gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 12:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Novice & New build...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Novice & New build...  (Read 1382 times)

Countjedi

Novice & New build...
« on: April 05, 2013, 02:48 PM »
Hi,

I'm sure this subject come's up a lot so my apologies, feel free to move to the correct area of the forum if required

I was into BMX racing in the early 80's when I use to spectate BMX racing in Chorley with my mate from school.  The thing is I or should I say my mum could not afford to buy me one at the time  :'(

Anyway year's have gone by I have had a few hobbies and the one I have had for the last 12 years is collecting art (banksy etc), but I have now got to the point where I have got/had or sold all the Banksy's and many other artist that I have ever wanted. (No if your into street art nothing is for sale).

So I thought this would be an opportunity to try... and re build an old school 70's/80's BMX, thus joining the forum to see whats out there and hope to bother you for advice etc.

I'm not concerned about the cost of parts etc but on the other hand I don't wish to wait 2 years before the missing part I need comes up on somewhere like here or fleabay. 

Looking at someone peoples builds I can see that this requires dedication and the ones I have seen are really great looking bits of kit.

My question is...

What would be a good race bike to start with, taking into account rare parts etc and I would like to try and keep to New old stock if possible (I don't want much...).

How do people confirm that the parts they are buying are the ones once used on the original (i.e. is there a spec guide that is used or is it just historical knowledge?).

This will not be for riding but for show in the house (sorry if thats a bad thing)

Thanks CJ

Offline Wez

• Look Back
  • What's Happenin' Derek ???
  • Rated:
Re: Novice & New build...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 03:13 PM »
Hey Chief

I'd go for a Raleigh Aero Pro ;)

WANTED: Orphan Early 80's Front Skyway Graphite 8)

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 03:42 PM »
Welcome aboard fella....... I'd build something that holds good memories or something you wanted or owned back in the day. That way ya heart will be in it more. Look at other builds in the 'Museum' for reference and buy a site supporter tag so you can spend all ya money in the for sale section, you'll soon get an idea of wots wot, prices etc. Buy some old BMX mags to jog your memory, see wot was around if you wanna keep it era correct. Cheapest way is to try find a complete survivor then restore........ beware tho, chroming is far more expensive than having powdercoat.

Dont be afraid to ask on here......... a mental bunch but very helpful!  :daumenhoch:

BTW, ride the fooker when you've built it or build a 2nd with used 'rider' parts, much cheaper and ya won't have to worry about scratching!!  :LolLolLolLol:

Where are you?? Look in Rad & members events and make a visit.  ;)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 03:46 PM by Andy68 »

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 03:49 PM »
Yep, absolutely what I was going to say that Andy :daumenhoch:

If you set out to build something you remember from being a kid, your heart will be in it and you will enjoy it loads more. Where I lived we had a lot of Burners and Mongooses as the local shop was a distributer - I only ever saw a ProClass Mongoose in the window but knew I had to have one but it cost a fortune to build in the end. Now I get a lot more enjoyment out of the older Mongooses with the gussets on them as that's what the kids I rode with had, so have a look in the museum section on here, see if you recognise something and put a wanted add out for one as a complete or frame and forks :coolsmiley:

The rest is just a journey into emptying your bank account if you want all NOS gear....... :shocked:
Still limping......

Countjedi

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 05:10 PM »
Thanks thats very very helpful, I thought it would be a real dumb question to ask, but until you do you never know, so thanks for everyones advice thus far.

Next question can someone point me in the right direction to buy a supporters tag, I have only been on here a few days and its seems a little more friendly than the art world... I have looked for it but can not find it....

Thanks CJ

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 05:30 PM »
Some top advice from Spen the Spen and Andy  :4_17_5:

Here you go fella  :daumenhoch:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,160491.0.html
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 05:43 PM »
......and one other thing CJ, a bike built on a relative budget can look just as cool as a top end build!  ie 1 piece crank rather than fancy 3 piece etc.   :daumenhoch:  Get an idea of what you want then look around/research & get posting any stupid questions. Easy to get drawn in to this when you first start bud & perhaps waste money.  :daumenhoch:

cdt808

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 06:15 PM »
defo agree with all that has been written so far. Choose something that means something to you or you won't do it that well and you won't that into it when its done. For example, I appreciate the efforts of some of the builds on here but most of them do little for me as they mean nothing to me in the context of me when I was younger (I think I am older than most on here?!). So things like S&M, Condor's, Haro's etc don't do much for me although they do look pretty cool! However, my heart lies with early racing BMX's, gooses, Kuwie's, burners etc. and early gooses in general. Best to try something easy and ask lots of questions on here, you'll soon find that you sort out what you 'really' want.....

oh - and welcome in matey  :daumenhoch:

deeman

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 10:06 PM »
For me,I would try and remember what bikes you used to lust over when you used to spectate at the races/look round Halfords/the bike shop window or magazines as a kid.For me it was always Redline RL-20's and I still havn't built one!
Building a fully nos and era correct build can be bloody expensive depending on which frame you choose.Sometimes you have to make compromises!Once you have made your selection,ask loads of questions regarding the spec if you are not sure which parts to buy-alot of members have scans from catalogues etc.A bike doesn't have to be built to a factory/catalogue spec to be as nice as it can possibly be.Sometimes a little deviation from factory spec can make a bike truly individual.
Don't panic buy as I did when I built my first bike,take your time and buy right the first time.I am not a patient man at all but this hobby has taught me that EVERYTHING turns up eventually!
Definitely get hooked up with a Site Supporters Tag,it will help you no end in accumalating the parts you need.Keep an eye on bmxmuseum.com too and of course as a last resort ebay.
Good luck and be sure to post up when you have found a frame!
Damo :daumenhoch:

Offline Wez

• Look Back
  • What's Happenin' Derek ???
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 10:48 PM »
Love a good essay  ::)
WANTED: Orphan Early 80's Front Skyway Graphite 8)

Countjedi

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 11:46 PM »
Thanks again to you all, Im genuinely taking a back by the time your taking to help and advise.

I have paid the £10 so hope to be able to buy a few bits soon and start on the road of my first build, once I have given it some hard thought following your comments

Cheers CJ

leehunt1

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 06:44 AM »

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 09:18 AM »
Thanks again to you all, Im genuinely taking a back by the time your taking to help and advise.

I have paid the £10 so hope to be able to buy a few bits soon and start on the road of my first build, once I have given it some hard thought following your comments

Cheers CJ

CJ

If you have indeed paid the £10 site supporters subscription, then please post your details in the thread as per the instructions.  Otherwise none of us will know that you have paid and you will not get your tag.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 01:25 PM »

Can't add anything thats already been said "get something that holds memories for you", wether thats a Burner, Mongoose, etc it does not matter.  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Novice & New build...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx