gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 10:17 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Mid school speculative hoarding
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mid school speculative hoarding  (Read 557 times)

Online oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Mid school speculative hoarding
« on: June 28, 2013, 11:36 PM »
Sure i started a thread like this a while back but it seems to have gone.. anyway,
been offered a little batch of mid school stuff including early g spot/sport bits all nos.
I'm guessing it will be worth something to someone but do you think any mid school stuff will ever fetch the dizzy prices of some old school stuff in the future?

Please dont pm me for bits/ info it's just a general topic for debate  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
Re: Mid school speculative hoarding
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 11:56 PM »
I believe Mid School prices will equal and possibly surpass those of Old school (broadly speaking) for a few reasons.

1) Any collecting / hobby prices peak when the generation who aspired to it back in the day as their greatest disposable income. So for example, if you were 10 years old in 1984 and drooled all over the Hutch Pro Racer in your local store but couldn't afford one, chances are when you turn 40 you will have more money (and a mid life crisis) and pay top dollar to now own the bike you longed for as a kid. This pattern drives the prices up and acuses the "peaks" in value you see every era go through 20-30 years after it originally happened. Just like old school, mid school will also go through this in 10-20 years time.

2) Bikes were made in far fewer numbers then old school bikes. By the very nature of the fact there are fewer mid school bikes around when the peak hits one can only assume people will pay more to get their hands on one. You can already see this in the prices of 1st Gen Hoffmans, Haro Airmasters, Early S&M, WAL, etc, etc are already fetching prices that rival some of the most desirable old school bikes. And keep in mind the Mid School bubble is still growing as the 90s generation of riders comes around.

3) Mid School was just way cooler in any case.  :LolLolLolLol:

Saying that, at the end of the day does it really matter? I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to consider hoarding bikes as an investment. If you do that you will live poor, and die poorer.  :LolLolLolLol:

***Wanted - Cash waiting***
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Online oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 12:06 AM »
Great response Jon. My thoughts are the same hence the thread. Have noticed a few mid school bits becoming desirable and like you say the generation who grew up with mid school will soon be hitting their mid life crisis point if they havn't already
:LolLolLolLol:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 09:01 AM »
I think the day you look at stuff as an investment, you've lost the whole reason for doing it.

Collect or build for the love of it, not to make money from it

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 09:15 AM »
I think the day you look at stuff as an investment, you've lost the whole reason for doing it.

Collect or build for the love of it, not to make money from it

My thoughts exactly. To be honest, given the relatively cheap prices mid stuff sells for I think it's fair to say most of us are in it for the love if it. I've yet to meet someone who actually looks at building bikes as a profitable exercise. Those that do generally shift things on before the dust has had a chance to settle on them anyway.
***Wanted - Cash waiting***
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Online oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 10:51 AM »
Dont get me wrong, i think anyone who thinks they can make pots of money out of bmx is a bit daft. I was just wondering if mid school would become as large/collectible as old school given its recent surge in interest coupled with the relatively limited pool of parts and also if you consider this was an age when bikes were really thrashed so i imagine decent second hand parts may be thin on the ground too  ???

Offline stevesredvxr

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 10:56 AM »
What is 'Mid School'?

I keep hearing about it but not sure what it is or if it really ever happened?

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 09:43 PM »
well if you do buy the bits and theres a front G sport hub in red give me a shout  :)
dave the bmxing gypo

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Mid school speculative hoarding

gfxgfx
gfx gfx