gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 11:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  ET movie replica KZ info from Howie Cohen
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ET movie replica KZ info from Howie Cohen  (Read 1414 times)

Offline KeithyT

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
ET movie replica KZ info from Howie Cohen
« on: February 19, 2013, 04:45 PM »
Hi all,
I recently sent an email to Howie Cohen asking about E.T. movie replicas (especially the non-Elliott ones like Sam (Meticulous) did that Chris (Jaan) now owns). I was also intrigued by kenloen's white KZ and red sticker mock-up set for the Michael character's bike, I think stu1980 got that one. I'm sure someone will do some of the other models at some point. I had visions of attempting one myself but probably going a different route now.
Anyhoo, here are the emails which might be interesting info to some, nothing earth shattering that Howie hasn't alluded to in the past but might be some more Bike specific behind the scenes photos on the way at some point. Apologies if the first one comes across a bit gushing/sycophantic but I'm a soppy nostalgic old git and was being ultra polite  :LolLolLolLol::

Hi Howie
Sorry to trouble you with yet another E.T. movie related question, I bet you have had your fair share of emails over the past few years.
I'm in the UK and very much like the idea of restoring a Kuwahara KZ frame as a replica of Michael's bike from the movie (Robert MacNaughton's character). The Elliott replica is recreated a lot and now one or two people have completed the Bob Haro replica but Mikes bike with the white frame/forks red headstock and stripes, has not yet been done to my knowledge.
I've read a lot of your online comments/replies to others regarding the original production bikes, but is there anything specific about "Mike's Bike" you would please be able to share? Parts used or how you got the stripes? I'm guessing it was decals from one of the photos/items on your great website.
Any other anecdotal memories about Robert or that particular bike?
I look forward to hearing from you and many thanks in advance.
I hope you are well and just wanted to let you know that the bikes you helped create are still so loved and remembered in the UK old school BMX scene.

Hi Keith,
Thanks for your message & kind words.
If you copy & paste the below link onto your browser it will take you to a photo of "Michael" sitting on a white bike with brown head with chocolate brown stickers. Is this the bike you are wanting to reproduce?
When we made the bikes for the studio to use in the filming, we produced the bikes in several different color schemes in accordance with instructions from the Studio. Michael's was a "creamy white", another color was "sky blue with chocolate trim".
This photo, which was taken on the day we delivered the bikes to the Studio, is of two of the actual bikes that was used in the movie (creamy-white & sky-blue).
http://www.proteanpaper.com//scart_picture.cgi?comp=howiebik&pic=000000000000000246&part=000000000000001384
I hope this helps.
BTW, I can supply you with actual photos at a nominal cost.
Cheers, Howie Cohen

Hi Howie,
Thanks so much for the superfast reply! I have seen that photo you have sent the link too before and must admit to always having been a little confused by the white bike with brown head and chocolate brown striped stickers. I assumed that it was an early pre-shoot version of what I consider "Mike's Bike" from the movie as per the image below. I thought the film makers must have then asked you to change the chocolate brown on white to red on white.

As you can see the centre bike (Michael's) is white with red head and red stripes, the classic Elliott is to its left, the Bob Haro "sky blue with chocolate trim" is far left. Is the "creamy white" you mention one fo the two bikes on the right hand side (one is that creamy yellow colour).
Kindest Regards
Keith

Hi Keith,
I did not recall the white bike with red head & trim but it is most likely that I had it produced. I do recall the creamy white (could also be described as a light shade of moca) & sky blue. I would need to dig back into my old records to verify, but based on the photos in the photobucket you sent, we must have had the four (4) color schemes produced. I recall going to an auto paint shop in Torrance and having them shut down for 2-days while the painted our frames & forks. We had the stickers made at a local silkscreen shop in Gardena and applied the stickers to the frames & forks during the assembly process which took place in our Torrance, CA facility.
Cheers, Howie Cohen

he then sent me an umprompted one

I just now remembered, I have a bunch of 35mm color slides which were taken during the filming. I should get them out and have them scanned so I can list them on my web site.
Cheers, Howie Cohen

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
Re: ET movie replica KZ info from Howie Cohen
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 04:57 PM »
Nice one Keith, Howie is a top fella to talk to.  He's been helping me with my project but i did buy a bunch of photos to keep him sweet  ;)

Offline KeithyT

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 05:01 PM »
Yeah Chris I'd heard he was a top guy, friendly and forthcoming but I didn't expect such a fast helpful reply I'll admit.  8)

I heard he's not able to travel now (not attending that Kuwie event in California that has been postponed) but what a great chap.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 05:30 PM »
Indeed - Anaheim event was in my diary  ;)

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 08:00 PM »
Hmmmm....   might be tempted to another one of those one day....    :coolsmiley:
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 04:10 PM »
Hmmmm....   might be tempted to another one of those one day....    :coolsmiley:

Build one for me Sam  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  ET movie replica KZ info from Howie Cohen

gfxgfx
gfx gfx