gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 06:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  new wheels on an OS bike????
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: new wheels on an OS bike????  (Read 757 times)

cdt808

new wheels on an OS bike????
« on: March 05, 2013, 11:54 PM »
Guys - new wheels all seem to have 9T cogs on. Can these be removed and 16T ones (OS style/dicta type) be added? I liked the look of the sun envys on the anni aero pro copy that I bought, and wondered if I could get some new rims on it.

possible problems though that you might be able to help with....

1) can I swap the rear cog (as I still want a 40T at the front and I am not sure a 40T-9T set up would be good for my 8 year old!)
2) will a 14mm rear axle fit in the dropout of a burner frame ok?

this is the kind of thing I was thinking of....

or maybe ....

thanks for any help....  :daumenhoch:

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: new wheels on an OS bike????
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 12:06 AM »
9 t is for chainrings in the 20s. no cassettes wont take screw on freewheels but new skool race wheels do but only the 30mm type to 14t..

burners ride horrid unless its an aero pro and no 14mm will not fit unless you chop it or grind 2 mm off either side of a 14 mm solid axle in the right places(easier said than done) :daumenhoch:

you can get this rim built onto a hub of your choice as long as you get the correct or spoke hole numbers that work together
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:09 AM by bobbbbsy »

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 06:17 AM »
No you can't remove a 9T for a 16T as they are totally different hubs. You might be able to get a 11 or 12T drive if you are lucky but he will be struggling with the gearing.

I did this on my MRD Badlander to get a 25/9 gearing and the chain ran so close to the rear stay I had to put a shark fin on to protect it. Had to grind the axles etc and it was a real pain to do.

I would just lace a flip-flop set of low flange Suzue hubs available everywhere for £25 a set into your rims or buy an old school set of wheels with a flip-flop in. That way when your son gets used to the bike with a 40T on you can swap the 16T freewheel to a 14T on the other side of the hub and have a sensible gearing.
Still limping......

Offline Mark1

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 07:34 AM »
I bought a set of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300612696948 10mm axles and not a bad looking wheel imo. :daumenhoch:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
Still limping......

cdt808

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 08:17 AM »
ah I see - many thanks for all the info chaps its alot clearer now. Don't want to be grinding drop outs etc so will look for some 10mm old/mid school wheels instead.

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=159336.0
Yep buy the gold and black set :daumenhoch:

I would have defo bought those if the hubs were red ... but I am not sure how the gold would match in with the red/white/black theme of it  :(

ok - so need to put up a wanted advert for something like those above (in style but not 9T new ones) or like this  ....
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:09 AM by cdt808 »

Offline not johndub71

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 09:07 AM »
I run 33 and 16 and thats a u brake scraper unless chain tension is spot on.
Facebook/Fr35Hair

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 10:27 AM »
 With new school race hubs you can get down to a 12T rear sprocket if the hubs take Shimano pattern cogs.40/16 is bit of a mad gearing and very spinny.

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 07:04 PM »
....40/16 is bit of a mad gearing and very spinny.

OK for an eight year old though.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  new wheels on an OS bike????

gfxgfx
gfx gfx