gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 11:57 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  skyway axle conversion?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: skyway axle conversion?  (Read 851 times)

cdt808

skyway axle conversion?
« on: April 29, 2013, 08:46 PM »
Guys, I bought an axle kit from bendy as the axle and cone nuts on my skyways were looking rusty. Problem is that now that I have taken them apart I realise that I have loose ball bearings and bendy's set has them in a race. Can a loose ball skyway be converted to use the bearing race type (shown in the photo) or am I going to have to just clean up what I have?

Did think that maybe I could try taking the collar off the cone nut and use the cone nut with the loose bearings I have ... is that possible?

many thanks for any help....

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
Re: skyway axle conversion?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 10:21 PM »
You need to take the cap out  ;)  gently with a spoon ease out the cap which holds done the loose bearings - this may bend a bit but can be hammered back flat on edges
Once this is out then you will find that the cage sits in the cup and the top should fit back on or you can use the cone nut cap as it is (you need just to knock it off if using the org cap

try that mate - didn't realise that the cap hadn't been taken off

cheers B  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

cdt808

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 10:25 PM »
ah - ok mate - I'll try that  :daumenhoch:

The images I had seen when trying to look it up all had that removed but the last thing I wanted to do was to try to remove it, make a mess and then have someone tell me I'd screwed up the wheel! I cleaned everything up with the cap still in place....

So, is the idea that the cap goes back over the top of the cone nut once its been fitted? Thanks for the reply chap  :)

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 06:14 AM »
Clint-if you  bend the cap then tap it gently with a small socket on a flat surface to get it back in shape before you re-fit it :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

cdt808

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 07:47 AM »
Clint-if you  bend the cap then tap it gently with a small socket on a flat surface to get it back in shape before you re-fit it :daumenhoch:

cool - thanks mate, I'll have a go tonight if I get 5 minutes.....  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 07:59 AM »
it's a piece of cake once you have a go  :daumenhoch:

cdt808

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 06:51 PM »
ok - so had a go when I got home tonight.... the caps came easily with a spoon (which made it much easier to clean  ;)  ... and now the rearing race and new cone nut fits in nicely,

However, now the cap won't go back on as it sits about 2-3mm proud on the wheel. It is the same regardless of using the old loose bearings or the new bearing race. Am i supposed to be trying to fit the cap back on or does it have to stay off when using the new cone nuts?

can take a photo later if it helps.... thanks for any help/advice chaps

cdt808

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 07:41 PM »
all sorted  8)

I ended up removing the collars of the new cone nuts. This allowed them to fit in with the bearings through the hole in the top plate. All looks identical to the loose ball bearing set up now. Keeping the loose ball bearings and cone nuts as it was just the axle and nuts that needed replacing....

can start building a bike for me to ride now  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  skyway axle conversion?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx