gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 03:35 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  T1 Barcode Questions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: T1 Barcode Questions  (Read 1930 times)

Radical Mick

T1 Barcode Questions
« on: January 21, 2013, 02:19 PM »
Have just brought a T1 Barcode frame as my first project, I think it's a 2003 Maas manufactured.

I have a few questions which hopefully someone will be able to answer.

Have noticed a tiny ding on the underside of the down tube :( does something like this mean that its not really
worth going to the trouble and expense of getting it powder coated. I have not seen many really good examples
of these bikes, so that was my aim. Is it still worth it with the small ding. Will this effect the future value?

I presume that the 14mm rear drop-outs are fine with a 14mm axle wheel.

I was looking at running a 36/13 gearing does that sound alright. (saw a 2002 Vic Murphy bike check and this is
how his bike was set up.

Hopefully someone will be able to give me some answers/opinions.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
Re: T1 Barcode Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 03:19 PM »
The dings fine me old mukka  :daumenhoch: In fact, for a frame from that period it's got off bloomin lightly.

And it *might* be a Spooky made one from the late 90's - no 'knuckle-duster' brake guide on the downtube, no cut out T1 logo on the toptube gusset, downtube size and the dropouts and headtube look spot on. Only thing that'd put me off is the 14mm drops, but they could be custom (or cut out at a later date). Would need to see a piccy of the blowholes in the bottom bracket to be sure though. Bloomin' lovely is Spooky made stuff  :daumenhoch:

If it is an earlier one, you can run a 44/16, but 36/13 would be grand as well. I've got a Fit 7075 nearly new sprocket that'd do you.

You can (if you want) get that ding braise filled and filed back, although personally you don't need to do it - it's a nice mid school frame as is and that ding is tiny - Is that it's original paint? 14mm axles will indeed fit 14mm drops. Again fella, I'm just down the road from you and have a fair old amount of crap from the late 90's/early 2000's so just give me a shout if you want owt :)

*edited as I realised I'd put about 300 feckin' smileys in the post*
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 03:25 PM by dannywhac »
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 03:23 PM »
think of it as an age related wrinkle,nowt as dan said thats nothing.

Radical Mick

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 08:38 PM »
The dings fine me old mukka  :daumenhoch: In fact, for a frame from that period it's got off bloomin lightly.

And it *might* be a Spooky made one from the late 90's - no 'knuckle-duster' brake guide on the downtube, no cut out T1 logo on the toptube gusset, downtube size and the dropouts and headtube look spot on. Only thing that'd put me off is the 14mm drops, but they could be custom (or cut out at a later date). Would need to see a piccy of the blowholes in the bottom bracket to be sure though. Bloomin' lovely is Spooky made stuff  :daumenhoch:

If it is an earlier one, you can run a 44/16, but 36/13 would be grand as well. I've got a Fit 7075 nearly new sprocket that'd do you.

You can (if you want) get that ding braise filled and filed back, although personally you don't need to do it - it's a nice mid school frame as is and that ding is tiny - Is that it's original paint? 14mm axles will indeed fit 14mm drops. Again fella, I'm just down the road from you and have a fair old amount of crap from the late 90's/early 2000's so just give me a shout if you want owt :)

*edited as I realised I'd put about 300 feckin' smileys in the post*
Have taken some more photos of the bottom bracket, head tube and dropouts, the blowholes seem a lot bigger than the spooky frames on the T1
timeline, but I'm no expert.

As for parts needed, am on the lookout for a seatpost, cranks, BB, 36t sprocket, primo casket stem and forks so let me know if you have anything that fits the bill.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 09:15 PM »
Yep - you were right fella - it's a Maas one :)

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 09:26 PM »
Nice frame set, I've got a spare casket in nice condition I'm not using

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 10:52 AM »
Is the downtube 1.75 or 1.5?
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Radical Mick

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 01:26 PM »
Nice frame set, I've got a spare casket in nice condition I'm not using
Would definitely be interested in that, how much are you looking for and do you have a pic of it I could see. Thanks :daumenhoch:

Radical Mick

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 10:07 PM »
Is the downtube 1.75 or 1.5?
I would say 1.75", the diameter is 5.75"

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 09:53 AM »
Bit of a strange One that frame, it's got some features of earlier Spooky or Kastan made frames, and later Maas made?! The cable guides don't look like anything used at the time either.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 09:57 AM »
Bit of a strange One that frame, it's got some features of earlier Spooky or Kastan made frames, and later Maas made?! The cable guides don't look like anything used at the time either.

Yeah, that's what had me confused till I saw the blow holes....

Might be worth emailing Joe and see what he has to say?

Radical Mick

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 10:47 AM »

Yeah, that's what had me confused till I saw the blow holes....

Might be worth emailing Joe and see what he has to say?
I'll do that and post any answers back here, thanks!

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 03:27 PM »
The only thing that gets in the way of loe gearing is the brake stays, or the brake really, you need to get one that is very low  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Radical Mick

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 08:00 PM »
The only thing that gets in the way of loe gearing is the brake stays, or the brake really, you need to get one that is very low  :daumenhoch:
Thanks for that, I think I am going to go for a gearing in-line with the age of the frame so hopefully a 36-13 or a bit larger will be fine.

It bloody better be, I've just brought a pair of wheels which can only take 13t - 16t freewheels.

Radical Mick

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 05:57 PM »
Well it's not everyday when checking your emails you see the name Joe Rich in your Inbox :)

I took dannywhac's advice earlier in the week and sent Joe a quick email, to see if he could help identify
the age of my barcode frame, and this is what Joe had to say.

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the email. I'm going to guess that your frame is early 02 at the latest, and possibly late 01. But I think early 02. The different
sized right and left dropout make me think one or the other. The frame looks pretty sweet though, nice find ! Let me know what you think.

-joe

I hadn't even noticed the dropouts were different sizes, I weighed it and it comes in at about 8lbs, so given what Joe says I have either got a Kastan or a Spooky,
still not too sure which, but if Joe say's I've got a pretty sweet looking frame that's good enough for me.

The next big decision is what colour to get it re-sprayed, any opinions?

I'm really chuffed that Joe took the time to get back to me, if I decide to get a new school bike it's going to be a T1 :daumenhoch:

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 06:11 PM »
looking at Your pics again, is the headtube & bottom bracket machined thinner in the middle? Earlier Maas made frame is My guess.

Radical Mick

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 08:14 PM »
looking at Your pics again, is the headtube & bottom bracket machined thinner in the middle? Earlier Maas made frame is My guess.
Yep! both the headtube and the bottom bracket are thinner in the middle, so I reckon your right in saying it's an earlier Maas frame.

Thanks for your help :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  T1 Barcode Questions

gfxgfx
gfx gfx