gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 04:27 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  New School Brake build dilemma
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New School Brake build dilemma  (Read 596 times)

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
New School Brake build dilemma
« on: May 04, 2013, 10:07 AM »
Ok I'm doing my first new school build,

I want to run front & rear brakes but the Oddy tyre on the front is a 20 x 2.25 & its touching the u brake callipers in various places as it's just too big. I definitely want to run a front so has any one got a suggestion of a good whitewall or tan wall tyre set up that will work & what is the maximim size for a front running a u- brake ???

Cheers!

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: New School Brake build dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 10:17 AM »
Youll probably be looking to run a maximum 2.0 width to save it from fouling the caliper.  Or maybe even a 1.9.....what caliper ate you using?

Most new school rides dont have a front brake and a bigger front tyre gives you more meat where its needed  :daumenhoch:

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 11:26 AM »
Youll probably be looking to run a maximum 2.0 width to save it from fouling the caliper.  Or maybe even a 1.9.....what caliper ate you using?

Most new school rides dont have a front brake and a bigger front tyre gives you more meat where its needed  :daumenhoch:

Alright Gav, Yeah Ive not ridden a bike for 20 years mate & old habits die hard, just bought a 2012 Haro 500.1 frame &  2011 500.3 forks with lugs for u brakes Im using a set of Xposure brakes for now.

Was thinking Xposure dave's  or Primo v monsters 1.95   

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 12:02 PM »
Go with v monsters, 1.95 rear and 2.1 up front will give enough clearance for your brakes

Exposure chas n daves offer feck all grip.... avoid!
2 minutes turkish...

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 12:50 PM »
Go with v monsters, 1.95 rear and 2.1 up front will give enough clearance for your brakes

Exposure chas n daves offer feck all grip.... avoid!

Awesome cheers mate !

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 03:00 PM »
you might find that you don't need to run and front brake if you don't do any tricks that you can't foot jam (foot behind forks on the tyre and jam it under the forks to flip up the back)

I thought that I would want a front brake, but after riding with out one and feeling safe if stopping hard with the grip that the back brake gives - it works for me  ;)

try the big tyre without a front brake and see how you get on  :daumenhoch:
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  New School Brake build dilemma

gfxgfx
gfx gfx