gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 02:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  can anyone date my ripper frame
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: can anyone date my ripper frame  (Read 1042 times)

johnty22

can anyone date my ripper frame
« on: August 07, 2006, 07:26 PM »
 ive have a frame with the  brake cable guides along the down tube a hole in the rear behind the crank for a brake caliper ,is this for an oddysey pitbull brake.? it has integrated seat clamp. ive seen frames with the brake cable mounts on the tp tube and none at all , are these ealier or later , can the serial number be used to identify and more exact date or year. does anyone know the way to do this ,thanks

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: can anyone date my ripper frame
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 07:28 PM »
picts will help loads aswell
we use photobucket to upload em
as the sites one is full at the mo
and welcome to the site

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 07:30 PM »
generalle hes your man give him a post.

winnit93

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 07:39 PM »
i prefer to date women,
i do like frames,but there no good for shaggin:LolLolLolLol:

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 07:42 PM »
Your frame must be the same as mine then . . . I'm curious about it's age too . . . :)

Cheers

Steve  :daumenhoch:

Offline Stace

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 07:42 PM »
Take out the forks and lube up the headset!!

Offline Del

• Look Back
  • Re-living my youth!
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 07:45 PM »
I do believe the bottom tube guides and pitbull brake mounteed PK's are '87 to '92.. I have one as well but needs some forks!

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 08:13 PM »
i was wondering how old my race steed was too

:) DINGO :)

Offline Del

• Look Back
  • Re-living my youth!
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 08:18 PM »
common as muck! :)

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 08:54 PM »
pitbull Ripper with the inch headset was 90 to 94.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Bananaman

• BMX Nerd
  • Le Mans Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 11:16 AM »
Mine is the same but its 87, Its in the museum page 2 under Bodamus Pro XL all nos as it was his before :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 11:19 AM by bananaman »

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 01:50 PM »
Quite right - the brake caliper that bolts behind the seattube is an odyssey pitbull, its mounted without the integral [removavble] cable hanger. I had one recently but sold it to Del! The 1" headtube versions seemed to crop up from roughly 88 to 92, although SE did produce a few with 1.18" headtubes and pitbull mounts before switching to v/canti mounts. They also produced a very limited amount with pitbull mounts and  1.1/8" headtubes but with sleeve inserts for 1" headsets - very strange, but was during the period of change from 1" to 1.1/8"...
The pitbull rippers are great, Ive always loved them!
Hope that helps, steve.

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 05:14 PM »
I worked on this a while back, like i said i'd be happy for anyone to prove me wrong but after a fair bit of research sifting through the varied and sometimes conflicting evidence this is what i came up with:

I've done quite a bit of delving and seem to have a lot of conflicting information but after some education here's what i've come up with so far. Thanks to everybody for all their input and photo's especially Brian Hays.

Ok, Firstly there was the 1978/9 to 85 looptail. i know there were tubing and dropout variants on this but this is basically it.

Which was replaced in 85 by the 'XL style' upgrade with integrated seatpost but with straight chain stays.

The straight stays were a wrong-un so was changed in 86 to the more common tapered stays

***sorry lost this photo***

From what i can make out SE went very quite at this point and were working out of Mike Devitts garage during this time in the late 80's so it stands to reason not a lot went on in the development field ***(edit) in fact i have my doubts they manufactured anything and were just selling stock***. So although some seem to think the next version came out some time in the late 80's i don't think it came till 90 or 91, i have positive proof of it from 92 which is the most seen variant, the fabled 87/88-94 pitbull or 90/1-94 pitbull, i think, till anyone proves me wrong. but things do go a little awry at this point...

followed by the 94 to 97 with an inch and an 8th headset although in this time they did produce variants in both headsets with either and both types of brake mount so they do blend into the final version which was the 97-99 Canti with the A head.

Followed by the identical Fuji Asian version. seen here in action...

I'd like somebody to prove me wrong again but i think these are exactly the same frame although they are stamped in a different place i think they were probably made in america but were warehouse stock. i hear a lot of talk which says different but i think at most they were US SE stock rewelded and the circumstantial evidence says more than the bull$hit so I doubt Fuji actually made their own bikes till their 2k version of which there seem to be 3 variants so far.

i would appreciate anyone who has solid proof that can put me wrong 

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 08:54 PM »
Mine is the same but its 87

My Pro XL was NOS when I got it as well Lee . . . and I was told it was 1987 too  :-\

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 12:23 AM »
Just the facts ma'am...

I've heard loads of speculation but as is often the case i think things get a little confused over time. I hear a lot of people telling me they were riding BMX in the late 70's too and although i don't doubt some were it's a little like the Pistols in Manchester in 77 if you know what i mean...

A good shout would be that pic of hoffman on a ripper? which model was it and what year? To be honest though things in the dead years are hard to narrow down for your average nerd such as myself. it's like the dark ages man  :buck2:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 12:32 AM by Bob_Acid »

theRuler

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2006, 09:35 AM »
the best one's that black one :)

scottyp

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006, 11:30 PM »
nah....i would go for the wrong-un. :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  can anyone date my ripper frame

gfxgfx
gfx gfx