gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 08:17 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What was the first BMX frame to come with (welded on) Brake lugs?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What was the first BMX frame to come with (welded on) Brake lugs?  (Read 2082 times)

emerbmx

Re: What was the first BMX frame to come with (welded on) Brake lugs?
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 04:16 PM »
I'd like to publicly apologise for getting over excited and trying to tell you about bolt on centre pull brakes when it has nothing to do with welded on brake lugs. :D With that out the way-

86 Torker and 86 Street beat are currently the earliest examples of BMX frames with brake lugs?
Any one know which one was first or if there's anything earlier?

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 08:47 PM »
I thought there were earlier bmx's that had mounts with Suntour Cunningham roller cams. Not a u brake but still used frame mounts.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 09:09 PM »
I thought there were earlier bmx's that had mounts with Suntour Cunningham roller cams. Not a u brake but still used frame mounts.  :daumenhoch:

Mongoose had 'em on their ATB's in 1985. And I'm guessing but if the Roller cam came out 82ish, then welded lugs on ATB's might have appeared around '83?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 09:13 PM by dannywhac »
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

lodge

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 10:14 PM »
Ammaco issued myself and glyn lewis with prototype frames at the end of 85 they had lugs on the underside of the chainstays and also on the forks, I hadn't seen them before so I took it to a local road bike shop but they didn't have any brakes to fit.

SaMAlex

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 09:01 AM »
I thought there were earlier bmx's that had mounts with Suntour Cunningham roller cams. Not a u brake but still used frame mounts.  :daumenhoch:

Yeah, good point. Didnt Hutch have a weld-on mount Roller cam front brake?
The same one that Standard had on a few prototype forks in the 90s.

Ammaco issued myself and glyn lewis with prototype frames at the end of 85 they had lugs on the underside of the chainstays and also on the forks, I hadn't seen them before so I took it to a local road bike shop but they didn't have any brakes to fit.

Thats way cool, very interesting. Strange that Ammaco would put mounts on when the brakes werent really available. I wonder where they got the details of the mounts and the idea to use them. Esp as not many (if any) other bikes were using them in 1985

lodge

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 10:02 AM »

Yeah, good point. Didnt Hutch have a weld-on mount Roller cam front brake?
The same one that Standard had on a few prototype forks in the 90s.

Thats way cool, very interesting. Strange that Ammaco would put mounts on when the brakes werent really available. I wonder where they got the details of the mounts and the idea to use them. Esp as not many (if any) other bikes were using them in 1985

I dont think ammaco had a clue about the lugs tbh, the frames were a bit of a mystery they said It was a prototype but I suspect they were catalogue frames from usual supplier in Taiwan. I was breaking the ammaco all steel 18" frame on a weekly basis and they had to send me a complete every time so they said they would get me a stronger full chro-mo frame and the frame with the lugs is what turned up.  The frames had similarities to the ammaco styler500 such as the kicktail etc which was introduced a while later so I suspect manufactured in same place.

bof

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 10:49 AM »
Diamond back had lugged frames in 86 but i dont think they are ad 990 , i thought they also did a reactor race bike at the same time ,
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/diamondback/56394

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/diamondback/50224

nosepickben

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 11:16 AM »
Good digging bof and a very interesting story from S&Mc. So who made those lugged ammaco frames? Were they definitely Japanese?

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2013, 11:46 AM »
skyway didn't put luggs on 'beats until '87
bet they just used old beats up first +welded the luggs on  :-\
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee101/99bowtie/IMG_3141.jpg

sure it was the diamondback with  mike d strike zone in '86 -remember bmx plus having a test with one

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What was the first BMX frame to come with (welded on) Brake lugs?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx