gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 10:19 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  401 flights.....repro techmatic bb
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 401 flights.....repro techmatic bb  (Read 1211 times)

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
401 flights.....repro techmatic bb
« on: December 18, 2012, 09:14 AM »
Having problems with a set of single pinch Redline flights with a 19mm spindle and a repro techmatic BB......

I've had these flights around 6 months and just bought the techmatic repro BB - all seemed good and started unpacking ready to build up a RL20, but found that I couldnt get the bearing cones/adaptors onto the spindle.

The chain wheel side goes on about 3 turns, then locks and wont go any further, and on the other side, the lock nut goes on fine, but the bearing cone wont go on at all. They all seem too tight?

Has anyone got any ideas? The threads on the spindle look a little worn (they are 30 years old!) but the last guy had no problems?
When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

Offline adenough

• 540 Air
  • Buzz Killington...
  • Rated:
Re: 401 flights.....repro techmatic bb
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 09:24 AM »
is one side a left hand thread, i.e. anti clockwise to tighten?

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 09:32 AM »
I've got the thread direction all correct........I remember it was the same for one piece BB bitd!
And BMX.

Offline adenough

• 540 Air
  • Buzz Killington...
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 09:38 AM »
Hammer?  :LolLolLolLol:

deeman

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 04:28 PM »
If they have a 19mm spindle it sounds like you have Redline prolines and not flights.The Techmatic will have been made for flights.I could also be wrong!!! :idiot2: :daumenhoch:
Sorry I can't see the pics atm for some reason

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 04:36 PM »
according to this thread their flights

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=13478

"The 401 Series accepted a six splined spindle had full wrap around pedal bosses and wrap around pinch bolt bosses. Introduced in 1981 these are very similar to the original FLIGHT cranks accept that they do have pinch bolts. "

hope you dont mind, emaield you the photos as i cant get to upload images here. newbie and all!

And BMX.

deeman

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 04:43 PM »
no worries dude,emailed you back :daumenhoch:

deeman

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 04:56 PM »
What kind of RL-20 do you have Marc? :coolsmiley:

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 05:03 PM »
unbuilt, NOS, RL20 first gen white frame and forks and a full kit of parts I've been buying over the past year.
And BMX.

deeman

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 05:12 PM »
unbuilt, NOS, RL20 first gen white frame and forks and a full kit of parts I've been buying over the past year.

OH YES!now you are talking!It wasn't the one that went recently on ebay was it?I love these bikes,I started building one a while ago but gave up as it just wasn't right for a few reasons.Here is apic of most of the bits i had :daumenhoch:

How are you building it?are you going to do it to the '84 ad?I don't know how era correct etc you are aiming for but the chainwheel you have is not a bubble font one which would have been found on a bike of this vintage.Can't wait to see some pics dude :daumenhoch:

deeman

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 05:26 PM »
Here's the pics dude.Can anyone help this man? :daumenhoch:

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 08:17 PM »
i've got one of those repro techmatics as well.the threads need a tap running through
as whoever made them didn't do a very accurate job.luckily i had a spare bit of a tioga
sealed BB that fitted.

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 06:50 AM »
thanks - i was thinking the threads were tight. I don't have another thread, so might find an engineering shop who might have some taps/dies. Did find some on the bay but at £20 a shot...........

re deeman's rl20 build, I bought my ff in July from Si in Essex. Here's the frame and forks

http://s1275.beta.photobucket.com/user/mrocco17/media/IMG-20120730-00620_zps9d0e329d.jpg.html'sort=3&o=21

I'm building to suit the parts list as scheduled in Freestylin' magazine, again, as this breakdown, except I'll be using the flights, black white Oakley b1b's, mks graflight pedals, dia compe 880fs, and forklifter bars (straight cross bar). Ive got all the parts less a black headset (the hatta mx2 are too pricely, might go tange mx2) and chain (easily pick up an izumi in chrome). I'm in the process of getting the bars and seat post p/coated white so overall it will be whited out, just like so many of the bikes at that time.

http://s1275.beta.photobucket.com/user/mrocco17/media/1984RedlineRL-20Pro-styler2_zpse4925ab4.jpg.html'sort=3&o=0

Ive never liked the Prostyler as the advert - I think Redline rushed it to keep upo with the 'new' freestyle market at the time.

Re the bubblefont chainwheel, I have one of these, but might use the one in the picture with the crank arms as the writing matches the Redline typeface on the frame and forks and is the 84 era - not sure of time line, but the bubblefont looks good when the bikes older, around 82?

still working on uploading images..............
And BMX.

deeman

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 11:52 AM »
Nice one Marc,sounds like it will be a lovely bike when built.I am not a fan of the 84 ad bike either- bit too burner like with those v bars.I was loosely working to the same pic as you!but alas,my frame was not a proper prostyler it was a later one stickered to look like the old one,and i didn't have and couldn't find the right forks. :daumenhoch:

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 11:59 PM »
had a result.the bearing adaptor on the chain side has gone on with lots of quarter turn forward, half turn back action with some cutting oil. Cant ge tthe other side at all though...does anyone know the thread size? I think, from other threads, that its 19mm left hand 28tpi? I want to find a tap and recut?
And BMX.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  401 flights.....repro techmatic bb

gfxgfx
gfx gfx