gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 11:19 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  My seatpost is stuck , no (not in my ass) in my frame... please help...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My seatpost is stuck , no (not in my ass) in my frame... please help...  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:

Ok so im sure this has happened many times before but I have a Renthall seatpost that came with a bike i purchased the other day & it's  severely stuck in place in the frame  , i've tried spraying gt75 every day for the last 4 days where it enters the frame & also down inside the post in to the frame & then turning the frame upside down in order to get the oil to soak in from the inside . Then i've had it in a vice but it will not move at all.

Any methods that have worked for you guys wold be greatly appreciated as this is annoying the hell out of me.

Cheers :daumenhoch:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Ah the old stuck seatpost conundrum  :smitten:  :LolLolLolLol:
First things first is the frame ali or steel?
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Ah the old stuck seatpost conundrum  :smitten:  :LolLolLolLol:
First things first is the frame ali or steel?

it's a 531 frame !

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Ok so melting it out gradually with caustic soda is a final option  :D

First try giving the post a sharp smack down further into the tube with a hammer to break the "seal" then try it in the vice again
If its slipping in the vice drill a hole throught the top of the post big enough for a decent sized alen key or something similar and try in the vice again

Other options are:
Cutting down the lenght of the post with a hacksaw blade, a ballache!
Drilling out with the right sized bit, difficult  :(
Heat? not the greatest of ideas usually
A bigger vice  ;D
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Ok so melting it out gradually with caustic soda is a final option  :D

First try giving the post a sharp smack down further into the tube with a hammer to break the "seal" then try it in the vice again
If its slipping in the vice drill a hole throught the top of the post big enough for a decent sized alen key or something similar and try in the vice again

Other options are:
Cutting down the lenght of the post with a hacksaw blade, a ballache!
Drilling out with the right sized bit, difficult  :(
Heat? not the greatest of ideas usually
A bigger vice  ;D

Ok I'll get back on it n the morning , Cheers for the er  (options)  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
Callum I knew this was you just be reading the title  ;D
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
you best bet is leverage  :)

clamp an old stem onto the post... put a piece of pole over the stem's 'stem'... put the frame on the floor...stand on it... push the pipe down ( gently back and forth )

The alloy post will either work loose and come out or snap off ... then you need to melt it out  :daumenhoch:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline spadey99

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Only Success ive had mate is heat........ But very very carefully.......  :tickedoff:
Bikes are there to be ridden, so why do I have so many.....

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
you best bet is leverage  :)

clamp an old stem onto the post... put a piece of pole over the stem's 'stem'... put the frame on the floor...stand on it... push the pipe down ( gently back and forth )

The alloy post will either work loose and come out or snap off ... then you need to melt it out  :daumenhoch:

Sounds interesting, ok well tonight i literally ripped the vice off of the bench (it was only G-clamped on but the whole of the bench top came off !!!!! Grrrrr been on the Protein (Not)...
Filled the post & frame with gt 85 sealed the end with plastic bags & tape & flipped the frame upside down to see if it works it's way between the post & frame on from the insde of the frame.
I'll leave until Sunday & If i cant get it out of the frame Im considering cutting down the post then getting out the dremel & cutting down the  recess at the back of the frame hen start cutting the post from the inside of the post outwards towards the frame if that makes sense ?

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
The key thing is to break the "corrosion weld" by knocking the post down a bit first. Should twist out a treat then  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  My seatpost is stuck , no (not in my ass) in my frame... please help...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx