gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 04:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  New school flatland bikes for old blokes!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New school flatland bikes for old blokes!  (Read 9584 times)

paulb113

New school flatland bikes for old blokes!
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:47 PM »
Hi

Do any of you 40+ guys ride new school flatland bikes? Going to sell my mountain bike and thinking of getting a cheap 2nd hand one to have a play on :)

What makes do I need to look out for? 5ft 8" tall. I just fancy having a go at some new school tricks :LolLolLolLol:

I got a 86 FST for the old school tricks,a Norco Nial to try new school stuff(21" but feels too big) may sell and get one with a smaller top tube?

Thanks
Paul

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: New school flatland bikes for old blokes!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 01:10 PM »
I think GTMUNBER1 (Costa) had a nice GT flatland bike up for sale a while ago..........he's probably still got it  :daumenhoch:

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 02:46 PM »
I think he sold it on but was then up again for sale on here a month or so ago....not too sure if it sold but was a nice bike  :daumenhoch:

deeman

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 02:47 PM »
I think GTMUNBER1 (Costa) had a nice GT flatland bike up for sale a while ago..........he's probably still got it  :daumenhoch:

I have that now Rob,bought it a while ago-in the process of building it at the moment! :daumenhoch:

Paul,there are flatland bargains to be had on ebay-they don't sell too well usually.Look out for KHE,Suello,St Martin,Odyssey Flatware,Quamen,Autum
here is a pic of the GT...

paulb113

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 02:52 PM »
Cheers, A flatland frame went for six quid yesterday on Ebay but missed it :'(

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 03:44 PM »
My most recent flat frame was a Hoffman Strowler, Kevin Jones designed so rode spot on as You'd expect. Other than that I'd recommend an S&M Intrikat frame if You want to spend a lot of money  :daumenhoch:
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

paulb113

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 04:04 PM »
Only just recently got back into bmx, just checked Kevin Jones on YouTube think I will need a lot practice :LolLolLolLol:

I can still do some early 80s tricks on my 86 Haro Fst but want to try new school bikes but looking for something cheap, hopefully pick up a bargain on ebay :)

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 05:05 PM »
I hear You on price, I would say though that You really do need a nice, dialled ride for flat, it's hard enough as it is  :LolLolLolLol:

paulb113

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 05:33 PM »
Khe looks nice, maybe sell kids iPads and say they were stolen :LolLolLolLol:

Will keep a look out ,and for now try to learn some more old school flatland tricks  :D

welsh denny

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 08:41 PM »
i'm 42 this year and still ride flatland (ramps has battered my body too much over the years).

i ride an odyssey waltz- got this via ebay last year- in fact the suelo bars, the colony stem, the khe tanaka forks were all bargains over the last year or 2.

always ridden flat over the last 30 years.

good luck finding some bargains on ebay etc. they do come up quite often and the market of buyers is small.  :daumenhoch:

paulb113

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 08:54 PM »
That's a nice bike Denny :smitten:

I am 43 must be 15 years since I have been on a bike but I managed a decade, frame whip,surfing, cherry pickers etc. your tricks look great that's the kind of stuff I want to try. Really want to learn hang fives can do a similar thing backwards

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=nf0OxilpCqk

punkdSICO

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 09:26 PM »
I like the idea of flat land as being 42, I like the idea of staying nice and close to the floor!!

Saying this, skateparks are too much fun :)

Paul

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 06:07 PM »
i have a quamen delta 2 i bought off ebay, think it was £300 for it complete but i have seen some go cheaper. a lot of new flatland frames come without brake mounts now so you have to watch out if you want a rear brake.

welsh denny

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 10:34 PM »
i have problems with forwards rolling tricks  too Paul  so i never mastered the hang 5 but am giving it a bash lately- the backwards version i can do and backwrds

elbow glides.

need to learn some new stuff this year. want to finally pull the triple decade- got so close just slipping a pedal a few times over the last 6 years or so.

halfpackers i need to get down and more back wheel tricks. i'm tempted to give backward decades a go again but had a nasty slam years ago trying when at half

way point when my skyway spinmaster clamp around the headtube snapped and i went backwards over the top of the bike at half way point.

that was a head banger.

it's good to ride some flat- gives you more bike control and you can do it almost anywhere. have fun with it.

nosepickben

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 11:07 PM »
Love that pic of the gut lever denny. I'm gonna go try one of those now. Don't think it will end well though.

outriding

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 12:51 AM »
Not a valid vimeo URL

paulb113

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 05:26 AM »
Denny I had no idea that a triple decade was even possibe :LolLolLolLol: I can do a single one but no idea how to try and get into a double ;D

After watching the other 43 year on the I don't know whether to be inspired or depressed :LolLolLolLol: how the hell would you do a backward bar ride . I would love to try some of that stuff but need a lot of practice :LolLolLolLol: and a new bike :)

deeman

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 11:17 AM »

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 12:17 PM »
I quite like the idea of learning a bit of flatland...maybe il stick a set of pegs on my dirt bike before looking at an all out flatland bike, plus dont like the idea of riding completely alone!
Neil

m1ke

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 03:15 PM »
Best thing I did was build a hybrid flat bike, short street frame with a 19" top tube some flat forks, pegs and and slimmer high psi tyres job done my old fly tiers was spot on for flat and street/park

paulb113

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 07:12 PM »
I got  100 psi frequency g tyres on my fst and it makes the old school stuff a lot easier apart from cherry pickers :LolLolLolLol: it would be good to get a lighter bike :D

RL Paulie

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 01:45 PM »
Just a couple notes on new school flatland bikes. They are small. Very small. I bought a 2010 DK Opsis and ended up hating it. Be prepared to spend quite a bit of time just getting adjusted to it.
Also don't expect to use it for anything other than flatland tricks. No riding it to your favorite riding spot or taking a cruise to the corner store. They're just not made for multitasking.
Honestly I would test ride a few before dropping your cash.

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 02:31 PM »
Just a couple notes on new school flatland bikes. They are small. Very small. I bought a 2010 DK Opsis and ended up hating it. Be prepared to spend quite a bit of time just getting adjusted to it.
Also don't expect to use it for anything other than flatland tricks. No riding it to your favorite riding spot or taking a cruise to the corner store. They're just not made for multitasking.
Honestly I would test ride a few before dropping your cash.

:daumenhoch: That's why I'm putting together a 20" t/t S&M ATF as a flat/all round hybrid! I think there's also a bit of a movement away from the tiny 'pretzel' type flat frames going on lately, going to a shorter street style frame pretty much.

welsh denny

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 03:41 PM »
agree that some flatland bikes are too small. 19" -20" toptube if you slighter taller so you can still move about the bike. mine is about 19" but could do with 19.3 but no one does that. 

one of my versions with a different slant- backwards frame/grip stand.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  New school flatland bikes for old blokes!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx