gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 04:36 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Are these holes for a Gyro?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Are these holes for a Gyro?  (Read 2458 times)

paulb113

Are these holes for a Gyro?
« on: March 14, 2013, 04:05 PM »

Hi

I just got a new school bmx and have no idea if these holes are for a Gyro, if they are what model would I need? also if I put a front brake on it do they do a potts mod, or what way would you run the cable so you could spin the bars?

Sorry for the daft question :D but as I am 43 never seen a new bmx before and I am pretty clueless at the moment!!

One more question, it has a small plastic pivotal seat and short seatpost, if I would like to change it for a longer post and padded seat would I still get same type of seat post but longer? My daughter will be riding it most of the time and I will just use it for thing like the Blackpool lock ins and going on local ramps when kids at school etc :)

m1ke

Re: Are these holes for a Gyro?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 04:09 PM »
they are indeed well the tabs screw into them for a gyro  :daumenhoch:

mattuknc

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 04:12 PM »
Hi,
The holes are for gyro 'tabs', so yes you're right.  :daumenhoch: The tabs hold the lower cables in place (screw in), you'll then need a plate that sits under the stem to screw the upper cables into.
Depending on the forks, you should be able to do something about the front cable, although if you only have the star washer setup, I'm not sure how?!?!  :-\
Hope that helps a little.  :daumenhoch:

paulb113

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 04:22 PM »
Thanks for the info  :daumenhoch:

Do you need special forks,or stem etc?

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

paulb113

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 05:16 PM »
Ed. I don't want to trash the Haro :D if I go playing on ramps I think I would end up scraping off all the nice fresh powdercoating and bashing chainwheel :LolLolLolLol: The new bike feels weird its a 21inch top tube could hardly bunny hop on it, will have to try some 80s tricks on it :D maybe a cherry picker or somethig :LolLolLolLol:

love the Haro :smitten: and can't wait to get on it once the weather improves. Taking it to Chester

paulb113

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 05:37 PM »

Cheers for the Ebay link it came with a box of bits and has gyro tabs in there.

Can you just change the stem for something like this to run the front brake cable through?

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 05:48 PM »
 :) You don`t need to change the stem just get a hollow stembolt/starnut setup.
http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/m13b111s225p4356/DIA_COMPE_Hollow_Ahead_Cap_and_Star_Nut_Set

paulb113

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 06:06 PM »
Cheers Voivod :daumenhoch: will get one ordered.

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 08:06 PM »
I hope You've checked the steerer tube is long enough to space the stem up a bit to actually get enough 'pull' with the gyro setup, most steerer's are really short these days!
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

christhejob

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Just drill a hole to the side of your Allen bolt and widen out a gap in the star washer inside the forks with the drill. Simple crude and effective!

paulb113

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 09:02 PM »
How much space would I need? I would assumed with the frame being predrilled for the Gyro tabs it would be designed to work? Which Gyro would you recommend? If it doesn't work the cable spins round fully now and with the front brake cable through the stem that would be fine.

Thanks for all the info, a lot has changed since the 80s :LolLolLolLol:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 07:23 PM »
not a lot has changed the only real difference is the lower tab for the cables  that you fitted under the headset cups , this is now replaced by the two tabs that bolt on the frame , the giro itself  still works the same as the 80's versions , looks like you have a spacer under the stem , remove this and fit the top plate in its place ,   you should end up with the top of the forks sat roughly 1 or 2mm down in the stem to allow for compression , adjust with thin spacers to get it right,   as to the space  for the giro to move,  you only kneed a few mm travel upwards on the giro itself probs 5mm at the most, if you think about it your brake blocks only sit a few mm off the rim so the cables only have to travel the same amount ,

you can get a top plate that lifts the top cable above the bottom of the stem "vocal rise plate"  i think?    usefull on forks with a shorter steerer tube , maybee worth measuring things up before ordering one ?  :daumenhoch:

as with most things the the more expensive giro's are better but the mid price ones are good value, used a snafu mobeus in the past without any problems  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:35 PM by oldtired »

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 08:21 PM »
The Vocal rise plate will only help a little if You have excessive slack in the upper cable You can't get out with the adjusters, it will not allow any more movement of the gyro (unless they've redesigned it) A stem with built in tabs on will though  :daumenhoch:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 10:17 PM »
sorry didn't explain properly,  was what i meant by lifting the top cable above the bottom stem, missed out " to remove the slack out of the cable "   :-[   :daumenhoch:

paulb113

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 10:37 PM »
cheers for all the info, ordered the new star bolt for the front cable.

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 10:44 PM »
sorry didn't explain properly,  was what i meant by lifting the top cable above the bottom stem, missed out " to remove the slack out of the cable "   :-[   :daumenhoch:

Hey that's no problem is it, it's good to throw idea's & opinions about  :daumenhoch: I only found out about the vocal rise plate thing when I got One thinking it would give Me more room with a gyro setup & a short steerer, it didn't  :LolLolLolLol:     

paulb113

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 10:16 AM »
I only got my Haro FST a sorted a few a few weeks back that's all sorted now with a gyro on and set up so I can play about  trying to learn some old school tricks :) I don't think I will use the new bike much. I am going to stick a longer seatpost and comfy seat so my daughter can use it. I may just take the bike to winstanleys some time and get them to see that I need.

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 10:25 AM »
I may just take the bike to winstanleys some time and get them to see that I need.

The staff at w@nkstanleys won't have a clue  ;D
2 minutes turkish...

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 10:25 AM »
And get it used, you won't be going back to the old bike  :daumenhoch:
2 minutes turkish...

paulb113

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 05:01 PM »
Betty, just had a go on it managed higher bunny hops, a 360 tried a tailwhip bunny hop(if that's what its called :LolLolLolLol:) for a laugh :D bike loads lighter than the FST so I think I will get front brake and at least two pegs on it.

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 06:00 PM »
Betty, just had a go on it managed higher bunny hops, a 360 tried a tailwhip bunny hop(if that's what its called :LolLolLolLol:) for a laugh :D bike loads lighter than the FST so I think I will get front brake and at least two pegs on it.

Stick with it  :daumenhoch:
2 minutes turkish...

paulb113

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 06:08 PM »
will do :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Are these holes for a Gyro?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx