gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 08:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Looking for a Skyway Coaster expert
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Looking for a Skyway Coaster expert  (Read 547 times)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Looking for a Skyway Coaster expert
« on: June 30, 2013, 09:37 PM »
I am running an ACS freecoaster on my Skyway. When I fitted, I took it all apart slowly to see what was what and where everything goes. Anyways, I greased the bearings and put the coaster plates and fitted that part back in the hub. I then greased the bearings on the opposite side, fitted the large stub bolt, fitted the cone and done the axle up. I tightened so there was no play and then fitted the locking nut. I put on the ACS freewheel, done up the fixing plate, fitted to bike and have been riding it since, no problems.

Today on the way home, when 'freecoasting', I am getting a clicking noise like bearings when they are fooked. No noise when pedalling. So I got home, stripped it all, cleaned all the grease off and off the coaster plates. I re-packed all the bearings, fitted the coaster back, adjusted the axle so the wheel spins smooth, fiited the freewheel and put it back on the bike.

Now, upside, I pedal the wheel and no noise. When I 'freecoast' it, I get the same clicking like notchy bearings.

Would it/could it be the freewheel? Or could it be the coaster plates tapping when the hub is spinning?

I don't want it fooking up and it's doing my head in. The freewheel used to click too when freecoasting but doesn't now, if that helps  :(
BANNED

Offline not johndub71

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Looking for a Skyway Coaster expert
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 01:01 PM »
II am sure the ACS free coaster conversion cog is actually a free wheel on an adaptor plate, hence your clicking. Back spin the pedals, if it ticks, its the free wheel making the noise, not the wheel.
Facebook/Fr35Hair

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 01:34 PM »
Make sure the driver isn't trying to chuck itself out of the hub as well - I've done it putting em back together and on testing the drivers trying to come out of the hub - makes it unthread and clack like a b@stard.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 02:09 PM »
"hi i just got a freecoaster and it clicks when i stop pedalling is this normal

->http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/freecoaster-clicking,259112?page=1
three guys answer smth like this:
- "all freecoasters do this when you first get them (well most of them) its just the clutch sticking into the drive peice. idk the real names sorry it will break in after a while
- "i havnt had a fc in a yr but when i had it it would make noises when the cahin was too tight, and also made noise right when i got it

this too maybe:
"I just got my _________ freecoaster and it tries to stay engaged after I stop pedaling (sometimes makes a clicking noise)… Is this bad?

http://www.free-coaster.com/articles/troubleshooting/

"I know this seems bad, but it really is not. What is happening (as with many brand new freecoasters) is that the “splines” on the drive side of the clutch are sharp When they dig into the hub shell, they stick pretty well, and do not want to release back off. I usually recommend that people just ride the hub for about a week or week and a half, then pull it all apart, clean it all off (watch for bits of metal), then
re-grease and put it all back together. You will notice this feeling start to go away over time. If you have an unsealed freecoaster, then you may want to do
this sooner than that, as the bearings have much less protection from metal shavings
Some people will tell you to just put grease on the splines. Although this does quiet the hub down, it increases the risk of the clutch slipping off of the hub shell (which is not fun for you knees).   "

...?!?  ???
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:20 PM by fischflo »

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 08:11 PM »
Well, guys, thanks for the input, appreciate it.

I actually had a 4 hour break today so took the opportunity to use the workshop and a huge stack of Snap-On tools  >:D

I stripped the coaster again, put everything in the degreaser so it was all nice and clean and set about putting it all back together, again  :crazy2:

Well, I fitted all the bearings and stuff and not a peep from anything. However, when I dropped the freecoaster onto the driver and fitted the securing plate, I spun the wheel and had the clunking  :yahoo_silent:

I think, Dan, you may be right and the driver is knocking back and forth and causing the awful noise. I will run it for longer and see how it goes, keeping an eye on the hub plates of course  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Looking for a Skyway Coaster expert

gfxgfx
gfx gfx