gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 09:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  My UK holiday ***PIC ADDED***
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My UK holiday ***PIC ADDED***  (Read 1991 times)

andy619

My UK holiday ***PIC ADDED***
« on: July 05, 2006, 07:27 PM »
What an incredible 3.5 days I had back in the UK.  I arrived Tues. June 27th and was a little anxious to see some of my old friends.  I wasn't sure if I would recognize some of them, a lot of things change in 20 years, but some things don't.  Mon Barbour picked me up from the airport and off we went to Heath farms for lunch.  After lunch at the farm we went to Mon's house for a little get together and a BBQ.  Ian Osborn and Alex Leech were there along with Senile, Tim Hughes, Doug, Jeff and a few others.  We ate and drank and then off to the pub to drink more.  On Wednesday after a few ibupropfen Tim and I walked around Oxford and had a few beers and lunch, then we went to SS20 to check out the skate shop.  On Thursday Mon and his family took me punting in the morning, then off to Coombe for a good old fashioned skate session.  After Coombe we went to the Oxford ramp park where I met RADHAB, Fuzzynod and Quadrophenia.  Alex(sambmx) and Jeff showed up later.  I watched everyone else ride and skate because to be honest I was a little nervous about riding a ramp again, it's been over thirteen years since I rode a ramp.  As the sun set and it started to get dark I heard talk of leaving soon to get some food and beer, at that point I decided I had to try at least one run on the ramps.  I was really sketchy at first but I started to get into it after a couple of runs.  I tried a few airs on the mini ramp but it felt like I was going to hang up everytime so then I went to the vert ramp.  The vert ramp is a monster.  I managed to do one pop out and drop in, my airs were at coping or just under.  I wanted to go for more but without pads and a lid I knew not to push it, I was only on a bike for about 10-15 minutes at that point, besides I was going to Carlos house in the morning and wanted to give it a go on his ramps.  On Friday I made my way to Carlos house and almost immediately Carlo took me out to his ramp and handed me his bike.  Carlos ramp is huge, one big ramp park.  I didn't bother too much with the half-pipe, that thing scares the crap out me.  I mostly rode the 8ft quarter-pipe and his 8ft high jump box.  I was much more comfortable on the 8ft quarter.  Steve 1275 was in the process of building his own back yard ramp and was kind enough to let me ride his bike for the rest of the day, thanks steve.  I was getting about three feet of air going my regular direction and about two feet in the opposite direction.  I still didn't have a helmet or pads so I didn't really push to get higher, baby steps.  I learned a few tricks, tail taps, 360's on the jump box and was trying 540 tail taps when we decided to call it a day.  While the airs and tricks I did were nothing special, it was a huge milestone for me.  I've sctached the itch to ride again and now it seems that the itch has turned into a full blown rash.  I'll be riding a Proper bike soon and riding with my son, ahhh life is good.

It was awesome seeing my old friends and meeting new ones last week.  Thanks again fuzzy for the stickers and calendar.  Thanks Alex for shirt.  RADHAB it was nice to see you again.  Pete, you have wayyyyy too many bikes LOL, the GT was absolutely beautiful.  Mon and Tim-thanks for having me over, great seeing you guys again.  Zoid-thanks for making time to come down to Carlos.  Carlo-thanks to you and your family for having me over and helping me inch toward riding again.

I will post a few pictures later when I receive them.

Here is one picture that Carlo sent to me.  This was in the first ten minutes of riding.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 07:54 PM by andy619 »

RADHAB

Re: My UK holiday
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 07:39 PM »
Andy, it was great to see you again as well. I'm really pleased you've got the itch back to ride fella  :daumenhoch: Hope to see plenty of pics soon.

Steve

steve1275

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 08:05 PM »
HI ANDY
 it was super cool to meet you, hope you will return so we can all hook up , ride and chill.

peace steve :daumenhoch:

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 09:40 PM »
sounds like you had a good time....
I want to touch ORB

SaMAlex

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 07:26 PM »
It was great to see you again Andy (even though I was only about 13 when we last saw each other). You did a good job of getting our sorry arses out and all in the same place at once. Look forward to the next installment of your riding and can’t wait to see a pic of a lookback once you get them again!
ps, Thank grant for making the shirt, I just asked him for one (bsdforever, http://www.prettyheavy.com/)
pps, I changed my username.

andy619

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 08:42 PM »
Thanks for the shirt Grant/bsdforever. :daumenhoch:

andy619

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 08:51 PM »
What an incredible 3.5 days I had back in the UK.  I arrived Tues. June 27th and was a little anxious to see some of my old friends.  I wasn't sure if I would recognize some of them, a lot of things change in 20 years, but some things don't.  Mon Barbour picked me up from the airport and off we went to Heath farms for lunch.  After lunch at the farm we went to Mon's house for a little get together and a BBQ.  Ian Osborn and Alex Leech were there along with Senile, Tim Hughes, Doug, Jeff and a few others.  We ate and drank and then off to the pub to drink more.  On Wednesday after a few ibupropfen Tim and I walked around Oxford and had a few beers and lunch, then we went to SS20 to check out the skate shop.  On Thursday Mon and his family took me punting in the morning, then off to Coombe for a good old fashioned skate session.  After Coombe we went to the Oxford ramp park where I met RADHAB, Fuzzynod and Quadrophenia.  Alex(sambmx) and Jeff showed up later.  I watched everyone else ride and skate because to be honest I was a little nervous about riding a ramp again, it's been over thirteen years since I rode a ramp.  As the sun set and it started to get dark I heard talk of leaving soon to get some food and beer, at that point I decided I had to try at least one run on the ramps.  I was really sketchy at first but I started to get into it after a couple of runs.  I tried a few airs on the mini ramp but it felt like I was going to hang up everytime so then I went to the vert ramp.  The vert ramp is a monster.  I managed to do one pop out and drop in, my airs were at coping or just under.  I wanted to go for more but without pads and a lid I knew not to push it, I was only on a bike for about 10-15 minutes at that point, besides I was going to Carlos house in the morning and wanted to give it a go on his ramps.  On Friday I made my way to Carlos house and almost immediately Carlo took me out to his ramp and handed me his bike.  Carlos ramp is huge, one big ramp park.  I didn't bother too much with the half-pipe, that thing scares the crap out me.  I mostly rode the 8ft quarter-pipe and his 8ft high jump box.  I was much more comfortable on the 8ft quarter.  Steve 1275 was in the process of building his own back yard ramp and was kind enough to let me ride his bike for the rest of the day, thanks steve.  I was getting about three feet of air going my regular direction and about two feet in the opposite direction.  I still didn't have a helmet or pads so I didn't really push to get higher, baby steps.  I learned a few tricks, tail taps, 360's on the jump box and was trying 540 tail taps when we decided to call it a day.  While the airs and tricks I did were nothing special, it was a huge milestone for me.  I've sctached the itch to ride again and now it seems that the itch has turned into a full blown rash.  I'll be riding a Proper bike soon and riding with my son, ahhh life is good.

It was awesome seeing my old friends and meeting new ones last week.  Thanks again fuzzy for the stickers and calendar.  Thanks Alex for shirt.  RADHAB it was nice to see you again.  Pete, you have wayyyyy too many bikes LOL, the GT was absolutely beautiful.  Mon and Tim-thanks for having me over, great seeing you guys again.  Zoid-thanks for making time to come down to Carlos.  Carlo-thanks to you and your family for having me over and helping me inch toward riding again.

I will post a few pictures later when I receive them.

It was good to see you again Andy.... 19 years since we rode together...    i wish some of you could have seen how quick he learns stuff... he had not rode a bike for 14 years and he did a peg stall on a 8ft ramp with about 5 goes and tyre tap 10 goes that was perfect...   i will be out in L.A soon so i will hook up with you.... Thank you my friend... Carlo

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 11:15 PM »
3ft out one way, and 2ft out airing the opposite direction!!  My God. Ive been trying for 20 years just to get more than 1 foot in any direction.

Sounds like you had a right blast, and back riding again. I see you haven't lost any of your old magic.  :daumenhoch:
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

andy619

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 02:27 PM »
Carlo-Your computer is still logged on to radbmx as andy619.  Thanks again, I had a blast.  See you in September.

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 03:43 PM »
Andy , Im glad you had a great stay in the UK, Im a friend of ALex Leech and Carlo,[ Alex and I  went on a reunion roadtrip of  30 South West England riders from the late 80's / early 90's] I was so stoked to hear you were coming over, would have been great to meet you but I was working in London and couldnt get away!  Im so glad you are riding again, I always tought you were awesome, and to hear you were airing both ways after 13 or so years just proves that you still are!
Ride on dude,
steve wilson.

andy619

Re: My UK holiday ***PIC ADDED***
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 07:57 PM »
Thanks Generallee, new pic added.

steve1275

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 10:06 PM »
you still have it andy, good to see you riding again :daumenhoch:

steve

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 10:07 PM »

awesome andy just awesome

fuzzynod

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 12:28 AM »
A pleasure to meet you Andy great your going to ride again.
Come back soon :daumenhoch:
 :Great_Britain:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  My UK holiday ***PIC ADDED***

gfxgfx
gfx gfx