gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 07:40 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Proud bb bearings
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Proud bb bearings  (Read 454 times)

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Proud bb bearings
« on: December 18, 2012, 04:58 PM »
repop redline twin pinchers ; the bb bearings have a habit of sitting proud on one side when fitted and i cant remember which side it was or should be ?   :crazy2:

nosepickben

Re: Proud bb bearings
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 05:07 PM »
Neither should be proud, I have removed and re-fitted mine today in another frame, they were a bugger to remove because the spacer tube was a little too wide so I couldn't get my bashing tube to contact with the inner face of the bearings/cups to knock them out after I had removed the crank arms and spindle. Got them out eventually thogh. When I re-fitted them, the bearings/cups went in with very light copper hammer use. The BB shell on the new frame was a gnat's wider so when the cranks went back in, the spacer had just a little movement in it before the spindle went through, so next time they come off, I will be able to knock them out easily. The bearings are now flush within the cups, the cups are flush to the frame. All good.  :daumenhoch:
Is it your cup or bearing that is proud? If it is a bearing then your spacer tube is too long. Take a little off (the amount that the bearing is proud) using file or grinder.

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 05:21 PM »
the bearing should sit a little proud on the non drive side about 1 or 2mm, if they sit flush then the tube spacer wont be tight against the bearings and will bind a bit wearing them out a bit quicker.

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 06:06 PM »
thanks nosepick  :daumenhoch:  great reply and probably for the amount of time i'll ride it ,is the best option cheers  :)

john thanks for that will do   ;) non drive side non drive side !!   :LolLolLolLol:  cheers ..

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Proud bb bearings

gfxgfx
gfx gfx