gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 01:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  83 HARO Build Diary & Voyage of Discovery.FINISHED (((FOR NOW AT LEAST)))
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 83 HARO Build Diary & Voyage of Discovery.FINISHED (((FOR NOW AT LEAST)))  (Read 24410 times)

retrogeezer

I'm sure DC did make green MX1000's..

yeah, weren't they painted green rather than annodised?

yep, painted Rob. I have a nos set somewhere....  kerching!

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
 ;D  deffo mate  :daumenhoch:

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
I've got one of the 5 anodised  mx1000s ever made. Custom made for the team floval flyers again only 5 made. Not relevant to this topic mind  ^"^
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
I've got one of the 5 anodised  mx1000s ever made. Custom made for the team floval flyers again only 5 made. Not relevant to this topic mind  ^"^

Not if you're asking silly money for them no  ;)        You could always send me a pm & pics  :daumenhoch:

Offline double chevron

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Do it your way Callum as we used to update our parts every time we had the money :coolsmiley:

Like the sound of anno green calipers- now that would be different :daumenhoch:

This was the kind of thing i've had in mind for a while now for this bike  after seeing these Formos MX1000 copies, but having looked around I see that someone has actually already done this & on the same bloody bike as well  >:( >:( >:(  :-\   (((((((I don't know, i was trying to be original as well )))))))!!! GUTTED....

Thanks for sharing the whole build process, if you ever need an opinion on something already done  :-* , I would have kept the original decals, can't be so many unrestored examples now...

I remember that stupid fekker with the green brakes on a Gen1, haha  ;)
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=136020.0

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Do it your way Callum as we used to update our parts every time we had the money :coolsmiley:

Like the sound of anno green calipers- now that would be different :daumenhoch:

This was the kind of thing i've had in mind for a while now for this bike  after seeing these Formos MX1000 copies, but having looked around I see that someone has actually already done this & on the same bloody bike as well  >:( >:( >:(  :-\   (((((((I don't know, i was trying to be original as well )))))))!!! GUTTED....

Thanks for sharing the whole build process, if you ever need an opinion on something already done  :-* , I would have kept the original decals, can't be so many unrestored examples now...

I remember that stupid fekker with the green brakes on a Gen1, haha  ;)
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=136020.0

Haha sweet, I love em !!!!  :smitten:  Seriously think will be get some anno'd now  :daumenhoch:

chubby

looking sweeter now callum, like has been said nail whatever you want to it,we all updated parts for the latest stuff b.i.t.d anyway & try to be different to the others around....  :daumenhoch:

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
i'd get one side anno'ed green and the other side silver to match the lightning bolt cables.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
I've got one of the 5 anodised  mx1000s ever made. Custom made for the team floval flyers again only 5 made. Not relevant to this topic mind  ^"^

Not if you're asking silly money for them no  ;)        You could always send me a pm & pics  :daumenhoch:

It won't be going anywhere fella as its part of a very special bike  :daumenhoch:

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:

It won't be going anywhere fella as its part of a very special bike  :daumenhoch:

Ah no sorry that's not what I meant bud,  as i know they would be a ridiculous price if they were for sale!  I meant that it would be good to see them as I've never seen any before... Are the on a Flyer then ? Would love to see it  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Needs a snake post  :daumenhoch:

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:

High class taste indeed....

I've got one of the 5 anodised  mx1000s ever made. Custom made for the team floval flyers again only 5 made. Not relevant to this topic mind  ^"^

Not if you're asking silly money for them no  ;)        You could always send me a pm & pics  :daumenhoch:
Ah no sorry that's not what I meant bud,  as i know they would be a ridiculous price if they were for sale!  I meant that it would be good to see them as I've never seen any before... Are the on a Flyer then ? Would love to see it  :daumenhoch:

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:

High class taste indeed....

Not if you're asking silly money for them no  ;)        You could always send me a pm & pics  :daumenhoch:

Tasty ! :daumenhoch:

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:

Now that would look cool  8)

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Did they do Elina UL snake post combo in  GREEN that would look great and  I dare say very rare

One green dustcap and one blue dustcap   :daumenhoch:

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:

Now that would look cool  8)
     (((((((((Snake post))))))) oh dear lord not on my bike :knuppel2:

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Did they do Elina UL snake post combo in  GREEN that would look great and  I dare say very rare

One green dustcap and one blue dustcap   

now ya talking about cool  :coolsmiley:
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
I gotta nice NOS set of Green MX1000's

:angel:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Great project, Looks great  :daumenhoch:

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
OK UPDATE SO FAR :

so I scored some tuffs off the bay: They were pretty rough & not cheap:

I stripped these down & sent them off to Nick at the Aqua blast centre in Donny, postage for the round trip is around £24 TNT.

Nick had to have a go at them twice to bring them up to standard  (so the price went up)  but overall the job is good. Yes the tuffs are textured somewhat now but I actually don't mind the finish at all & also the hubs have been dulled down. Nick did try to cover the hubs to some degree but in the end this cover failed as he took a longer amount of time than normal on the wheels. Im not going to metal polish them as it's just too messy so I'm leaving them with the matt sheen which again I like so (bonus). :daumenhoch:

(Sorry for the i phone pics) but here's some images showing the aquablasted set next to a single new tuff to show you the difference. The thing to remember with white wheels  is they all come up differently with aqua blasting, this depends on how old & how dirty they are,  plus how much UV they have been exposed to in their life so I was never expecting miracles.

The tyres i have are Kenda K55's I managed to get 2 sets of these shipped over from Australia from a store that won't normally ship to the UK. After some persuasion I managed to talk them round & they are now willing to ship me more if i want them  :daumenhoch: I'm so glad they did as I love the way they look. Unfortunately postage from Australia is way more expensive than from America but I've not seen these tyres on sale there anyway (I'm guessing it's possibly an SMU ordered by the Australian distributor)  I know that Chen Shin also do these SMU'S  in the USA as I've bought 2 sets of white from over there. Either way for 2 sets of these plus the shipping it's less than half the price of 1 pair of Panaracers in the UK  :daumenhoch: Also Blue was a little more like Mike D's ride but i didn't want to use comp 3's a i cant stand them of freestyle bikes.

Next up was choosing the pedals, I'd bought all kinds of different bear traps in Blue but wanted something a bit more authentic, I had an old set of Shimano dx pedals that were red in the garage (forgot to photograph them in their used state ) but i stripped them down replaced the 1/2 " Spindles  with 9/16 & painted them myself (got to be honest here I'M STOKED with the results), the colour match's perfectly with the other parts which I'll come on too later.

I decided to Keep the Sugino CT175's & wrap them in a 43t Blue Suntour Chain ring to match the Suntour Headlock & then I found a NOS Suntour Seatpost clamp & the colour matches  up just beautifully with the pedal colour so it all works really well as I hate too many shades of the same colout on a bike.

For the handlebars I've gone with are Haro Vector Replicas  (they look sooo right on this frame set)  & I went with the Oakley F! Grips that i bought from Eamon & he basically delivered them to me (Lovely bloke if you've not met him).

So to the brakes & callipers,  well for now as I have so much going on I'm sticking with the 1984 DC 901 & Tech 4 combo but I am having some mx 1000's & repop tech 3' Anno'd green to see what they look like.

As it was a sunny day on Friday I took the bike outside to take a couple of shots & added a white chain that I'd bought for another build (my intention was to have a blue chain) but I actually really like it once it was on.

So to my surprise there she was (Finished) well for now at least, need to drop the seat post a tad but here she is.  Dec 1983 Haro freestyler.  

Makes a nice addition to the Kitchen !

Parts List:
1983 Haro Freestyler Gen 2
Bob Haro Vector Replica bars
Oakley F1 Grips
DC Tech 4 levers
DC Cables
DC 901's
Flex Fighter
Suntour Head Lock
Tioga Headset
Generic Seat post (might be Haro)
Suntour Seat post Clamp
Re-pop Kashimax Aero seat
Sugino Ct 175 Cranks & BB
Shimano DX pedals
Kenda K55 Tyres
Skyway Alloy Hub Tuff II' s

Awaiting valve caps  ;)  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:31 PM by Funkyworm »

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
looks real nice!  personally i'd go with black tyres but thats just me  :daumenhoch:

oh and you've put the brakes on the wrong side  ;)

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
looks real nice!  personally i'd go with black tyres but thats just me  :daumenhoch:

oh and you've put the brakes on the wrong side  ;)

Normally i'd have a left hand rear brake (as per the UK highway code / cycling proficiency malarky)  but you cant do that with 901's as the cable enters the calliper on the same side as the lever (the left) this forces the rear cable to run down the left hand side of the bike making the cables look awkward as they don't cross over ,  hence the right hand rear brake (American way) Just dont tell me to pull my fooking bars back  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:36 PM by Funkyworm »

chubby

looking tasty is that fella, wheels come up lovely, with it being so hard to find nice tuffs blasting seems the only option for getting a fresh appearance. done a great Job on the pedals too,green brakes Will finish it nicely....

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Liking that, looks great with the blue tyres and white tuffs  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
I'll have to tighten that front brake block up before I can ride it Callum :LolLolLolLol:

Nice looking bike mate. Gotta love a resto from the dead :coolsmiley:
Still limping......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  83 HARO Build Diary & Voyage of Discovery.FINISHED (((FOR NOW AT LEAST)))

gfxgfx
gfx gfx