gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 11:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Top load stems
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Top load stems  (Read 4515 times)

paulb113

Top load stems
« on: March 17, 2013, 05:14 PM »
If I change to a top load stem would it make easier to ride for an older rider :) I am in my 40s and only just got back into bikes. The stem has bolts at the front and think bars are 8inch high and are 28ish inch wide, not sure I would need higher bars? I am 5ft 8in and the top tube is 21inch.

Thanks

paul

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Top load stems
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 06:11 PM »
Much the same effect as fitting taller bars, it'll make riding easier if you're more comfortable with the riding position

You could try fitting your stem upside down to see if you prefer the extra rise  :daumenhoch:

I've just fitted a top loader but haven't rode yet, hoping it'll ease my backache, we're not getting any younger  ;D

Put one spacer on top it looked too tall with them all below the stem  :-\

Hoping to get to the local park tonight for the last hour, should be quiet by then

2 minutes turkish...

paulb113

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 07:07 PM »
What make is your stem? Always rode old school bikes in the past with bars like Haro newsavers and VDC monkey bars. What age are you? By back is pretty strong its my dodgy knee with torn pcl ligament I need to be carefully with.

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:02 PM »
Paul, the stems an S&M challenger

http://store.sandmbikes.com/CHALLENGER-STEM_p_758.html#.UUY7LhfcBI4

Bars are S&M slam (28"x 8")

I'm a bit of a brand whore  ;D

My lower back gives me jip after riding, i'm 44 btw, the bike feels better with the stem swap, front pulls up real easy  :daumenhoch:

Park was packed though so didn't get a lot of riding done  :2gunsfiring_v1:

It's just re opened after a re fit, gonna get a lock in sorted soon  :daumenhoch:

http://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/The-Arc-Skatepark/168835869830380'ref=stream&group_id=0

2 minutes turkish...

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 10:08 PM »
ED209 was selling a top load stem. I have the same one, But with a longer reach. I have only recently converted to a top load. I'm about 5foot 10. I run a 20.75TT and 8.25 rise bars. Took abit of getting used to, But feels good.

paulb113

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 10:18 PM »
The bars and stem look great :daumenhoch: bit above my budget as spent loads getting the Haro FST sorted. That skate park looks great not too far from Wigan I know they do lock ins at Blackpool. Would be better doing that as never really been on a skatepark :D

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 10:39 PM »
Paul you'd enjoy either park, Blackpool is more novice friendly but you wouldn't be out of your depth in either of em  :daumenhoch:

If i can ride em anyone can  ;D
2 minutes turkish...

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 10:09 AM »
Paul, you really need to get yourself to a lock-in if you've not ridden a park for a while. Open sessions are ok but if people our age colide with a scooter brat you're gonna hurt them big time, so get used to riding again first.

As for the stem, I have exactly the opposite opinion to Betty the old bugger and ride expert sized bars with the stem low, although I do have a top-loader stem as they suit my retro look bike better. I find I can pull up better when the bars are a little lower.

Best thing to do is ride the bike properly before messing about with it. To be honest a 21" TT sounds a bit big for 5'8" tall, so you may be better off looking for a shorter reach stem? DK did one that was only a 32 or 35mm reach and it was a top-loader, but I only ever found one in the States and he wanted mental money for postage so i left it.

Once you've ridden the bike properly, if you decide you definitely want a higher stem with less reach, I have an ajustable reach, top-loading stem that will lift your bars up if that's what you want, but you will need to use the shims I made as it is for 1" diameter bars not the standard 7/8" as i found out when it arrived..... :'(

It's in here on the earlier shots of the white RetroGoose if you want to have a look - http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=138464.0

Still limping......

funker

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 10:30 AM »
Just a thought, as I am reading on here more and more about riders suffering from back ache.
I'm 42, back riding for about 13 years, about 10 years ago, I started getting back problems, I bought a back support from Argos and it worked a treat!
Its rare that I ride my bike without it and to be honest if I didn't use one, I doubt I would still be riding!
Here's a link to the exact same one I use at the moment.....

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9268104.htm

It's also worth doing some warm up exercises before riding too!

mattuknc

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 11:18 AM »
I find it also helps to put down the pipe and change out of my slippers.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 08:20 PM »
Sorry Spen but that stem looks like some sort of scaffolding bracket..... it's quite large!

Using shims to hold the bars sounds like a recipe for disaster  :-\
2 minutes turkish...

paulb113

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 05:37 PM »
Thanks for all the info :) after not riding for so many years and getting two bikes I haven't rode either much with all the bad weather :'( I have a pretty strong back its my torn pcl knee ligament that will need strapping up :LolLolLolLol:

I need to try a shorter new school bike some time. I may buy decent bars and stem as I can always upgrade the bike if I get back into it.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Top load stems

gfxgfx
gfx gfx