gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 07:35 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Once You Go Black You Never Go Back !!! Here's My Black Bird ......
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Once You Go Black You Never Go Back !!! Here's My Black Bird ......  (Read 6079 times)

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Ok ,

So Spadey99 had this in the For sale section for quite a while, Cant imagine why really as the price was good the condition of the Frame & Forks was excellent but things have been slow to move recently.

Honestly growing up I was never really a fan of the DP Firebird Freestyler, it was just too simple & to be honest it was quite a cheap little thing compared to the competition but they sold a shed load of them so something must have been right, I kept looking at this & a ridiculously priced Rickman on ebay so I bough this to add to my British Bike collection & to stop myself from bidding the the Rickman (Ended up with them both)  So when this turned up i wasn't really sure if id like it or if i was up for the build as I'd spent a fortune ???

But , I'm glad i did & I have to say Im now a big fan.

OK so the plan was to strip the decals & go with Green & Chrome as a new decal combination or Gold Chrome for a twist but when the bike arrived it was in such good condition it made sense to go with the Red Chrome combo it already had .

One thing was for sure I didn't want to do the usual (red chainring red stem red Brakes combo) & build it up the way it's most likely been done so many times before so I decided to custom build & do it a little (((stealthier))) if that's even a word & just using (red) as an accent colour to a lesser degree than normal.

Some of you know that I recently stripped down My Vector MK 2 (F&F is still for sale) & this was the first time i've ever broken up a build ( i hated doing it) but the seat GT seat post bars stem grips tuffs & whitewall tyres came from there but they lend themselves to this build perfectly, & the Vector VC-10 bars  looking proud up front & as Vector put it in their adverts (((for those who want more knee room up front ))) & who doesn't at our age !

Took forever to strip the powder off of the Layback which was white & to take it back to chrome but it was well worth it, I already had an odyssey seat post clamp (not sure why i bought it now)I think it was for my GT Performer, but i placed it on the bike just to see how the colour worked & It just really grew on me & I think it really (Rocks the bike up a tad)....

The Tange LP-440 headlock which was (GOLD) i sprayed Black (as i can always strip it back afterwards if need be) & I polished off the black paint on the alloy bits on my wheel.

I then purchased the power disc on here & it was Mint ! So i decided to add a chain ring that i'd purchased for a (Hutch Build) thats on it's way & made it pop with red anodised Bolts just to keep the colour balance nice with the rest of the bike & keep it custom.

The re-pop Kashimax already had red rails & works a treat:

The Callipers came from Spen, they were stripped back to bare alloy when i got them. I've gone with the mx 900 on the rear (as the overhang on the 1000 looked too ugly) & the mx 1000 went on the front , again (if i can get another MX 900 for the front I'll swap this over as it'll look a lot cleaner.

I drilled out the Quick release levers from the callipers, painted them & added new decals before sending them over to (Animal Steve) to re fit the levers (had to touch up the paint a little when they came back as the paint flaked when Steve fitted the levers (as they were polished before they were painted) school boy error on my behalf but they look Sweet now & Ive used skyway fins with rubber washers to fir the rear calliper to the flat brake bridge.

So here she is, apologies for the crap weather & Pics  but hey i cant do anything about that but you'll get the idea. Hope I did her Justice so anyway Heres My Custom Firebird freestyler, Pads were ordered last night from Steve & she's good to go !

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
too true!  i ended up marrying mine  ;D  (don't mean a DP either)

absolutely gorgeous freestyler by the way  :daumenhoch:

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
too true!  i ended up marrying mine

If only your Mrs read this  :10_2_12:

Looks very tidy  :daumenhoch:

and a few nice touches (Red Railed Kashi) as well

:4_17_5:

I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
 ;D  there's a few of us that would be in the same boat though hey  ;D

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
too true!  i ended up marrying mine  ;D  (don't mean a DP either)

absolutely gorgeous freestyler by the way  :daumenhoch:

Cheers buddy ! this really was an unexpected build & I love how it's come out   :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
have you ridden it yet?  ???

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Nice, tidy build that buddy. Well put together and thought out. The whitewalls work a treat too  :4_17_5:
BANNED

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
Very nice build, would Skyway pegs cover the long axels on the front wheel? Could be a nice finishing touch...?  :4_17_5:

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
.... also the Vectors work great on this dp 8) very nice  :smitten:

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Very nice build, would Skyway pegs cover the long axels on the front wheel? Could be a nice finishing touch...?  :4_17_5:

Ive got some mate & ive been trying to fit them but for some reason the thread on the fronts don't seem to like the pegs once they are half way on. They have not threded but are getting there & I dont want to force the issue .

The axles are long anyway so the plan is to cut them down & screw them on hopefully later this afternoon if i get time  :daumenhoch:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:

They don't Chris, I tried on my Street Beat, and still had to cut the axles to take the Skyway pegs.

Great DP by the way. :coolsmiley:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
i think the fronts are either 26tpi or 24tpi or vice versa  :-\  if the pegs fit the rears and not the fronts they'll be different tpi's  :daumenhoch:

dp and Chopper Dude

Hmm that's a belter! I've always fancied a black dp  :daumenhoch:

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:

They don't Chris, I tried on my Street Beat, and still had to cut the axles to take the Skyway pegs.

Great DP by the way. :coolsmiley:

Ah this is good to know, I might cut down the fronts & either try again with the pegs or cap them off.. Im sure the rears are 24tpi .

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
Didn't Skyway do a 24/26 TPI peg with a different thread at each end or was that in impostor?

Sounds like you do have a TPI issue so if you do cut to fit I wouldn't recommend standing on them!

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Didn't Skyway do a 24/26 TPI peg with a different thread at each end or was that in impostor?

Sounds like you do have a TPI issue so if you do cut to fit I wouldn't recommend standing on them!

You are not wrong there mate !  :daumenhoch:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
That looks fantastic Callum. Black with chrome touches is a great combo but the red is really the best touch.

Can't say it would be rideable with those crazy bars and barmy head tube angle but it looks the mutts nuts mate. Bring it with you on Saturday and I'll give it a go >:D

Tuffs definitely have different tpi front and rear. I'll bring the black wheel nuts I have and if they fit you can have them bud to finish it off :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 01:52 PM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
be good to meet you on Saturday Callum  :daumenhoch:  bring it along so we can all see how awful it is to ride  ;D   ;)

Jaypeg

Looks sweet bud... Amber walls for me but each to there own :daumenhoch:

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
be good to meet you on Saturday Callum  :daumenhoch:  bring it along so we can all see how awful it is to ride  ;D   ;)

Likewise,  & SPEN you're a gent !

I'd definitely gonna try to nip down, wont be riding as my Coccyx is still giving me a load of grief after landing on it at TRM1 2 weeks ago !!! But I'll bring the DP if you want so that you can (Polish her) . Would need to do adjustments to the brakes take out the rubber washers etc to ride it & I don't want to mark the frame but you can look  ;)

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Looks sweet bud... Amber walls for me but each to there own :daumenhoch:

I did debate this but ive got some lined up for my next build (Also Black) & it'll suit that one more i reckon.  :daumenhoch: Everyone round our way either had old comp 3's or whitewalls (michelin ones mainly ) so I always tend to lean towards them. The tyres i really want are some of these (for a Different build mind), If anyone knows where i can find some I'd really appreciate it been after some since i got back in to BMX.

I got the pic from the museum I think the members name is Jezza: They Are Kenda Whitewall freestyle tyres, my mate had some of these when we were kids & I've always been desperate to get some new & i think they made them until reasonably recently  so someone must have some stashed away. Gonna put an ad in the wanted but some help that was , Ive been after Blue  alloy hubbed Tuffs for ages & Hunterdubber apparently dropped 2 sets last night.

Offline spadey99

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Lovely job mate done it proud..... :smitten:
Bikes are there to be ridden, so why do I have so many.....

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Lovely job mate done it proud..... :smitten:

Glad you like it mate, thanks for doing the deal on it  :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Loving that, looks great  :4_17_5:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
That is a sweet bird.. I have seen a few black birds and this is beauty :4_17_5:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Once You Go Black You Never Go Back !!! Here's My Black Bird ......

gfxgfx
gfx gfx