gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 10:14 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  BB QUESTION
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: BB QUESTION  (Read 780 times)

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
BB QUESTION
« on: March 29, 2013, 07:33 AM »
Hi,

For my new build i'm looking to fit a 3 pc Sugino GT crank set & I purchased this from the bay from oldschool bmx accessories to do the job. I'm used to fitting the new sealed US type BB for flight cranks etc & these kits always include a spacer , my question is should this type of BB also have a spacer or are they not necessary?
Cheers !

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: BB QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 07:56 AM »
No, all you need is right there.

it all goes together the same as a one piece crank BB.

You will see the bearing seats on the spindle, that kind of replaces the need for a tube spacer.

MM
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

nosepickben

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 08:03 AM »
Yep, the shoulders on the spindle do the job of a spacer tube.

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 08:12 AM »
No, all you need is right there.

it all goes together the same as a one piece crank BB.

You will see the bearing seats on the spindle, that kind of replaces the need for a tube spacer.

MM

Awesome, thanks,

I'm guessing looking at the picture that my crank arm with the (spider & chainring) will butt up (what in this picture is the ridge on the left hand side of the spindle)  ? I just need to have this aligned on the right hand (drive side)?

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 08:23 AM »
You won't have any `adjustability' with your set up, it'll either work or it won't. there are different spindle lengths available for different chain alignment.

You'll see what I mean once you chuck it on the bike.

Should be fine though.

MM
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 08:28 AM »
You won't have any `adjustability' with your set up, it'll either work or it won't. there are different spindle lengths available for different chain alignment.

You'll see what I mean once you chuck it on the bike.

Should be fine though.

MM

Ah oh cool, well ill be polishing up the crank arms & hopefully fitting sometime in the next few days so I'll let ya know. Cheers for the advice guys !  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 01:48 PM »
 :) The new sealed Redline Flight BBs are 19mm and your spindle is prob 23.8 mm (Same as a 1pc crank) so prob not compatible.

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 02:24 PM »
:) The new sealed Redline Flight BBs are 19mm and your spindle is prob 23.8 mm (Same as a 1pc crank) so prob not compatible.

Hi,  Im not fitting a redline BB,  i said thats what i'm (used) to fitting as thats the only 3pc style crankset i've ever fitted before.

The BB set i'm fitting this time is the one in the previous picture it was advertised as compatible with a Sugino CT & GT crank & as i'm fitting at Sugino GT i assumed this would be the right one (picture above).

I now have the BB on & have fitted the crank arms to the spindle but surely the spindle is too long as surely there should not be this much of a gap between the crank arms & the frame ??

Any suggestions welcome ????????

KANG

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 02:42 PM »
That does look a tad long..

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 02:44 PM »
 :) My error.I`ve had the same problem when fitting Sugino square taper spindles.Can`t find mine to measure it :(

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 03:04 PM »
:) My error.I`ve had the same problem when fitting Sugino square taper spindles.Can`t find mine to measure it :(

No worries mate i don't think i explained it very well looking back.  

Heres the advert for the spindle which is 155mm,   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111027918055'ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Theres only about a 1cm clearance between the crank arms & the rear stays so maybe this is correct, if the spindle was any shorter the ends of the crank arms might hit the frame ??

I guess i'll know when i fit the chain ring & rear wheel & see how the chain lines up with the freewheel. looks really un tidy though. :-[

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  BB QUESTION

gfxgfx
gfx gfx