gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 10:12 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  People selling refinished used items as new...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: People selling refinished used items as new...  (Read 1605 times)

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
People selling refinished used items as new...
« on: November 29, 2012, 09:25 PM »
Just stumbled across an ebay seller who is clearly selling used parts that he has had rechromed as "new" items on ebay.  :rant: Not only that but he is asking top dollar for them. I sent him a message asking if the items were rechromed and got the standard "not to my knowledge.... All markings are still visible" story. Items include bars, cranks, and even a stem that has wear marks on the shaft caused by use.  :uglystupid2: Granted that items look very shiny but they are nothing like original finish (too shiny) and clearly not new. I honestly dont understand how people can do stuff like that and get away with it. Does my head in.

Apologies for the rant, just had to get it out of my system.   :-X
***Wanted - Cash waiting***
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

gossa

Re: People selling refinished used items as new...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 09:35 PM »
I don't condone that at all but I think it's a common misconception that highly polished parts weren't part of the scene BITD.

I currently have a Revcore stem on ebay that has been polished up and a guy mailed me today saying he wanted something more 'original'. Well they were like that new, like DK stems, all polished up from the factory and then we ('80's racers) would spend saturday nights at nationals in the hotel with the Autosol making them even shinier.

Most late 80's bike were just chrome chrome chrome and everything else super buffed up.

However, that bloke sounds like a bellend.

Offline thebigdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 09:37 PM »
Sounds like 9065deans or whatever yep hes in the messers how he gets away with it i dont know

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:39 PM »
Sounds like 9065deans or whatever yep hes in the messers how he gets away with it i dont know

Beat to it :LolLolLolLol:

pkripster

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 09:40 PM »
Yeah I put him there his prices r criminAl

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 09:40 PM »

Thats the guy. Unbelievable that he thinks he can get away with it.
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

pkripster

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 09:42 PM »
Ol deans the rip off merchant lol

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 09:48 PM »
Dealt with him, he's a prize prick. He's also shill bidding his stuff up when he doesn't get what he wants.

Stay well clear
Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

Offline adenough

• 540 Air
  • Buzz Killington...
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 10:31 PM »
His postage is stupid too, I think the bloke must work at a platers,or metal finishers, and he lives not far from me, £2.49 for a single decal post charge,I was watchin this and pretty much everythin he sells,he got a bid on it,then was re listed, just shills up,plus all feedback transactions are private so you can't see that the cranks for eg, he paid 65 dollars for are now goin for £350 Etc, I'm shocked he hasn't jumped on the twin pinchers with careful photography.

deeman

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 11:05 PM »
I knew straight away who this post was about!The fella is an absolute tw@t of the highest order.No radster should put a penny in his pocket out of principle.Polishes old items to fook and describes them as nos.He thinks nos means 'new old school'!9605deans - AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! :daumenhoch: :2gunsfiring_v1: :2gunsfiring_v1: :Aresehole: :knuppel2: :knuppel2:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 11:09 PM by deeman »

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 06:58 AM »
His postage is stupid too, I think the bloke must work at a platers,or metal finishers, and he lives not far from me, £2.49 for a single decal post charge,I was watchin this and pretty much everythin he sells,he got a bid on it,then was re listed, just shills up,plus all feedback transactions are private so you can't see that the cranks for eg, he paid 65 dollars for are now goin for £350 Etc, I'm shocked he hasn't jumped on the twin pinchers with careful photography.

Yeah my mate bid on one of the decals. It had no bids with 2 seconds left, he put a fiver on and was beat by 50p. Relisted within 24 hours.  :-X

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 08:21 AM »
£250 for some Kneesavers  ;D at least he has a sense of humour  :daumenhoch:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-OLD-SCHOOL-BMX-HARO-FREESTYLER-KNEESAVER-BARS-1986-/160924229809?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2577d4e0b1

When did Kneesavers come out anyway ... 86? sure it was later than that... prrrrrickkk
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:23 AM by ED209 »
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 09:45 AM »
£250 for some Kneesavers  ;D at least he has a sense of humour  :daumenhoch:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-OLD-SCHOOL-BMX-HARO-FREESTYLER-KNEESAVER-BARS-1986-/160924229809?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2577d4e0b1

When did Kneesavers come out anyway ... 86? sure it was later than that... prrrrrickkk

And look at the chrome on them. Almost dripping off the edges and a smooth mirror like finish... Original chrome looked nothing like that yet he is selling them as "new".

RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Offline thebigdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 09:51 AM »
He deffo is in the polishing chroming game i think too...

He bought a mongoose bb kit of me ,a used one next thing its on ebay as new and polished up to the max!! :knuppel2:

I did tell him he was a cnut but he never got back to me  :LolLolLolLol:  ,started to submit offers on his stuff for 1p etc  :daumenhoch:

xGoose

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 09:57 AM »

I did tell him he was a cnut but he never got back to me  :LolLolLolLol:

;D

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 10:26 AM »
He was a bit upset when I left him his first neg feedback  ;D

Offline adenough

• 540 Air
  • Buzz Killington...
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 11:34 AM »
Was that for the team sport?

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 12:23 PM »
I don't condone that at all but I think it's a common misconception that highly polished parts weren't part of the scene BITD.

I currently have a Revcore stem on ebay that has been polished up and a guy mailed me today saying he wanted something more 'original'. Well they were like that new, like DK stems, all polished up from the factory and then we ('80's racers) would spend saturday nights at nationals in the hotel with the Autosol making them even shinier.

Most late 80's bike were just chrome chrome chrome and everything else super buffed up.

Clive's right, we did polish some stuff back in the day...My original DK stem is nice and polished, but it's nice and shinny from many evenings in 1984/85 getting it to look bling after the abuse our winter weather gave it!.......but yeah that guy is pushing it a bit!
Neil

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 01:03 PM »

Yeah, the 'Team' Sport.... :knuppel2:

Offline adenough

• 540 Air
  • Buzz Killington...
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 01:13 PM »

what was the craic with that? Was you misled etc?

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 01:25 PM »

Clive's right, we did polish some stuff back in the day...My original DK stem is nice and polished, but it's nice and shinny from many evenings in 1984/85 getting it to look bling after the abuse our winter weather gave it!.......but yeah that guy is pushing it a bit!

No doubt it was common practice to polish things up, but I dont think that qualifies it as "original finish" just because it was common practice at the time. Original finish is as it came from the factory. None the less I think the issue you two are talking about and what this guy is doing are worlds apart.  :daumenhoch:
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Offline adenough

• 540 Air
  • Buzz Killington...
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 02:20 PM »
dont understand him? ive been watchin what he sells, and to get a thread on here, id say anulls the majority of British sales. why not be honest & say, for e.g., GT Profile cranks, imported from the states, duty paid, then fully restored, chrome plated/polished/anodized!! saving you the hassle!! then list at a fair ish price, or, offer a metal finishing sevice & make some good dollar that way? like i said, this post is bad press. he saw a gap in the market and has exploited this, plus in my opinion, hes too late to make any serious long term money anyway!! reminds me of the fuel strike when our local private garage was chargin summat like £5 a litre, 3 months later,and people were driving further to get filled up, he went out of business, and lost his social status among the locals, people vote with their feet, id ask to do the same here. at the end of the day, i believe he is no expert on the old school scene, probably googles items and gleans some info from various sources. time will tell, and no doubt at all in my mind that this thread will or is being followed by the man himself. :yahoo_silent:

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 02:22 PM »

Yeah it was listed as a team sport.  I actually won it for a sensible price at the last minute, and as he was 40 miles away went to pick up to avoid £20+ postage charges.  When I got back and did a bit of research, it was a Sport with Team decals added.  No real difference other than the position of the cable guides but after I got a mail from him asking to cancel the transaction with eBay so he could avoid his fees I got pretty pissed off.  Cheeky tw@t knowingly sells something described as something else then wants to avoid his eBay fees and get more money for it.  Tis really nice though, I think he must've fallen asleep when looking to bid it up  ;D

Offline thebigdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 02:25 PM »

[/quote]

No doubt it was common practice to polish things up, but I dont think that qualifies it as "original finish" just because it was common practice at the time. Original finish is as it came from the factory. None the less I think the issue you two are talking about and what this guy is doing are worlds apart.  :daumenhoch:
[/quote]

Agree I you can gaurntee the parts are well worn/used before being 'restored' ,they aint NEW!! 

Offline adenough

• 540 Air
  • Buzz Killington...
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 02:26 PM »

Yeah it was listed as a team sport.  I actually won it for a sensible price at the last minute, and as he was 40 miles away went to pick up to avoid £20+ postage charges.  When I got back and did a bit of research, it was a Sport with Team decals added.  No real difference other than the position of the cable guides but after I got a mail from him asking to cancel the transaction with eBay so he could avoid his fees I got pretty wee weeed off.  Cheeky tw@t knowingly sells something described as something else then wants to avoid his eBay fees and get more money for it.  Tis really nice though, I think he must've fallen asleep when looking to bid it up  ;D
so does he really live in Cannock, or is that BS too??

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  People selling refinished used items as new...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx