gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 07:27 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Powder on chrome
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Powder on chrome  (Read 723 times)

Offline Gtbill

• Cherry Picker
  • To fast to go slow
  • Rated:
Powder on chrome
« on: January 10, 2013, 07:27 PM »
Can you powder over chrome and will it last  ??? 
Gtbill for all your watch and Jewellery needs

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: Powder on chrome
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 07:33 PM »
Yes you can, I had a frame and forks done not so long ago and its as tough as old boots  :daumenhoch:

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 08:03 PM »
Yes powder over chrome is very good. Much better than paint which chips easy. But the chrome needs to be keyed. So once its done the chrome underneath isn't going to be restorable unless its stripped and replated.
Superbikedan has done several chrome/powder jobs for me and they have all been excellent. So I would give him a call.

If he can't match your colour I would have a white powder base on the chrome, then paint on top of the powder. The paint can be matched perfectly if you give him a colour to go on, like an old painted part.

He recently done these Haro bars using the powder base with paint on top. It obviously costs more. But you certainly get what you pay for. And the paint match was exact against the original paint on my 88 team master.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 08:12 PM »
You don't necessarily need the chrome to be keyed before it's powdered - still really durable without keying, and if it's not keyed you can always restore back to chrome afterwards.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 08:31 PM »
But then on the other hand, I had a black gt and that was powdered over chrome. Started to peel on all drop outs :-\
Could be just bad luck though ;)
Griff loves BUM..

Offline Gtbill

• Cherry Picker
  • To fast to go slow
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 08:45 PM »
Cheers guys I have a mini gt in chrome but not sure if I should powder it white  :-\

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Cheers guys I have a mini gt in chrome but not sure if I should powder it white  :-\

If you think the chrome is k.o'd then I wouldnt hesitate.....might be a shame to powder if the chrome is nice though?  White powder rules!!

Offline Hmoon27

• Look Back
  • There's only one path to follow....
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 09:13 PM »
Leave it chrome Bill :daumenhoch:

Offline Gtbill

• Cherry Picker
  • To fast to go slow
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 09:30 PM »
The chrome is very good I just wanted a white one vim not a big chrome lover tbhb

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 10:21 PM »
Here's the answer  ;)

"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline Gtbill

• Cherry Picker
  • To fast to go slow
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 10:23 PM »

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 09:03 AM »
Yes powder over chrome is very good. Much better than paint which chips easy. But the chrome needs to be keyed. So once its done the chrome underneath isn't going to be restorable unless its stripped and replated.
Superbikedan has done several chrome/powder jobs for me and they have all been excellent. So I would give him a call.

If he can't match your colour I would have a white powder base on the chrome, then paint on top of the powder. The paint can be matched perfectly if you give him a colour to go on, like an old painted part.

He recently done these Haro bars using the powder base with paint on top. It obviously costs more. But you certainly get what you pay for. And the paint match was exact against the original paint on my 88 team master.  :daumenhoch:

Sorry Stu but Disagree here mate, That CW of mine is Chrome with the Candy Powder applied over the top and that has definatley not been keyed, had a big fall on her on the last ride but the powder was fine with no chips or scratches  :daumenhoch:

Offline MaD-RoK

• Flip-Whip
  • I think my eyeball is allergic to sperm.
    • +100km BMX Marathon. Donate here....
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 09:19 AM »
OH YES! That off was a class test of the powder over chrome.....  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline MaD-RoK

• Flip-Whip
  • I think my eyeball is allergic to sperm.
    • +100km BMX Marathon. Donate here....
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 09:22 AM »
Just to add to the debate as well, is Superchrome not just translucent powder over chrome. The chrome isn't keyed when that is done.  ???

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 09:50 AM »
Im pretty sure it is too but I could be wrong

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 10:54 AM »
OH YES! That off was a class test of the powder over chrome.....  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

mmm, yeah had a bigger one on the way back to the station as well apparently, don't remember that though!!!
That reminds me anyone got a bar end cap for some CW freestyle bars  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 03:03 PM »
If it is a translucent colour then your not going to key the surface.  :daumenhoch:
On other colours it is best. Just ask dan. I'm sure he will pop up and tell you all. ;)

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 08:26 PM »
If it is a translucent colour then your not going to key the surface.  :daumenhoch:
On other colours it is best. Just ask dan. I'm sure he will pop up and tell you all. ;)

well tbh everyone is right :)  powder clear coat over chrome like jamrolls is not keyed in nor is the superchrome but

if your powder coating a solid colour like black red white ect then i use a very heavy grit sander to key the surface otherwise

it could chip,flake easy, also some powders bond a lot more than others and in my experiance the clear coats bond really well,

the manufactures may add something to the powder to help it bond as it designed to go over chrome and alloy :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Powder on chrome

gfxgfx
gfx gfx