n'Scoot in leigh recently and dropped in some of this, the guy there actually knew of Brian, Sid and Rad City BMX, he said Brians still with us! That guy now a distributor for one of the scooter companies, sorry forgot his name, yes, I also have a go at scooting, its a laff.

I still BMX tho not as nuts as back in the day....respectfully Rad Dad..heh heh.
Jon E

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What was your local BMX shop back in the day?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx