gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 01:54 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1" fork thread die - NOW WITH PICS - ALL SORTED!!!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1" fork thread die - NOW WITH PICS - ALL SORTED!!!!!  (Read 3931 times)

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: 1" fork thread die - NOW WITH PICS - HELP!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 07:38 AM »
I would imagine this is a case of the thread on the forks isn't cut deep enough. I have had this before.

This means the thread is correct IE the pitch and diameter but the v isn't deep enough for some nuts. Hence why some fit and some don't.
Take them to an engineering shop and they will tap the thread so it is deeper.  :daumenhoch:

It has to be the case Stu....it just has to be!  Im gonna take them back to the shop today for a once over with the die.....then fingers crossed i can get this sucka built!! lol.

Ive got parts scattered everywhere at the mo....pretty much taking up a whole room and if i dont get it built soon, the mrs is gonna get stressed  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 07:46 AM »
Phil's offer of just sending them to him , seemed straight forward  ???

Two way postage has got to be cheaper then messing up a £20 plus Tioga headset or considering buying your own dye

Sounds like your  local bike shop are a bit clueless ,if they can't sort a threading issue

Good luck , don't chuck in the towel yet   :-\ :daumenhoch:

I know what youre saying ....it would have been easier to do the two way postage thing.

The bike shop are pretty clued up but yesterday he was reluctant to do it incase he damaged the thread, however....he did say to me that if i find out for sure that these were originally made with a 24tpi die then he would run his down it.

So he basically sent me away to do more homework.....Im pretty sure by now that 2Hip wouldnt have used anything other than a 24tpi die and that it stands a chance that the original thread wasnt cut deep enough.  These forks were some of the very first made so it really wouldnt suprise me going by other issues that people have faced when building them lol.

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 12:55 PM »
Count the threads first before you take it to the bike shop.
Tpi stands for "threads per inch"

So count if you have 24 threads in 1" of the steerer tube.  :daumenhoch:

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 01:15 PM »
Count the threads first before you take it to the bike shop.
Tpi stands for "threads per inch"

So count if you have 24 threads in 1" of the steerer tube.  :daumenhoch:

Stu.....Im not that bloomin thick .. :LolLolLolLol: 

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 07:23 PM »
From what u have shown its all standard . The problem in my opinion is that the threads have been cut or rolled on but not formed correctly . They need re- dieing  ;) U can clearly c this from the pictures. the die was never tightened 2 cut the threads 2 the correct depth, Hence anything not worn with chrome in the threads will not tighten down easily  ::) If the nut runs all the way down its clearly 24 T.P.I. .

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 07:29 PM »
Yep it has to be  :daumenhoch:

I dropped them off today so the guy can run the correct die up and down the thread.

Picking them up tomorrow so fingers crossed they will be all good  :)

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: 1" fork thread die - NOW WITH PICS - ALL SORTED!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 02:13 PM »
Thanks for all of your help and advice guys.....picked the forks up today and the thread is now mint!

The guy ran the die down it so it must have a crappy thread from new  :daumenhoch:

Im happy and still love 2-Hip so thats all good.....now to build the little monkey  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline garran

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 02:48 PM »
nice result, i was going to suggest putting some stilsons on there and wearing it in, but i prefer your method mate!!!  (the things i used to do with a hammer and screwdriver bitd)

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 06:28 PM »
Cheers Garran  :daumenhoch:

Im pretty chuffed now  :) ....gonna start building it when our little boy goes to bed  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1" fork thread die - NOW WITH PICS - ALL SORTED!!!!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx