gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 19, 2024, 11:56 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  My old race plates
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My old race plates  (Read 2778 times)

Offline kusam

• Berm Worm
  • Nob
  • Rated:
My old race plates
« on: January 07, 2013, 10:15 AM »
Sorted trough my cupboard at my mums last week and brought my old race plates home.

6336 plate was my UKBMX number I think - like the Haro plate but my dad cut it down to fit my bars better - grr!

North West had to switch to black numbers on white plates at some point although the black numbers on clear were OK too.  The number 2 always bugged me as in my age group it was always between me and one other girl for number 1 position.  I was first twice in 2 years on points in the winter series but you didn't get a number plate for that, it was the summer series that counted and she got the number one plate both times - Grr again!

The gold number 4 plate - another Grr! as I was on joint points that year in the NBMXA series in third place but I was positioned 4th either due to surname as I like to think although it was probably down to greater number of first places  :yahoo_silent:

Not sure what the 131 was although I know the plate originally had a blue background that was peeled off - can't remember the make of the plate, it's buggin me - was it Uni?

The number 9's must have been my regional ranking in my last year of racing when i didn't go a lot as my dadwas terminally ill.

Anyway, thought I'd share them - they've now gone into my BMX box of magazines, badges, race programmes etc.  Still got my oldrace gear but undecuded what to do with it - it's mostly Joyda stuff (north west racers will know about that!) but I have got some Haro/Kuwahara pants and Kuwahara top that are going nowhere!

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: My old race plates
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 02:31 PM »
you need to get them framed,  or at least your favourite one,  nice bit of history there...

what years were you racing in the north west?
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 02:33 PM »
i love that cut down haro one
totally cool imo :)

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 03:11 PM »
The 131 plate is a Zeronine plate used for smaller 20" bikes and cruisers mainly. I went through 2-3 of those but the couple I have left are both falling apart where the slots are  :'(

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 03:16 PM »
You haven't still got one of your old race bikes have you bud?  That would make a fantastic survivor build especially with your old plate on it too  :)

Funny how we didn't think twice to adapting parts that were readily available from the shops but wouldn't dream of it now...

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 07:55 PM »

nice bit of history there.  :)

Offline kusam

• Berm Worm
  • Nob
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 09:05 PM »
Meticulous - I started in 84...my dad was happy to buy me a BMX But the deal was I had to go racing!  glad I did! Think I finished in 87 so wasn't long, may have still done some races in 88, not sure.  Dad died Dec 88 and was bad for some time before so definitely stopped some time before mid 88. You're from Oldham aren't you? I got my first BMX from the dedicated Falcon shop next to the Roxy cinema. Can't believe now that they had their own Falcon store and in such an area as it was!

Jon - Zeronine, that's it! Knew Uni didn't seem quite right but just could not remember!

Jaan - still got my second BMX which was Kuwahara laser lite f&f and built up with Ukai 1 3/8 wheels, laser bars (though used v bars from my first BMX - falcon pro omega for some time as they were smaller and gave better.control, even though I just.wanted straight bars!), uni mini seat... The bike is in my avatar, photo taken some years back to post on here. Another Grr point is that my dad cut the rear brake bridge to fit wheels better!! But there's a thread on here somewhere where someone explained the reasoning but i can't find it! Not sure what I'm gonna.do with the bike, always said would never get rid of it, i love it, but It's just sat under a cover at my mums. I've no room for it and am sure someone else could do it justice, I can't, but at same time can't see me letting it go.

DR VINOAH

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 09:26 PM »
Great history there Su

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 09:56 PM »
Think this is you Sam ???,btw thats me with the burgundy sta-prest on :D

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:00 PM by rooski »

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 10:08 PM »
I see you've got a roch valley sticker on one of your plates, did you race for them bitd ?
I was a member of roch valley raiders from when they started till about 83/84 raced a few times and picked up 5 or 6 trophies. All seems a bit of a blur now.
I've got no momento's of my bmx days only a few pics, here's me in my Joyda racing gear on my old GT Pro at Heywood.  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 12:11 AM by CustardLips »
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 10:11 PM »

Andy, is that Paul Barlow in the red Joyda gear and the no.1 plate ?

"WWG1WGA"

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 10:43 PM »

Andy, is that Paul Barlow in the red Joyda gear and the no.1 plate ?

Dunno Nick,think Bof is on one of the pics from that meet though,i nicked this on off an old thread,Greetland Bondina is the track :daumenhoch:

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 11:04 PM »
Been lookin' and i think it's deffo him. Used to go to school with him.
He and another pal of ours were responsible for giving me the name custard lips.  ???
After i jacked in bmx he went on to become NW no.1, think he raced nationally also.
Don't know what bike he's on there but he used to cruise the streets on a ripper.
Where's Greetland Bodina, is up Halifax way ?

"WWG1WGA"

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 11:14 PM »
Theres a few more pics on another couple of threads,from that meet,hes probably one some more.
god knows what the bike is,the forks look a bit like Hutch ones ???
yeah the track is right on the tops over Halifax :daumenhoch:

Offline kusam

• Berm Worm
  • Nob
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 02:52 AM »
Yep, It's Paul Barlow definitely. Think he is by his dad too. Remember the other Barlows too, Nigel and Pam. Had to race Pam at Heywood at times due to lack of girls my age - she was in the age group older than me.

I was Roch Valley member throughout my racing days and was on their A team at big meetings. Also joined Batting and ribby racers though but was always really RVR - still got my club shirts. Custard lips,what's your real name then? I remember a lot of RVR members.

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 08:28 PM »
Meticulous - I started in 84...my dad was happy to buy me a BMX But the deal was I had to go racing!  glad I did! Think I finished in 87 so wasn't long, may have still done some races in 88, not sure.  Dad died Dec 88 and was bad for some time before so definitely stopped some time before mid 88. You're from Oldham aren't you? I got my first BMX from the dedicated Falcon shop next to the Roxy cinema. Can't believe now that they had their own Falcon store and in such an area as it was!

yes i'm from oldham sam,   but i dont remember the bike shop,  its hard to remember how the road layout was there now to be honest,  now they have put a motorway right through were all the houses where, 1984 was the year i left school and started work and sold my bmx to a guy on here called JJ (think his name is JJJ on here) so you came into it when i got out :-\   and like you say what a place to have a dedicated place to have factory bike shop when they were more established bike shops in the area to go to (skiddies and suntal)...

:daumenhoch:
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 09:25 PM »
Sam my name is Nick Eden, but i reckon i also had started to move away from the bmx scene round about the time you started racing. Bet i could name a few names who were still knocking about though like the said Barlows, the Hibberts and the Robertsons who's mam Diane took me to Rochdale Infirmary when i came of my bike in the early day's of the track being built (Spent 5 days hospitalised with concussion). That's what you get for not wearing an helmet i suppose.  :idiot2:
Been getting back down there a few times these last 12mths or so with my lad. Bit different now though especially since it's had a face lift.  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:21 PM by CustardLips »

"WWG1WGA"

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  My old race plates

gfxgfx
gfx gfx