gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 07:00 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Vector potts mod
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Vector potts mod  (Read 597 times)

FAZE3

Vector potts mod
« on: November 07, 2012, 09:37 PM »
Was just puzzling over how to convert my Vector bars with a potts mod. Has anyone done this? Where did you get a bolt thin enough?

Or am I losing my marbles :shocked:

Offline not johndub71

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Vector potts mod
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 09:25 AM »
There was bitd a thinner Pots mod bolt. It was used on SR's and Power Stems where the top bolt dia was narrow. The pita was it was only small enough to get the inner down, so you had to chop the outter down and fit ends everywhere. A wee bit like a mountain bike cable on the rear where you only see the inner.
The way around it would be to get a hollow bolt, and open the top washer on the vectors out so it fits. I did that with a Power stem and it was ok. My sh vectors had a hollow bolt on so its a wee bit of trial and error.
Facebook/Fr35Hair

FAZE3

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 03:11 PM »
Do you mean drill out the stem section of the bars? Not sure if it would weaken them to much?

Does any one know it you can buy a small dia potts mod?

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 05:10 PM »
i had one bitd, think it was an acs. there is a way of fitting a cable outer all the way through. take a rear brake cable outer and place at the lever and follow it down to about halfway down the headtube then cut it. shave off the outer plastic about 2-3 inches and do the same with the other half of the outer. take of enough plastic the same length as the potts mod then stick the top half in from the top and the bottom half in from the bottom then stick the inner wire all the way through. powerglide cables were the best for this as you could remove the teflon inner first before cutting then stick it back in once it was fitted.

FAZE3

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 08:19 PM »
christ :shocked: i might leave it ;D

splodge

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 12:33 PM »
i had one bitd, think it was an acs.  powerglide cables were the best for this as you could remove the teflon inner first before cutting then stick it back in once it was fitted.

Yes your right, I found the acs bolts were made from really soft metal & as soon as you tighten them up they would strip the threads. If you tried to do it as tight without stripping then the stem wasnt tight enough & the first tail whip you try would twist the stem in the forks. I went through two bolts then the shop just gave me my money back.

Offline not johndub71

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 06:30 PM »
Drill the top bit to accept a better hollow bolt, or, find a supstitution part to do the job. Post a pic up fo where the stem bolt goes through.
Facebook/Fr35Hair

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Vector potts mod

gfxgfx
gfx gfx