gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 05:36 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Freewheel advice
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Freewheel advice  (Read 3222 times)

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Freewheel advice
« on: December 30, 2012, 02:39 PM »
Seen a thread a while back about this but can't find it !
Got a freewheel that needs re-greasing and seem to remember a thread about soaking it in petrol/diesel !
Is this right and which do i use ?  :)
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
Re: Freewheel advice
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 02:43 PM »
Soak it in petrol fella - when you've taken it out leave it for a bit so the petty can evaporate then use some Finish Line Wet Lube (oo-er etc) to re-grease.

Or take it apart and clean it, it's easy but there's a fook load of bearings so do it over a tub or summit to catch 'em.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 03:15 PM »
bin it !  :daumenhoch:

pkripster

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 03:29 PM »
Bin it ya tight sod u buy nos shimano 333 for just over a tenner on bay

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 03:59 PM »
No shimano 333's on ebay, besides it's a suntour which is in good nick, just needs a bit of lube.
Only for my lad's bike so don't need to be going overboard forking out £££'s.  ;)

"WWG1WGA"

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 05:01 PM »
as danny said petrol then wet lube or strip it and clean it

we throw away far to much stuff that can be easily fixed :daumenhoch:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 05:20 PM »
Kev, I agree..but for £7 you can get a new one. If the fooked one is worn inside, it will result in failure at some point, he said its for his nipper, who probably values his plums, even if no one else does.
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 05:50 PM »
broken freewheels are designed to be chucked n changed hence why they screw on. even if you rebuild it there no guarantee it wont still sound like poo .. crappy clicky freewheel noise is the worst !

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 07:45 PM »
true but the £7 ones tend to be the crappy dicta ones

ive rebuilt around 6 shimano mx30 freewheels over the years, 4 of them for proper riders (not just cruising around on) with no probs and it also takes away the annoying clicking sound :daumenhoch:

most of them were just stuck on a hub and i had no tool for removing them so putting the bare body into a vice was the way i got em off :LolLolLolLol:

if the freewheel is worn then of course its not worth stripping and rebuilding as it wont fix the damage but if its just noisy because its finally lost all its lube then why waste £7 on a crappy freewheel when yours can be fixed for next to nothing :daumenhoch:

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 10:16 PM »
17t suntour for a tenner !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-Suntour-17-Tooth-Freewheel-3-32-Old-School-Vintage-BMX-/121041724267?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item1c2ea6236b

a cheap one provided its a good example and not defective should be fine for a nipper. kids dont exert massive force on them !

i ll rebuild hubs all day but really dont have the patience for freewheels !  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 10:17 PM by bobbbbsy »

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 12:36 PM »
How long do i leave it to soak ?

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 12:48 PM »
How long do i leave it to soak ?

Depends how full of sh1t it is - pull it out after 24 hours and see if it's got that gritty feel to it - give it quite e few spins to see if the grit dislodges. If it doesn't, pop it back in for another 24.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 12:58 PM »
@ Kev S, nowt wrong with Dictas, I stick on all my bikes and they get ridden with no issues whatsoever. Also, they look the part and are excellent vfm. :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 01:04 PM »
@ Kev S, nowt wrong with Dictas, I stick on all my bikes and they get ridden with no issues whatsoever. Also, they look the part and are excellent vfm. :daumenhoch:

x2   :daumenhoch:

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 01:08 PM »
Thanks fella's.  :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 01:09 PM »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-Suntour-17-Tooth-Freewheel-3-32-Old-School-Vintage-BMX-/121041724267?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item1c2ea6236b
And the seller is a member on here  :daumenhoch:  I bought one of these and it's damn perfect  :coolsmiley:  Great value for money. The Dicta's are okay for minimum mileage Dan but wait til they get dusty or proper dirty from 'non road/pavement' riding. You will change your mind then  :D
BANNED

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 01:32 PM »

And the seller is a member on here  :daumenhoch:  I bought one of these and it's damn perfect  :coolsmiley:  Great value for money. The Dicta's are okay for minimum mileage Dan but wait til they get dusty or proper dirty from 'non road/pavement' riding. You will change your mind then  :D

Aren't you running a 1/8 chain though?  No sloppage problems with a 3/32 freewheel?

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 01:33 PM »

And the seller is a member on here  :daumenhoch:  I bought one of these and it's damn perfect  :coolsmiley:  Great value for money. The Dicta's are okay for minimum mileage Dan but wait til they get dusty or proper dirty from 'non road/pavement' riding. You will change your mind then  :D

Aren't you running a 1/8 chain though?  No sloppage problems with a 3/32 freewheel?
It's the other way round bro. You cannot run a 3/32 chain on 1/8 freewheel. The link slots are too small
BANNED

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 01:36 PM »

And the seller is a member on here  :daumenhoch:  I bought one of these and it's damn perfect  :coolsmiley:  Great value for money. The Dicta's are okay for minimum mileage Dan but wait til they get dusty or proper dirty from 'non road/pavement' riding. You will change your mind then  :D

It's the other way round bro. You cannot run a 3/32 chain on 1/8 freewheel. The link slots are too small

Oh, i see. I've avoided buying those freewheels for nothing then, anyway i'm off to paint some tyres  ;D

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 01:38 PM »
If it's a decent freewheel and just full of gunk then get it cleaned out - I won't be binning my nearly new ACS freewheels for sure. Likewise if it's worn then just get another  :daumenhoch:
If any serious riding is to be done then you need to be looking at Suntour/Shimano as a minimum.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 01:47 PM »
If any serious riding is to be done then you need to be looking at Suntour/Shimano as a minimum.
Nothing serious just a 9year old tear-arsing round the streets.  :laugh:
Might get him a dicta and keep the suntour for myself.  :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 01:51 PM »
I've just bought the last 3 Suntours from the bay - fookin bargain at £8.50 a pop  >:D

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 02:01 PM »
I've just bought the last 3 Suntours from the bay - fookin bargain at £8.50 a pop  >:D
:daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 06:17 PM »
Personally i like the sound of a clicking freewheel,it reassures me that its WORKING,and i kinda like that :)

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 06:23 PM »
Personally i like the sound of a clicking freewheel,it reassures me that its WORKING,and i kinda like that :)

You certainly get that with the Shimano on my Goose Andy, I thought it was fooled. :shocked:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Freewheel advice

gfxgfx
gfx gfx