gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 10:30 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Crank removal tool for 3 piece cranks? (PIC ADDED) Please Look!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Crank removal tool for 3 piece cranks? (PIC ADDED) Please Look!  (Read 2425 times)

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Crank removal tool for 3 piece cranks? (PIC ADDED) Please Look!
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 08:24 PM »
Sounds a good idea, just a bit shy to try these things and cause damage  :-[

I'll have a ponder and update.

You can make your own tool for pulling arms on or off. All you need is a longer bolt and a bunch of penny washers taped together.

To get your cranks apart right now, put the bolt back in the arm, but leave it a turn or two loose. give the head of the bolt a whack with a hammer - you'll see things start to move. Loosen the bolt a little more and give it another whack. Assuming it's all moving now, take the bolt out before you do any damage to the threads and as others have said, use the extension bar from a socket set (or any other decent drift) and continue knocking the axle through. Eventually a crank arm will fall off, you can then knock the axle and other arm out of the bike completely. Three piece cranks are supremely simple, the axle just sits within the bearing and can be tapped in and out easily. The whole thing is clamped in position and held tight by the crank arms.

Be sure to reassemble with a good amount of copper grease on all mating surfaces.

:)

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 08:26 PM »
Ah that very helpful, I'm going to steal them photo's before you copyright them  >:D >:D

Just realised I've got these in me photobucket, might help for a spot of reference.

Profiles assembled how they'd be on a bike:

Disassembled:

bof

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 08:39 PM »
Sounds a good idea, just a bit shy to try these things and cause damage  :-[

I'll have a ponder and update.

You can make your own tool for pulling arms on or off. All you need is a longer bolt and a bunch of penny washers taped together.

To get your cranks apart right now, put the bolt back in the arm, but leave it a turn or two loose. give the head of the bolt a whack with a hammer - you'll see things start to move. Loosen the bolt a little more and give it another whack. Assuming it's all moving now, take the bolt out before you do any damage to the threads and as others have said, use the extension bar from a socket set (or any other decent drift) and continue knocking the axle through. Eventually a crank arm will fall off, you can then knock the axle and other arm out of the bike completely. Three piece cranks are supremely simple, the axle just sits within the bearing and can be tapped in and out easily. The whole thing is clamped in position and held tight by the crank arms.

Be sure to reassemble with a good amount of copper grease on all mating surfaces.

:)

I would be careful using the bolt in the end method , if the cranks have been on a long time and no grease used on installation they can be a bit stubborn to remove , I would recommend using the proper tool if possible it just makes things a lot easier and safer :-)

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 08:45 PM »
No local bike shop to you?
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 09:03 PM »
There are a couple I might try if I get a chance this week.
No local bike shop to you?

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 09:44 PM »
Looks like Danny's beat me to it with how they go together but i've took some pics to help if you wanna see  :)

An idiots guide so to speak  ;D
2 minutes turkish...

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 10:03 PM »
Yes please, any help appreciated  :)

Looks like Danny's beat me to it with how they go together but i've took some pics to help if you wanna see  :)

An idiots guide so to speak  ;D

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2012, 11:26 PM »
Here we go then  :daumenhoch:

An idiots guide to removing profile or similar cranks

Loosen the back wheel and get the chain out the way, i haven't but you'll get the idea

Hammer and a profile removal/installation tool or if you don't have one a 1/4" socket set extension bar, and old one is a good idea, like mine the ends will mushroom after a few years bb removal  ;D

Assuming your cranks/bb look something like this, remove the non drive side axle bolt and washer, if you want to remove the drive side arm and sprocket from the axle loosen the bolts a touch while they're still on the bike to make em easier to remove once the cranks are out, for bb replacement or swapping cranks from bike to bike just the non drive side will do  :daumenhoch:

Removal tool screws into the axle then you whack the end of the tool pushing the axle out of the drive side

Or if you don't have a removal tool the socket extension bar will do the same job

This end

Place here, and whack it again pushing the axle toward the drive side  :daumenhoch:

With profile cranks the axle bolts hold the whole thing together, bb cups should sit slightly proud of the bb shell like this

Before you fit a bb put the bearings/cups on an axle with the tube spacer and hold em up to the bb shell to check the tube spacer is long enough if it's too short the cranks won't spin freely, saves the ball ache of finding out when you fit the cranks and tighten everything up  >:(

Here's the whole axle/bb as Danny pictured but with the cone spacers, wider one goes on the non drive side  :daumenhoch:

To remove the bb use the socket set extension bar to lever the tube spacer out of the way and give the bearing cups a good whacking till they pop out, they do end up covered in whack marks on the back

I know they're an odd pair of bearings but they were the first 2 i found in my box of shite  ;D

Hope this has been some help  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:40 PM by Betty »
2 minutes turkish...

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 08:48 AM »
Oh there's always one that has to go one better eh Betty  :yahoo_silent:

:LolLolLolLol:
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 09:29 PM »
I was bored Danny  :LolLolLolLol:
2 minutes turkish...

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Crank removal tool for 3 piece cranks? (PIC ADDED) Please Look!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx