gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975610 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 19, 2024, 08:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  skyway cassette repair
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: skyway cassette repair  (Read 14131 times)

Offline not johndub71

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: skyway cassette repair
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2013, 10:26 AM »
The teeth inside the cassette look worn. I'd check them out before assemble, because it could be a case that the pawls dont catch on em how they should. Clean off any burrs on the inside with a file and restructure.
Facebook/Fr35Hair

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2013, 03:59 PM »
The teeth inside the cassette look worn. I'd check them out before assemble, because it could be a case that the pawls dont catch on em how they should. Clean off any burrs on the inside with a file and restructure.

that might make sense, cos it grips then slips, over and over again

Offline garran

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2013, 04:11 PM »
before i knew of this site i sold a complete suntour coaster inners on ebay.......for 99p!!!  gutted now mate as you could have had it, would have fitted right in :'(

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2013, 04:58 PM »
before i knew of this site i sold a complete suntour coaster inners on ebay.......for 99p!!!  gutted now mate as you could have had it, would have fitted right in :'(

its like that sometimes, when I used to mess around with old suzukis, someone figured out the clutch baskets off one engine fitted another to make the clutch better, I told a bike breaker and he had thrown a pile of them in the bin

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2013, 06:25 PM »

Just got the cassette and had a proper look at the bit you mentioned. They are very worn indeed, the teeth look like they have big marks and chips in them. Still unsure what to do, I would imagine that if I strip and rebuild it, it might work, but for how long? This bike was built purely to ride at the meets up and down the country, and it would be a bad situation if I took it far to a meet and it failed on me again. I know someone who has a alloy hub skyway wheel with the screw on freewheel set up, so getting that and putting it into my wheel might be the best option.

Offline garran

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2013, 06:37 PM »
if its just the sprocket thats slipping, have it welded on?

bof

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2013, 07:20 PM »
im still looking for mine. I had it on my desk at work for years. But lost my job last year and packed everything up sharpish. If i find it you can have it. The pawls are brand new. I will keep in touch. Got a few boxes to go through. I will let you know if i find it.

Offline not johndub71

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2013, 07:43 PM »
Long shot here. Know anyone with a welder? Weld spots onto the worn parts and have some fun filing it back to shape. Have a go with a file first to re structure them.
Facebook/Fr35Hair

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2013, 08:00 PM »
if its just the sprocket thats slipping, have it welded on?

its not the sprocket thats slipping, the pawls are not engaging into the cassette properly, I think now due to it being full of crud, and both the pawls and mainly the cassette being worn out

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2013, 08:13 PM »
Just out curiosity, is the hub a Suntour made hub??

Could you not find an old used spoked Suntour cassette hub and strip it down for the cassette and pawls??

Worth a suggestion  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2013, 08:16 PM »
im still looking for mine. I had it on my desk at work for years. But lost my job last year and packed everything up sharpish. If i find it you can have it. The pawls are brand new. I will keep in touch. Got a few boxes to go through. I will let you know if i find it.

cheers mate that would be ace if you could find that

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2013, 08:17 PM »
Just out curiosity, is the hub a Suntour made hub??

Could you not find an old used spoked Suntour cassette hub and strip it down for the cassette and pawls??

Worth a suggestion  :daumenhoch:

That would work I think, it looks identical to the spoked one bof put up, not 100% sure if its suntour on mine, I shall take another look and see if it is

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2013, 06:13 PM »
I have got a temporary solution, I have bought a spare wheel from a lad on ebay, messaged him back and forth and asked for pics, and ended up having some good chats about bmxs and he even dropped the price for me so I can fix my bike, this is what I bought. I am going to rebuild this hub into my wheel, and just run a freewheel for now. It might even end up a permanent solution, don't see why not

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2013, 06:40 PM »
seems a shame to have to drill your rivets out.

if you do, maker sure you drill the right end, or you'll risk cracking the wheels.

Drill the heads of the rivet, not the bit that is pressed (riveted) over, reason being, when they stamp the rivets over, not only does the metal form the new `head' the shaft in the wheel thickens a bit, so needs to take the shortest route.

you should be able to see which head to drill, they look a bit neater.

MM
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2013, 06:49 PM »
seems a shame to have to drill your rivets out.

if you do, maker sure you drill the right end, or you'll risk cracking the wheels.

Drill the heads of the rivet, not the bit that is pressed (riveted) over, reason being, when they stamp the rivets over, not only does the metal form the new `head' the shaft in the wheel thickens a bit, so needs to take the shortest route.

you should be able to see which head to drill, they look a bit neater.

MM

cheers for that, I will find the right side and be very carefull

skyway67

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2013, 06:22 PM »
theres a sticky in tech and resto stickies on how to rebuild these i stripped one a while back, best to buy a cassette hub and rob the bits you need off it  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  skyway cassette repair

gfxgfx
gfx gfx