gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975757 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 26, 2024, 11:09 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  88.5 Haro Sport - Custom Build FINISHED!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 88.5 Haro Sport - Custom Build FINISHED!!!  (Read 12421 times)

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
88.5 Haro Sport - Custom Build FINISHED!!!
« on: January 07, 2013, 12:20 AM »
When I started my Quad thread, I mentioned i'm building bikes a bit different at the moment so i'm 100% certain that this wont be to everyone's taste or anybody's even...

I love the later Haro Sports and sourced a battered 88.5 frame and forks.  I had some 80's pink Skyways and thought mmm lets marry the two.

So I thought it through... Initially I wanted black and pink decals but couldn't source pink foils so went for a complimentary black and green.

After mocking the colour scheme, I got the artwork to Del  :daumenhoch: Another stirling job from the decal master. Paint courtesy of Kap - thanks bud  :daumenhoch:

Once I had the frame and forks dripping with lovely decals I started sourcing the parts - the NOS pink Dominator was a pain but i'm almost there...

I'd love to know what you think, good or bad (my skin is thicker than a rhino's)

PS.  I plan a one piece crank, the bars are being dipped in black paint and I have the decals to finish.  Not sure on pedals yet, I think I have some 1/2 MKS graphites somewhere... I've also added an ACS rotor  :smitten:

Chris  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 06:41 PM by Jaan »

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: 88.5 Haro Sport - Custom Build
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:32 AM »
looks like a real bike ie something thats had parts added to replace broken ones or pimped out or just as time has gone on. as opposed to strict factory spec. i like it !!

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 12:35 AM »
Thanks bud, it certainly isn't a factory spec build, i do those too but enjoy mixing it up from time to time

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 01:23 AM »
im liking the chrome bars. i think you ll be disappointed if they go black ! surprised you ve not had more replies see ing as its a haro  :shocked: maybe they all got an early night with warm milk and teddys !
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:27 AM by bobbbbsy »

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 05:28 AM »
 :smitten: ...love it mate! Looks awesome!

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 06:52 AM »
i like it, i'm doing something similar to a 87 sport right now too.

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 06:55 AM »
Nice job.  :4_17_5: :smitten: :daumenhoch:

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 06:59 AM »
Sorry Chris ... but can you read this number?  :)

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 07:40 AM »
im liking the chrome bars. i think you ll be disappointed if they go black ! surprised you ve not had more replies see ing as its a haro  :shocked: maybe they all got an early night with warm milk and teddys !

Plan was to paint just the lower third  :-\  I could leave them seeing as they're mintola...

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 07:42 AM »

Aww, does that mean you 'h'eight it?  :)

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 08:40 AM »

No I don't h'eight it at all ... anyway its a 3  ;D

Its all just personal opinion ... but IMO there's too many pink tones on there... with tyres/tuffs/brakes... the seat post clamp could be chrome/black to match the stem ... then as you have pink grips and seat 'personally' I'd go with white or black tuffs  :) or white brakes? it takes me ages to try and get colourways right and its always bloody expensive ...

As long as you are happy and can endo it like Bob Haro then you are the winner  :4_17_5:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 09:15 AM »

No I don't h'eight it at all ... anyway its a 3  ;D

Its all just personal opinion ... but IMO there's too many pink tones on there... with tyres/tuffs/brakes... the seat post clamp could be chrome/black to match the stem ... then as you have pink grips and seat 'personally' I'd go with white or black tuffs  :) or white brakes? it takes me ages to try and get colourways right and its always bloody expensive ...

As long as you are happy and can endo it like Bob Haro then you are the winner  :4_17_5:

It's a 10 as thats your "marks out of...: for the build.  ;)

I know what you mean about the colours, its a matter of taste but perhaps there is too much pink at the moment.  Its a work in progress...  I considered switching out the tyres for black ST's... Possibly a white power disk with black Redlines (modern twin pinch though) and white pedals.  Definitely agree with the seat post clamp, i'm swapping that for a black one.  So many colour ways...  :D

Yep, i can(t) endo like Bob Haro - he's actually seen this bike (long story) but i'll either smack my nads on landing, go over the handlebars, bottle it, put my foot down and generally scrape a lever up my arm before ending up in a heap on the floor.  Read my signature... "I'll see your crash and double it"

Offline Robbo

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 09:21 AM »
Nice work Chris, I'd swap out the race kneesavers for the freestyle versions. They have a lower cross bar and will look nice if you paint the lower half.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 09:34 AM »
Nice work Chris, I'd swap out the race kneesavers for the freestyle versions. They have a lower cross bar and will look nice if you paint the lower half.  :daumenhoch:

Cheers Robbo!!

If I could source some proper chrome FST bars, i'd take a set of freestyle bars of that but they're red and would need painting so would be all black which would be foolish as I have a black set on a Master - its too confusing. I might go back to bed  :'(

Really REALLY want some FST bars...

Mdbh

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 11:41 AM »
As bgk said I'd get shot of the bars  and I'd change the pink to green or black it's really not my cup of tea but still nice! :daumenhoch:
And sling that rotor in the bin and get a white gen 1 gyro;)

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 02:22 PM »
I prefer Gyro's but i'm running the ACS to make use of the current cables as i'm sticking with pink - otherwise i'm never going to use the bl00dy parts.  The good thing about the colour scheme though is you could change pink for white, black, green or combinations of the 3 and you have a different bike. 

I just wanted to use the parts for 6 months, then get shot of them, at least i'm not "pretending" its for my wife or girlfriend  :LolLolLolLol:

FAZE3

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 10:41 AM »
Loving that, it's great when you just do the bike how you wanna ;) Bitd we all had bikes how we liked um, not as the factory said we should :)

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 12:20 PM »
different and original and i like it  :daumenhoch:   

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 04:00 PM »
I'm liking it.  :daumenhoch:

Wonder what it would look like with a Black Skyway on front and White on back with the Pink Tyres. Or with a Black Tyre up front and a White on back with the Pink Skyways.  :D

Offline Darren KAP

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 04:21 PM »

:4_17_5:  fookin hell i need my sunglasses , loving the different look  :daumenhoch:
Life .......... Your here for a good time not a long time

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 04:46 PM »

Wonder what it would look like with a Black Skyway on front and White on back with the Pink Tyres. Or with a Black Tyre up front and a White on back with the Pink Skyways.  :D

Mmmm - thats quite tempting - I have the skyways to try that but not the tyres... Once i've got the crank in - i'll have a play  :daumenhoch:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 06:03 PM »

I think it would look really cool, defo have a play.  :daumenhoch:

Mmmm - thats quite tempting - I have the skyways to try that but not the tyres... Once i've got the crank in - i'll have a play  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 12:11 PM »
Couple of small adjustments made to the build

Heres the rotor - i'm liking the pink against the black.  I know most folk prefer Gyros but the Group 1 stems are perfect for ACS rotors plus i get to use my pink cables.

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 12:13 PM »
Tyre swap for some IRC FS tyres in black and also swapped out the pink Oddy seat post clamp for a NOS black Tange clamp.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 05:38 PM »
........defo prefer the black tyres  :daumenhoch:

Tyre swap for some IRC FS tyres in black and also swapped out the pink Oddy seat post clamp for a NOS black Tange clamp.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  88.5 Haro Sport - Custom Build FINISHED!!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx