gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 04:19 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  A one off frame and fork build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: A one off frame and fork build  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
A one off frame and fork build
« on: August 03, 2013, 09:25 PM »
Right guys. I have been thinking about this for a good while now and I think I will be going ahead with it so all your help and assistance will be vital  :coolsmiley:

I will be looking to build a freestyle frame and fork. What I would like you do for this part is list your favourite features from the old school freestyle frames and fork for some of them to be used on this. i.e I like the fork standers on the Trickstar fork, down low and thick tubing.

I would like you to keep things simple and please don't go off track and fill the thread with needless posts but please add pics too  :daumenhoch:

Firstly, it will be made from 4130 cro-moly with a NS geometry. What are your opinions on Braised or Tig welding? Which is the best and most economical to get done?
BANNED

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
Re: A one off frame and fork build
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 09:27 PM »
Also, should I run a mid BB or US BB  ???
BANNED

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 09:34 PM »
Sound like just my thing Terry. Who have you found to do it? I looked into it a while ago and while there are a fair few people who will make you a frame it always came in between 550 - 650 for a freestyler so i could never really justify the risk that my designs would ride well  :'(
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 09:43 PM »
Was my sort of thinking at the time  :daumenhoch:

The one continuous tube either side was the stumbling block but i did find a few places willing to take it on  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Si-ET

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 10:02 PM »
I think if you are getting a fabricactor to do it and is 'new school' he might not be able to use OA and do fillet brazing.
A braised frame looks the dogs but having said that if you get someone that's the dogs on a tig the welds look stunning.
Brazing may cost more as there's a bit more time involved.

rodriguez

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 10:18 PM »
Also, should I run a mid BB or US BB  ???

MID is a definite progression on the US BB that's what I'd use.

I'd also be thinking about disc brakes, not kidding either   :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 10:51 PM »
I remember that Clint  :daumenhoch:

I was chatting to one of the engineers at work today about welding etc etc and one thing led to another with hinself basically saying to me he knows a good few skilled guys in the trade and sure that I could get something knocked up  :daumenhoch:

He is going to have a chat with a friend of his for me so we shall see Clinty baby  :)  As for geometry mate, I will just take a NS frame set and use that. It's just a matter of finding something that is suitable to my height. I would definately like twin top or bottom tubes and maybe something different with the rear setup.

I think I can get either braised or Tig, it's just a matter of what is stronger and better longevity.

Disc brakes are a no go bro unluss I can get them to run round the centre of the hubs   ;D  I just couldn't imagine trying an endo to peg foot plant and slicing my shin down the disc to be honest  :D  Besides, Kappy has already done that.

I will be going back to a good old fashioned 990 on the rear somewhere and have a think about something to put on the front.
BANNED

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 11:01 PM »
You could do with having a few rides on other members new school stuff at a lock in or summat Terry and see what suits you  :daumenhoch: I have ridden quite a few recently and the only one i clicked with straight away way our kids subrossa ddt.
I literally got on it rode up a ramp and dropped in like i had been riding it for years and trust me that aint like me, i like a good half hour or so getting the feel for something before i get the bottle to do owt  :daumenhoch:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 11:02 PM »
ask standard to make it  ,they will do it.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 11:07 PM »
That may be a good starting point to be honest mate. I want to put a few old school touches to it though like Hutch fork standers, Curtis rear frame standers, 990 rear mounts with cables running internally. Stuff like that mate so, I thought I would ask everyone to get some pics up of their favourite parts.

I really like the Curtis rear stands -

BANNED

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 11:08 PM »
ask standard to make it  ,they will do it.
I will get on to them too, thanks  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 11:09 PM »
and make it long  8) ... with an assassin feel to it,
if that could work in a fs way, that is

dunno, this frame is just so super sexy
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109947.msg1079209.html#msg1079209

otherwise 20/II is always a good benchmark , sexyness wise.

sorry, please continue   :yahoo_silent:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 11:15 PM »
Hope your feeling flush Terry the problem with having a custom frame is the temptation to have custom parts too  :-X

Offline PK.RIPPER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 11:40 PM »
The problem is with the Curtis rear hoops is that your heals keep catching them as you ride which is not good at all. I had a Curtis freestyler but couldn't bloody ride the thing.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 11:43 PM »
the temptation to have custom parts too  :-X
:LolLolLolLol:  Thats you all over Clint  :D

Florian, not my cup of tea mate, sorry. It's an SE  :D   ;D
BANNED

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 11:46 PM »
The problem is with the Curtis rear hoops is that your heals keep catching them as you ride which is not good at all. I had a Curtis freestyler but couldn't bloody ride the thing.
Great info mate, thanks. This is the stuff I am after, experience and first hand issues. I can maybe re-think the position of them and the length of the rear stays too with this info  :)
BANNED

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 11:54 PM »
Don't worry about forks bro, I have those Gregg Melms custom made 1-1/8" forks like Bottemas  :coolsmiley:

Go euro bb, steep head tube, long front and shlammed back end. Not too high on the bb and make it look old school.

Oh. That would be my Retro goose :LolLolLolLol:
Still limping......

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 12:16 AM »
Terry, just remembered i thought about getting a mock up made from copper pipe just to get a feel for things. Its relatively cheap, easily sourced, bent and soldered.
I know from experience you can design stuff on a computer till the cows come home but there is no substituting having it there in the flesh and i think the extra cost would be worth it for the piece of mind of knowing you are getting exactly what you want. Its also handy for checking clearances etc.:daumenhoch:

I had a lovely looking design for my new brake system but when i got a prototype body laser cut out of plastic i found it was catching the crank arms slightly. Reducing it enough to be sure it would clear any crank used meant a partial rejig of the internal mechanism  ::)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 12:21 AM by oldschoolace »

Offline PK.RIPPER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 01:31 AM »
Great info mate, thanks. This is the stuff I am after, experience and first hand issues. I can maybe re-think the position of them and the length of the rear stays too with this info  :)

:daumenhoch:

Offline brakedancer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 10:19 PM »
get a kappa.... ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  A one off frame and fork build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx