gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975626 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 28, 2024, 07:58 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Newb Headset question....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Newb Headset question....  (Read 440 times)

Festerfly

Newb Headset question....
« on: August 03, 2006, 12:04 PM »
If a frame starts with 1" threaded forks, can it easily be changed to the later 1 1/8" non threaded (i.e is it just a case of replacing the complete headset with cups aswell?)

Also, how do i tell if a frame is for which fork size as i have a spare frame which will take both sizes (the cups are still in the frame) obviously the larger threadless forks are a snug fit  to start with...without bearings etc..

Sorry if its a stupid question....  :D

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Newb Headset question....
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 12:08 PM »
dont quote me on this 1" will only take 1" forks ..1 1/8 can take both styles of fork you need reducers to take head stock size down

Festerfly

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 12:12 PM »
so does that mean i can buy a 1" headset and fit one of the many forks i have lying around or do i just go an buy some bearings and reuse the exisiting cups? lol

i measured the inside of the cups (where the fork stem passes through and the diameter was 1.125"... but this is the same size as my 'haro' and that one has a 1" threaded fork.....

just wondering if i can get away with teh smaller forks as i can get DB threade headsets for £3.90 a set! and that would help! lol

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 12:14 PM »
fruity and ruler have done the 1/18th into 1inch frames
so yes it can be done
just use loose bearings not in there cages

Festerfly

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 12:21 PM »
excellent, will do a few more bits of measuring and get down the shop! lol

ta

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Newb Headset question....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx