gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 08:20 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hutch Trickstar Restoration query
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hutch Trickstar Restoration query  (Read 1109 times)

Hutch71

Hutch Trickstar Restoration query
« on: December 07, 2012, 11:08 AM »
Hi.

I'm new to any sort of forum really. I have a question about my Hutch Trickstar and wondered if anyone can help steer me.

It's original red, with original cranks, but am wondering about a respray or being chrome dipped. I've also got original Tuff II's (green!), but would sell those off I think to get some white ones.
I've got MKS Graphite pedals.

My question is what's the best route to go down. A full and proper restore to factory spec or a more personalised rebuild? Is it valued by the sum of it's parts or more so to keeping true to it's original spec?

Where is good to get the restore done too? I'm in Essex...

Cheers in advance...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:45 PM by Hutch71 »

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Hutch Trickstar Restoration query
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 11:16 AM »
welcome to the forum fella.

first things first.

1. put up some pictures. a decent survivor (original) may be more appealing to some, and it may not be in bad nick.

2. ask yourself what you want to do with it. is it to relive your youth/nostalgia? or is it for an investment/make some cash.

3. if you go down the resto route, do you want it to be something you can ride to the pub etc, or a show condition bike as the difference in cost of the two could be substantial

Al Wyn

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 11:18 AM »
Welcome to the forum...id say go original on it bud...Essex you say Dans your man http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=56789.0 hth :daumenhoch:

ozone

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 01:01 PM »
Chrome would cost a bomb as a load of prep would be needed on a raw frame so leaving as is or a re-powder would be your best option IMO...

Has anyone tried to buy it from you yet?   :D

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 04:08 PM »
Welcome to Rad mate.

What cranks are on the bike?
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 05:07 PM »
Yeah we need some pics. If its original candy red and in good nick ill swap it for any colour you want!  :coolsmiley:

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 06:50 PM »
homework is your first thing

look at other members rides on here and around - see what you like

cash is going to play a part - it's like climbing a big hill - hard at times to keep moving up, but once up on top the view is great, and it's all down hill easy from there

do you have the time or can you make the time for rider or show bike ?

study every thing first and ask loads of question (we don't mind) and look at it all to see which way you want to go

cheers B  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Hutch71

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 12:51 PM »
Cheers for all the advice so far peoples. The frame/forks/cranks and bars are original. Pedals are original MKS graphites, original green Skyway Tuff II's (from my haro sport which I swapped). I got a 'spinner' on it on my last restore (back in '95). Can't recall the brakes, but will check.

Can we swap stuff on this site as I reckon I'll go the original route, but with white Tuff II's?

More questions coming once I've dug around a bit myself...

PS Any freestyle comps still on in the UK? I used to go to the Sprite Urban Games and Southsea. What's going on these days?

Cheers...

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 01:30 PM »
yes mate, get yourself a site supporter tag and you can sell, trade and put up want to buy posts  :daumenhoch:

Lets see a pic too  :coolsmiley:

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 05:30 PM »
yep if original , keep it original as hardly any trickstar`s left with original paint as everyone keep`s painting them   ::)

also used to do urban game bitd and great event shame they stopped it . love to see a pic of trickstar as love original trickstars myself as best frame ever
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 05:34 PM »

I think original too if your going to ride it. Or if its going to be a carpet queen you could go for a  full restoration.  :)

BmxAssasin

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 06:25 PM »
Chrome would cost a bomb as a load of prep would be needed on a raw frame so leaving as is or a re-powder would be your best option IMO...

the biggest vulture has yet to appear on this thread . unless hes already knocked on the back door.

ozone

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 09:45 PM »

the biggest vulture has yet to appear on this thread . unless hes already knocked on the back door.

I wonder who you could mean?   ;D  They reckon he always goes the back door route anyway.   >:D

FAZE3

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 10:01 PM »
Keep it as is, if it's been yours for years ;) As unless you've a few quid lying about the place a full factory spec Hutch will be pricey :(

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hutch Trickstar Restoration query

gfxgfx
gfx gfx