gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 01:43 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Lead filling and powder coating
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Lead filling and powder coating  (Read 569 times)

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Lead filling and powder coating
« on: July 23, 2013, 07:29 PM »
Am i right in thinking using a lead filler (like they use at car body shops) will allow a powdercoat finish?

I have a pitted and dinted frame i want to tart up and lead seems the logical way to go  :-\
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Hiro Tonka

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Lead filling and powder coating
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 07:36 PM »
Wondering the same myself, is there anything on Ebay a novice could use before getting a F+F powder coated?

Steven

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 07:38 PM »
Am i right in thinking using a lead filler (like they use at car body shops) will allow a powdercoat finish?

I have a pitted and dinted frame i want to tart up and lead seems the logical way to go  :-\

it will be fine as i've done loads that swasall has worked on, bit of a warning though, who
ever powder coats it, ask them to bake the frame at 180c first let it cool down as the first
time the lead can bubble, what i do is bake the frame, let it cool down, flat the lead smooth
again then powder coat the frame :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 07:43 PM »
Thanks Dan thats great info, i was hoping you would chime in  :daumenhoch:

Lead melts about 320 degrees and from what i could find on the net powder ovens fire at around 200 degrees  ??? so it did seem possible. Good to get the experts opinion on it though.  ;)

Cheers Dan  :4_17_5:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 07:47 PM »
Bugger - I've used silver solder before - cost's a frikkin fortune though in sticks.....

What's the lead you're gonna use?
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 09:48 PM »
I guess something like this should do the trick. Think i have an old bar knocking round  ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lead-Solder-Sticks-for-Lead-loading-Repair-2-/250925790587?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item3a6c57b57b

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 10:25 PM »
Thanks Dan thats great info, i was hoping you would chime in  :daumenhoch:

Lead melts about 320 degrees and from what i could find on the net powder ovens fire at around 200 degrees  ??? so it did seem possible. Good to get the experts opinion on it though.  ;)

Cheers Dan  :4_17_5:

no probs, it's not the lead melting but air trapped in the lead that causes the bubbling, thats why i bake the lead first to degass the lead, once thats done it should be fine :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Lead filling and powder coating

gfxgfx
gfx gfx