gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975623 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 24, 2024, 02:11 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  mid school bmx..?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: mid school bmx..?  (Read 2406 times)

leehunt1

mid school bmx..?
« on: January 03, 2013, 08:29 PM »
am i correct in thinking mid school bmx is 1988 - 2000..?

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: mid school bmx..?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 08:30 PM »
well ,,thatll do  its kinda got moving brackets.

Offline monkeybat

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:31 PM »
No its all about the 90s.

leehunt1

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:33 PM »
Im doing a 2003 custom DK six pack build and wondered what class it would be..?

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 08:34 PM »
I would say your about right.

It's the era where parts actually could do the job they were made to do.  :daumenhoch:

If it fell off or didn't stop its a bit from the old school era.  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Hmoon27

• Look Back
  • There's only one path to follow....
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 10:00 PM »
Or if it weighed a tonne :D

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 10:05 PM »
1988-1998 is pretty much what most collectors will say is mid but it does have grey areas. All the good stuff was pre 95 though (In my humble opinion).   :police:  :LolLolLolLol:
***Wanted - Cash waiting***
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 10:32 PM »
1988-1998 is pretty much what most collectors will say is mid but it does have grey areas. All the good stuff was pre 95 though (In my humble opinion).   :police:  :LolLolLolLol:

With exception to a 2 Hip Big Boy obviously Jon  ;)  ;D

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 10:36 PM »
Your so right Gavin.  :daumenhoch:

And the condors, s&m's and standards.  ;)

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 10:55 PM »
Your so right Gavin.  :daumenhoch:

And the condors, s&m's and standards.  ;)

Hell yeah Stu!  :daumenhoch: ....They all rock!

Offline GTnumber1

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 03:36 PM »

+1 to me mid is from 1990

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 06:54 PM »

The problem is you cant call and 88/89 Master old school and a 90 master mid school. They are essentially the same bike. The same can be said for 88/89 PFT and a 90/91 PFT. We all know there are subtle component and frame changes but not enough to split them into different old and new school categories.

For me most of the brands brought in major changes to their bikes in the late 80's which they carried into the 90's, and for me that marked the start of the mid school era. There are of course exceptions which is why I said there are grey areas in my initial post.
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 07:11 PM »
Movable boundaries - changed when tricks changed, so bike geo/build etc changes.

Sooo, depends on the company that made them, I'd say the more 'popular' companies didn't pick up on the changes till 1990+ (not all of em though, some did), where as the rider owned/inspired one's were two years earlier. So as a general rule it starts around 1988.

Mid-school ending - again depends on the company, but I'd say 2003 was the final year. BB's changed, frames started to become lighter, more geo changes etc.

Down to your own opinion really. As for the good'ns being pre-'95....bah humbug  ;D Standard, DK, S&M, FBM, T1, TNT, Dragonfly, KHE, 2-HIP, Metal, Eastern, Solid the list goes on for good'ns that came out after '95.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 07:33 PM »
it depends how old you are . to me mid school is 94 on but then i did nt grow up listening to the clash like some of these dudes !¬ go look at 1994 f1 cars and tell me they dont look old school and senna was still alive and up to 94 race bike frames had not changed much from the 80s in design except for the straight steerer tubes and there was still some decent rap music coming out !

leehunt1

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 07:53 PM »
it depends how old you are . to me mid school is 94 on but then i did nt grow up listening to the clash like some of these dudes !¬ go look at 1994 f1 cars and tell me they dont look old school and senna was still alive and up to 94 race bike frames had not changed much from the 80s in design except for the straight steerer tubes and there was still some decent rap music coming out !

have u been in the pub all day..?  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 08:01 PM »
erm- no ?!  ???

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 08:03 PM »
Down to your own opinion really. As for the good'ns being pre-'95....bah humbug  ;D Standard, DK, S&M, FBM, T1, TNT, Dragonfly, KHE, 2-HIP, Metal, Eastern, Solid the list goes on for good'ns that came out after '95.

For sure its personal opinion but the way I see it is...

Standard: Pre 95 Shorty / Lengthy / STA has be be right up there as some of their most special bikes. Almost everything they made after that was an adaption of those 3.
DK: 95 DK legend (Made by BOSS) was a bike that won AA Pro mains and Dirt circuit finals. Legend indeed!
S&M: K9 Dzine, Mad Dog, OG Dirt Bike, OG Holmes, Challenger, HAF, Menstrual Cycle..... All Pre 95.
TNT: Longfellow, Stovepipe, HFD, all pre 95 and rest of their mid bikes were all adaptions of these.
2 Hip: Didnt the Pork first arrive in 95? And the Stout boy and Big boy were definitely 95 models. For me those 3 sum up the best of 2 Hip anyways.
WAL: The Riot is pre 95 and a legendary bike.
Hoffman: Condor, Big Daddy, TAJ, all pre 95 and for me the best of the HB lot.

Homeless, Basic, Ketch, Hyper, Boss, etc, etc all made their best bikes in the early 90's as well.

Dragonfly, KHE, & Eastern were never my cup of tea no matter what year they were made.  :-X

As for T1, FBM, Metal, Solid, WTP, Fit, they all have made great bikes and were all part of the late mid era. Im not suggesting they are not good at all. I own a few of them myself and certainly have my eye on adding a few more to the collection. I just think the bikes from the birth of mid school are a little more special then the ones that rounded it off. They all have their place though for sure.  :daumenhoch:
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Offline GTnumber1

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 08:07 PM »

The problem is you cant call and 88/89 Master old school and a 90 master mid school. They are essentially the same bike. The same can be said for 88/89 PFT and a 90/91 PFT. We all know there are subtle component and frame changes but not enough to split them into different old and new school categories.

For me most of the brands brought in major changes to their bikes in the late 80's which they carried into the 90's, and for me that marked the start of the mid school era. There are of course exceptions which is why I said there are grey areas in my initial post.

90 pft is a whole complete different frame (+ geometry)/ forks, bars and even the post  to a 89 .......89 is exacttly the same as a 87... so cant see how there the same when all they shared was basically the sr power series cranks  :-\

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 08:11 PM »
 ::) :LolLolLolLol:

Mdbh

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 08:15 PM »
+ 1 started from 1990

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 08:16 PM »

90 pft is a whole complete different frame (+ geometry)/ forks, bars and even the post  to a 89 .......89 is exacttly the same as a 87... so cant see how there the same when all they shared was basically the sr power series cranks  :-\

So you are saying these two bikes define 2 completely different eras? I know they have some different parts and cosmetic changes (as stated in my original post) but do you feel they warrant a change in era?

RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

leehunt1

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 08:28 PM »
this is really interesting  :)
weres devilscock when u need him..?

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 08:31 PM »
Jon....I was under the impression that the 2 Hip Big Boy were all 97 models?  Correct me if im wrong though  :-\

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 08:34 PM »
I'd say Danny is spot on about depending on the company concerned,took most of the big companies till 1990 to produce long race frames with "modern" geometry,some such as TNT,Free agent etc were doing this around 87

Offline GTnumber1

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 08:48 PM »
ye to me they are cos ive got both and GT completely redesigned the  pft frame for the 90s and the no rake fork  ( only resemblance is the down tube which they stuck with as it was there trade mark) think the top tube length is shorter too, will have to measure mine.... both look different to  me what ever anyone says..so yep mid school to me  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  mid school bmx..?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx