gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 11:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  **Skyway** 1983 Rider Sponsored Helmet "Mike Dominguez"????
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: **Skyway** 1983 Rider Sponsored Helmet "Mike Dominguez"????  (Read 6591 times)

leehunt1

Re: **Skyway** 1983 Rider Sponsored Helmet "Mike Dominguez"????
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 10:27 AM »
Lovin this  :smitten: :daumenhoch:

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 10:55 AM »
The bikes are cool but collecting an ex pro's kit/bike is the best part of this whole hobby for me. Hope it's what you think it is  :daumenhoch:

You sound like you have experience in this sort of stuff. How do you price/value something like this?

:-\

I have a pretty decent collection of kit that I've sourced over the years. First thing is knowing the seller it came from and seeing if they can provide any info on it, next up do what your doing and ask ask ask ask and then ask some more. The value always depends on if it was used in a race/comp or it was one of his stock. Then put out some feelers and see who may be interested in this, hunt down the big skyway collectors 'I have a contact in oz' and approach them, dangle the carrot a little.

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,139506.0.html
These are a few of the things I have/had, plus The OMs Floval and race kit and some other stuff.
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline skywayman

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 01:29 PM »
OMG mr funky you have had some lovely bits....  :4_17_5:

... the skyway tops look fantastic  :daumenhoch:

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 02:56 PM »
Just a small sample  :daumenhoch:
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 03:53 PM »
Nice lid Steff, so how much is it?
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

griff

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2013, 06:43 PM »
This sounds like a BMX Cinderella story
Just line them all up and get them to try on the helmet
Whoever it fits, that's the man you should marry  :teef:

Offline moza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2013, 10:22 PM »
I'm pretty sure he didn't ride for skyway.

Offline skywayman

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 07:00 AM »

On what are you basing this ? Your memory ? Research ? My previous comments from Woody and Mike Canning?

I am only going on this article from Maurice Meyer and This article on 23mag.com

Link to article on Maurice Meyer

http://www.mauricemeyer.net/curb_dogs/sponsored.html

Quote From article

Skyway had been sponsoring top riders (Bob Haro, RL Osborn, Mike Buff, Eddie Fiola, Mike Dominguez, Ron Wilton, etc.) with their Tuff Wheels and was looking to build a factory team for shows and competitions. They also wanted to build a freestyle only frame and fork and other freestyle products. Lucky for us they wanted some guys closer to the factory in northern California. We were in the right place at the right time and stoked big-time!

I am pretty sure it is Mike Salido's but he doesn't recognise it, this piccy looks just like it with same peak and mouth guard. So if its not his that leaves Mike Buff or Mike Domiguez :-\

leehunt1

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 07:06 AM »

:idiot2: :crazy2:

Offline Stu70

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 11:26 AM »
The cover of BMX Plus January 84 shows Mike Dominguez as a Vans/Skyway rider on a Skyway TA.

http://oldschoolmags.com/bmx_plus.html

Few more pics inside but difficult to see the helmet he's wearing clearly.

Offline skywayman

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 12:22 PM »
The cover of BMX Plus January 84 shows Mike Dominguez as a Vans/Skyway rider on a Skyway TA.

http://oldschoolmags.com/bmx_plus.html

Few more pics inside but difficult to see the helmet he's wearing clearly.

Thanks buddy I saw that one  :daumenhoch:

Offline skywayman

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 01:20 PM »
I have been researching this for days now including talking on facebook to 3 skyway legends  :D

I had been throwing myself off the track by the fact that it didn't have the huge skyway lettering on the back..... well upon closer inspection (its quite obvious now) I can see the gum lines of the skyway decal lettering that used to be there.

It wasn't obvious at first because I had wrongly assumed that the large white lettering on the back would have been done the same way as the front by masking and painting overt he top etc...... see piccy below where you can clearly see where the K meets the Y

I started looking at other riders lids that had been sponsored by skyway in 1983 and came across this piccy of Andy Patterson wearing an identical helmet and Mouth guard, which is the same helmet we see him wearing here on the 50th ann box where you can also see the identical huge Black and white JT decal on the front.

It is starting to look more and more like this did actually belong to Mike Salido (he prob didn't recognise it without the huge skyway logo on the rear) as here is a pic of him in 1983 in a world championship race wearing an identical skyway helmet, now this next part is kinda sketchy and coincidental  but It looks from the pics that riders could put what they liked on the peak of the helmet and judging by the below pic Mike liked ZeroNine as you can see a ZeroNine decal on his peak. There also appears to be a paint chip/scuff on his helmet in the same place as on mine.   :shocked:

Offline Rabdul06

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 01:52 PM »

Not sure how much this adds but... - Abaddon Products Company (Helmet Manufacturer) seems to have gone out of business a long time ago - mainly because of helmet recalls in the late 70s early 80s!!

The date is the date of manufacture (obviously), the BMX refers to it being a BMX helmet (as Abaddon made all sorts of helmets) and 22 is the size in inches (medium).

Have you tried contacting Skyway to ask them? I have had great success talking to them in the past about tuff pedals and the like - seem like a good bunch...! 

Offline skywayman

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 02:11 PM »

Not sure how much this adds but... - Abaddon Products Company (Helmet Manufacturer) seems to have gone out of business a long time ago - mainly because of helmet recalls in the late 70s early 80s!!

The date is the date of manufacture (obviously), the BMX refers to it being a BMX helmet (as Abaddon made all sorts of helmets) and 22 is the size in inches (medium).

Have you tried contacting Skyway to ask them? I have had great success talking to them in the past about tuff pedals and the like - seem like a good bunch...!

Nice one for that buddy. I had thought about sticking it on the Skyway facebook page as I have been a member on there for some time and seeing if it jogss anyones memory  "bump" I like the 22 bit that may even help jog Mike Silado's  ;)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2013, 01:06 PM »
Great detective work, looks like it could well be Mike Salido's  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Stellartois

• Curb Endo
    • Beautiful
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2013, 06:43 PM »
A proper BMX thread  :4_17_5:

Do carry on the good work :daumenhoch:
From You ......... To Me ......... To Ebay 8)

Offline bmxbandit

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2013, 06:54 PM »
A proper BMX thread  :4_17_5:

Do carry on the good work :daumenhoch:

x 2 Love this  :daumenhoch:

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2013, 08:18 PM »
loving this thread too. A real piece of bmx history there. VERY jealous!

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2013, 02:29 PM »
Great thread & detective work, looks like the odd changes over the years have thrown things off a bit but that nik sure looks like a good I'd point.
The snip from the article seems to indicate Dominguez rode for skyway in the guise of them been a parts sponsor prior to them getting a freestyle team together. A little like Henderson & Bottema rode for skyway, pro neck, bell & oakley whilst representing team raleigh.
(Haven't had chance to read the full thing though on my phone)
Maybe this was what woody meant when he said he didn't ride for skyway?

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2013, 03:27 PM »
Great thread & detective work, looks like the odd changes over the years have thrown things off a bit but that nik sure looks like a good I'd point.
The snip from the article seems to indicate Dominguez rode for skyway in the guise of them been a parts sponsor prior to them getting a freestyle team together. A little like Henderson & Bottema rode for skyway, pro neck, bell & oakley whilst representing team raleigh.
(Haven't had chance to read the full thing though on my phone)
Maybe this was what woody meant when he said he didn't ride for skyway?

Sounds right Glynn , Dominguez wasn't factory Skyway team ( that's a factory team lid ) . Euro tour by Salido would perhaps explain the Hotshot decal too . Cool piece Mr Skywayman  ;)

Offline donnydresser

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2013, 04:25 PM »
top thread matey hope it turns out to be a pro riders  :Great_Britain:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  **Skyway** 1983 Rider Sponsored Helmet "Mike Dominguez"????

gfxgfx
gfx gfx