gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 10:16 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  post help please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: post help please  (Read 882 times)

scott250

post help please
« on: January 04, 2013, 09:57 PM »
Any tips on removing a rusty seatpost from a frame please. I've tried to twist it in a vice, hammer it :idiot2: sprayed wd40 at it, no luck so far - anything else I can try? thanks

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Re: post help please
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 09:59 PM »
Take a leaf out of Snapper's book and kill it with fire  :daumenhoch: smick!  :LolLolLolLol: 
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline adenough

• 540 Air
  • Buzz Killington...
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 10:00 PM »
try a blow torch which should expand the surrounding tubing :daumenhoch:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 10:02 PM »
Or my prefered way is to bung up any week hole to the bb and fill the seat tube to the stop with a strong solution of citric acid.
One or two of the little 50mg tubs used for home brews should do the trick. Give it 24 hours  :daumenhoch:

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/home-brewing/wilko-citric-acid-50g/invt/0022652/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:06 PM by oldschoolace »
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 10:05 PM »
Take an old stem that doesnt really mean much to you, clamp it as tight as you can around the seatpost and then put a bar/tube over the quill end to give you some leverage.  That little sucka should shift in no time....

Or failing that, use the proven blowtorch technique that our good man adenough sported recently  :LolLolLolLol:

scott250

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:09 PM »
Cheers all, was trying to avoid the heat method as its a nice candy apple red frame.  Citric acid might be a tryer  :D

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:12 PM »
Cheers all, was trying to avoid the heat method as its a nice candy apple red frame.  Citric acid might be a tryer  :D

:daumenhoch: I have used it on a few rusty frames and its amazing how it shifts rust. If you have access to a vice it shouldnt be a problem at all if it doesnt just fall out  ;)

scott250

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 10:18 PM »
Take an old stem that doesnt really mean much to you, clamp it as tight as you can around the seatpost and then put a bar/tube over the quill end to give you some leverage.  That little sucka should shift in no time....

Or failing that, use the proven blowtorch technique that our good man adenough sported recently  :LolLolLolLol:

In this case its not a goer as the post is far too low to get a stem on, cheers anyways

scott250

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 10:21 PM »

:daumenhoch: I have used it on a few rusty frames and its amazing how it shifts rust. If you have access to a vice it shouldnt be a problem at all if it doesnt just fall out  ;)

Well, I'm going to give this a go, cheers  :daumenhoch:

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 09:18 AM »
Yep....definitely sounds like the heat method will be your preferred tactic if its too low down to grab

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  post help please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx