gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:34 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Got a polished hub I want 2 dull back 2 ally finish ! any tips 4 this ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Got a polished hub I want 2 dull back 2 ally finish ! any tips 4 this ?  (Read 868 times)

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
Looking 4 ur ideas before I dive in . Bet somebody has a good few tips  ::)

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
I've thought about using Caustic soda, The stuff to de-anno. Leaves the ally dull after stripping. Not sure what would happen to polished ally though.

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
Scotch Brite pad tighten up the axle so it doesn't spin stick the axle in a drill on a low speed and polish  :daumenhoch:

Three options:

3M Scotch-Brite 7447 - Maroon (very fine)
3M Scotch-Brite 7447 has long been established as the standard for surface conditioning by hand. Clean, blend, finish, and de-burr faster and with better results than conventional abrasives. It is mid-range for aggressiveness and finish in the Scotch-Brite™ hand pads line.

3M Scotch-Brite 7448 - Grey (ultra fine)
Use this pad when high conformability and an ultra-fine finish on metals, woods, plastics, composites and solid surface counter tops is required. It's just right for cosmetic cleaning or for creating consistent finishes on flat or contoured work pieces.

3M Scotch-Brite 7496 - Green (fine)
3M 7496 is a fine abrasive and a general purpose comfortable hand pad which gives a slightly coarser finish than the Maroon 7447 hand pad.

I've used the Grey to give a brushed finish  :daumenhoch:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Rabdul06

I used some 0000 wire wool to de-bling some pedal cages..works a treat. Also used it on some Renthals to de-bling those aswell..

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
I've thought about using Caustic soda, The stuff to de-anno. Leaves the ally dull after stripping. Not sure what would happen to polished ally though.

oven pride does too, takes the top surface off, so would do the same job i imagine  :daumenhoch:

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
I've in the past used 1200 wet & dry with oil on a stupidly polished Tuf Neck stem, worked a treat.  :daumenhoch:

jamyc

Chemical answer is brasso matey leave on 10 mins wipe residue off n repeat until it dulls your polished ally to the desired affect ;)

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
you have a couple of troubles you will have to over come when trying to get a duller finish on a polished item

it will depend on the item you are trying to work on - curved items may look different to a flat surface when polished due to the light being reflected, and so if you are sanding down you need to s=work out which way to sand and what little lines it will leave - on a hub it might be better to follow the curve instead of going across it !

As for chemicals - there are different methods and stuff to use !
most will dull the polish down but will also darken down the colour from what it used to be like as a factory finish

i have found that cillit bang can work well but can be a bit harsh compared to CIF (stainless steal cleaner) which if only used in a short time can give a better finish and doesn't darken down the item straight away - but if left in a long time it can eat into the alloy and leave pitting (good for making it look pre 80's )
Oven pride will darken down items but can be patchy in place's as it is not fully submerged in the stuff (stronger in a bag instead of brushing )
Silver dip can work but it is strong and is only needed to be dipped in quick and never left !

you can also use the kitchen sponge with the green scrubbing pad - a fresh sponge will be more harsh and leave bigger lines - one that has been used and soften down will work best - a well used one can start to polish more than dull down

it will be a case of finding some thing that is similar to the item that you need doing, and give it a test out - take photo's so you know for next time (or you can forget and use the wrong stuff next time and get a wrong finish)

so test out first is my experience  ;)

cheers B  :D
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

KANG

I've used a non-stick pan scourer with your average cif type cleaner in the past, just knocks the surface back a little. Works well  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Got a polished hub I want 2 dull back 2 ally finish ! any tips 4 this ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx