gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975641 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 01, 2024, 11:37 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  odyssey gtxs gyro
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: odyssey gtxs gyro  (Read 1186 times)

Murph

odyssey gtxs gyro
« on: February 19, 2013, 10:18 PM »
Hey lads, has anyone on here ever taken apart a gtxs gyro, and if so was it a simple thing to do or did it fall to pieces,the reason i would like to know is i want to get my one powder coated and thought the bearings retainers would melt,i know i could mask and spray it,but i would prefer to have it powder coated, let us know what you think,cheers.

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
Re: odyssey gtxs gyro
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 11:38 PM »
Yes I have taken one apart.

You need to fish one of the seals out without damaging it. Then stick a cocktail stick through from side you have removed the seal between the bearings against the other seal to push it out. Once it is partially out you can slide a butter knife around the seal so it is out.

You will then see the top and bottom parts of the gyro have a little half circle notch cut out in them. You need to hold the gyro over a pot upside down and line these cut outs up. Then poke the bearings out through the cut outs one by one with the cocktail stick.
Once you have gone just over half way round you should have enough play to split the gyro in 2 and release the remaining bearings. 
When come to rebuild it, it's the reverse operation but put some grease in place to hold the bearings.

I hope this helps. Stu.  :daumenhoch:

christhejob

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 01:39 PM »
I'd love to see your toolkit!  Butter knife and a cocktail stick. Awesome..

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 03:46 PM »
I'd love to see your toolkit!  Butter knife and a cocktail stick. Awesome..

The best things to use to poke a seal out. Sit back watch and learn mate! ;)

Murph

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:11 PM »
sounds good stu,so basically you take the top seal out with a cocktail /butter knife carefully, remove the ball bearings and bottom seal,to see you have to line up the two pieces to be able to seperate them over a jar,then the same in reverse to assemable,I am only checking as i dont want to mess it up as they are not cheap and thanks for the advice mate,cheers mick.

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:44 PM »
I normally remove the bottom seal first. Then poke out the top one from underneath with the cocktail stick. where the bottom seal was positioned. Just enough so a section of the seal has popped up. Then slide the knife around the rest of the top of the seal. Once they are both out. Line up the two notches and start to poke out the bearings one by one.  :daumenhoch:

Murph

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 10:21 PM »
hey stu tanks for the advise top man,but i was wondering is they away you could put it in vise or i have a mate with a bearing press in his shop with a tube spacer just wider the the bearings and press them out,only a thought or maybe it might damage it as its only ally what do you recon?cheers mick.

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 11:41 PM »
hey stu tanks for the advise top man,but i was wondering is they away you could put it in vise or i have a mate with a bearing press in his shop with a tube spacer just wider the the bearings and press them out,only a thought or maybe it might damage it as its only ally what do you recon?cheers mick.

No. You will fook it. Just follow my instructions. ;)

Murph

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 12:17 AM »
no worries Ill go your route,cheers.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  odyssey gtxs gyro

gfxgfx
gfx gfx