gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 09:19 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Braising or welding needed
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Braising or welding needed  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Braising or welding needed
« on: August 12, 2013, 02:14 PM »
Okay. I'm fed up with searching for after market parts to adapt my frame set with so now, I'm looking for someone with the skills and time to braise or weld a set of 990 mounts and cable stay mounts and stops to my frame and fork. I will gather the said items needed and supply them with the frame and fork and post to you.

Are you able to or have done this procedure before? Would you like to take on this task?

I need a cable stop and 3 cable ties braised or welded to the downtube and 990 mounts braised or welded to the rear chainstays, just like this...

Thanks in advance  :)
BANNED

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
Re: Braising or welding needed
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 07:51 PM »
Okay. I'm fed up with searching for after market parts to adapt my frame set with so now, I'm looking for someone with the skills and time to braise or weld a set of 990 mounts and cable stay mounts and stops to my frame and fork. I will gather the said items needed and supply them with the frame and fork and post to you.

Are you able to or have done this procedure before? Would you like to take on this task?

I need a cable stop and 3 cable ties braised or welded to the downtube and 990 mounts braised or welded to the rear chainstays, just like this...

Thanks in advance  :)
need you ask... Sawsal I would think :daumenhoch:
Griff loves BUM..

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:00 PM »
another quality build by standard,they did mine.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 08:32 PM »
Are you seriously thinking of welding lugs to an old school trick star?

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:04 PM »
Sure am  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 10:06 PM »
I think braising is less intrusive then welding Terry, may be talking bollocks mind  :-\  :LolLolLolLol:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 07:11 AM »

Just sell it and buy a Standard trick star........miles better with proper geometry and built to take the abuse.

no one would want to buy it once you've added lugs and guides and you'll be stuck with it.

I'm loving that Standard in raw!  :smitten:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 07:14 AM by pickle »

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 12:55 PM »

Just sell it and buy a Standard trick star........miles better with proper geometry and built to take the abuse.

no one would want to buy it once you've added lugs and guides and you'll be stuck with it.

I'm loving that Standard in raw!  :smitten:
I can relate to what you are saying Rob but...I'm not building it to sell it, it's a progression to an old frame that quite frankly should have a 990 brake and, it's not old school unless it's old school.

If I buy one of those standards, it's like going out and just buying a NS bmx. That's not what it's about for me. I rode 80's bikes back in the 80's, not 2000's  :daumenhoch:

And speak of geometry, if you haven't had the privilege to ride an Exhibitionist, I would recommend it. Ian (Bodamus) will tell you, the geometry on it is superb, and for an '84 frame set, well, far ahead of it's time. I love it and ride it every day and if I could have a handful of these only in my little collection, I would be as happy as Larry   :)
BANNED

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 02:20 PM »
You say old school but by putting lugs and guides its no longer old school.........just buggered old school

Might be nice geometry but its not as good as a new school which can be made to your own spec top tube and so on.

Look at kappy and his disc mounts on his trick star..........just ridiculous.

In my opinion it'll just ruin a nice frame...........we all sell them in the end

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 02:31 PM »
A frame that is made in 1985 is 'old school' Rob. Just because you apply add on's, does not make it anything different. It enhances the ride-ability, if anything.

New school is new school. I wasn't born in the NS era and don't want to move to it, just better the 80's frame set I do have. My frame set, my rules  :daumenhoch:

Kappy's bike may be ridiculous to you, but I bet he loves it  :coolsmiley:
BANNED

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 03:06 PM »
Crazy if you ask me

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 03:23 PM »
Just out of curiosity Rob, what did you think of the Hutch Terry (Wildon) built? The baby blue one, a replica. The one where he cut and shunted an old school frame about?

Was that crazy too?
BANNED

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 04:28 PM »
I can see where you are both coming from.
I had a similar opinion last year when ed wanted to drill out his 2 hip big boy to fit a wal bashplate.
My opinion was that he was butchering a rare nos frame. So I didn't think it was a good idea to do at all. However since shiners found loads of them, and Everyman and his dog bought one I think it should be done.
I told ed to get on with it. But sadly he has sold the big boy and the bashplate. Coz he now owns a wal. I do also have a spare bashplate and a big boy frame. So I could do this myself. Which would be a bit ironic after I kicked up a fuss about it!  :LolLolLolLol:

I suppose if I do the conversion I will have to sit back and take a well deserved torrent of abuse from ed and his buddies.  :2gunsfiring_v1:  :2gunsfiring_v1:

As for kappys trickstar. I thought it was a great conversion. Done professionally using brazed welds. These can be reheated to remove the lugs. Without any damage to the frame. So he didn't destroy it.

I think the same will be for your trickstar. At the end of the day they might be a few quid to buy. But trickstars are not rare at all. So to modify one isn't a massive no no in my book.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 04:55 PM »
I can see where you are both coming from.
I had a similar opinion last year when ed wanted to drill out his 2 hip big boy to fit a wal bashplate.
My opinion was that he was butchering a rare nos frame. So I didn't think it was a good idea to do at all. However since shiners found loads of them, and Everyman and his dog bought one I think it should be done.
I told ed to get on with it. But sadly he has sold the big boy and the bashplate. Coz he now owns a wal. I do also have a spare bashplate and a big boy frame. So I could do this myself. Which would be a bit ironic after I kicked up a fuss about it!  :LolLolLolLol:

I suppose if I do the conversion I will have to sit back and take a well deserved torrent of abuse from ed and his buddies.  :2gunsfiring_v1:  :2gunsfiring_v1:

As for kappys trickstar. I thought it was a great conversion. Done professionally using brazed welds. These can be reheated to remove the lugs. Without any damage to the frame. So he didn't destroy it.

I think the same will be for your trickstar. At the end of the day they might be a few quid to buy. But trickstars are not rare at all. So to modify one isn't a massive no no in my book.  :daumenhoch:

How.Many.Full.Stops.Stu?

You sound a little bit like James T Kirk  :LolLolLolLol:
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 05:07 PM »
English wasn't really my forte.  :-[  :-\  :-X

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 05:13 PM »
Neither are 32x34 Levi jeans :LolLolLolLol:
Griff loves BUM..

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 05:21 PM »

;D :LolLolLolLol:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 06:03 PM »
Just out of curiosity Rob, what did you think of the Hutch Terry (Wildon) built? The baby blue one, a replica. The one where he cut and shunted an old school frame about?

Was that crazy too?

I can't remember that much about Wildons one but wasn't it to recreate a copy of a prototype or something? An old riders bike?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 06:15 PM by pickle »

Offline Julian347

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 06:13 PM »
Cruel :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 08:28 PM »
Cruel :LolLolLolLol:
he knows I love him.. :-*
Sorry Terry.
This bikes a keeper for him.. He already knows its going to be personalised to him Rob. Not a pop buds, but he's been planning this for a while. :daumenhoch:
Griff loves BUM..

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Braising or welding needed

gfxgfx
gfx gfx