gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 08:56 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  My first haro build 86 sport nearly done :)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My first haro build 86 sport nearly done :)  (Read 2511 times)

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
My first haro build 86 sport nearly done :)
« on: November 06, 2012, 03:40 PM »
Hi chaps.
I picked up this beauty a few days ago and am waiting for it to be delivered. I was on the lookout for a chrome twin top tupe, but this came along and I couldnt pass it by at the price (£140 posted) :)

I have never had a haro before and dont know too much about them as they were always out of my price range, so it was a bit of a gamble when choosing to get this one.
I have a couple of questions for you lot to help me out with if thats cool :)
1. a bit stupid, but I am unsure weather the frame is all chrome or has it been stripped?? Was it originally half chrome and half paint as I have seen on some haro's ? The seller tells me the chrome is good all over, but then asks what colour I am going to have it finished in so dont know what to expect there.
2. Were the half chrome and half painted Haros that I have seen chrome all over before being painted or is it just chrome over the end chainstays??
3. what sort of price are a set of 86 haro sport forks worth these days and what other options might I have for forks (didnt want to use tange, I was thinking chrome landing gears or some spinner freestyle forks)
I probably should have asked thse questions first, but I find some of those guys on the bmxmuseum are not always happy to answer lots of questions especially if they have to ship it overseas as well. I asked two important questions first (will he post to the UK and can he put gift and value on customs form at £30? He said yes, so I didint push my luck ;))
If worst comes to the worst, I am sure I will always be able to sell it, if it turns out its not what I am after. I have all the parts, haro tyres, blue OGK's, green dia compe levers and calipers ect so I am quite looking forward to getting hold of it and building it up.
I am hoping its Chrome all over, if not I might consider powdering it green, what do you reckon fellas :) I will post more pics when it arrives, but in the meantime, thanks for your time and your help :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:06 PM by Threaders »

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
Re: Advice and info on my first haro build 86 sport please
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 04:02 PM »
Do some research on the museum for the re-painting of it, here's a nice survivor mate:

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/haro/45998#.UJkzY2_Qedc

Once you've got it, check in the BB for any traces of paint, you might find out its original colour in there. If you do go for green, keep the ar$e end Chrome, look at this one on the bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300807079703'ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It's a master but will give you a good idea of how they look green/chrome.

86 forks can go up to £120+ nowadays, madness! Best keep an eye out on the museum and ebay.com, they rarely come up on ebay.co.uk

I have an 86 sport coming my way any day for the states, I will send you some pics, its a survivor but very sweet as :)

Matt ;)

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 04:15 PM »
Cheers mate. So those two lovely examples are only chrome on the ends and not under the paint then?? :daumenhoch:

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 04:18 PM »
i dont think you ll be buying a frame on its own again as most people wont because its an arse .. i have, wont again...
you may have to use an easier to find substitute fork as you have mentioned and wait some time for the correct fork.
but we live and learn!
you will have to see if you are happy with the finish when it comes.. i would leave it chrome as there are all chrome 86s and look better than the masses of green and blue ones but if you have to powder then flip the script on colour !  :daumenhoch:

ozone

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 07:06 PM »
Cheers mate. So those two lovely examples are only chrome on the ends and not under the paint then?? :daumenhoch:

Yours might have started off as a painted frame (with chrome back end) but they did do a chrome Sport in 1986.  The chrome on the main tubes is usually of a poorer quality as it wasn't really meant to be seen so you might be able to tell.

Check out the catalogue below...

http://www.ajkbikes.com/downloads/catalogs/1986%20Haro%20Catalog.pdf

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 07:28 PM »
Oooo Im exited now. Thanks for the catelogue Makes an interesting read. Always nice to be able to do a bit of research before planning the build and doing the colour scheme. I'm liking the blue sport illustrated :daumenhoch:

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 05:04 PM »
Arrived today with only a £25 customs charge, last time it was £70 for a frame and forks :idiot2: There is some green paint in  the bb and headtube, but is now shiney chrome all over :daumenhoch:

Just need some forks now and everything else is in me wardrobe :)

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 11:22 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing this. Don't rush it. ;)

deeman

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 10:54 AM »
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=154495.0

might not be right but certainly close! :daumenhoch:

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 01:38 PM »
Got a feeling he will want more than £130 for them though :'( There are a couple of sets in the US which will work out around £95 including postage but not customs. This is what I have so far :)

Poolysheriff has said he could sort me out with some mongoose tange forks, so might go with that as I have some chrome fork standers somewhere. I am really trying to follow discostu's advice and not rush this one. I have to get some polishing gear sorted too before I put the decal set on :daumenhoch:

deeman

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 01:42 PM »
loving the colourway!should look awesome!I hate to point out the glaringly obvious but they are master decals! :daumenhoch:

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 02:47 PM »
 :idiot2: I know. I dont have much info on the various decals for the 80's haro sport, freestyler or master. I am guessing they are all different depending on the year of production and model. From the choice of haro decals I saw, these master ones were the best for me in terms of colours as I dont think the sport ones would have shown up as well on chrome :daumenhoch:
If I see the right sport ones, I will get Del to make me some up :)
Also need a decent one piece crank at somepoint too.

Offline poolysheriff

• Team Moderator
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 03:18 PM »

Thats the 3 types of Tange forks i have

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 03:40 PM »
PM sent on the mongoose tange forks :daumenhoch:

deeman

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 03:47 PM »
:idiot2: I know. I dont have much info on the various decals for the 80's haro sport, freestyler or master. I am guessing they are all different depending on the year of production and model. From the choice of haro decals I saw, these master ones were the best for me in terms of colours as I dont think the sport ones would have shown up as well on chrome :daumenhoch:
If I see the right sport ones, I will get Del to make me some up :)
Also need a decent one piece crank at somepoint too.

Man i am sure Del has probably done loads of Sport decals and can probably make them in whatever colour you like!loads of one piece cranks about,i am sure someone had a nos takagi in for sale? :daumenhoch:

Offline Chromo Buzz

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 04:39 PM »
Get in contact with Del,  he can do pretty much any colour you wish(within reason) :daumenhoch:

Here's a pic of my 85 Sport with my own colourway i asked for :coolsmiley:

Del's the man :4_17_5:

Buz ;)

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Re: My first haro build 86 sport taking shape:)
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 05:22 PM »
Started to add parts and get the decals on ;) Forks arrived this morning and are looking sweet. Made a complete mess of the downtube decals, so will have to order another set of those :-[ I have done others before with no problem, but these had loads of air bubbles and creases, which by the time I had taken them off and on a few times, were pretty much buggered.
Anyway, very pleased with the rest.

Will sort the cables out when I sort out the two downtube decals :)

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 11:00 PM »
Nice thread, I'm building a custom Sport at the moment - good to see others doing it too  :daumenhoch:

Offline sparkysx

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 01:16 AM »
Did you use soapy water to put the decals on?

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 03:14 PM »
No I have heard about doing it that way, but in the past I have always been ok. Will probably use that method when I get hold of the replacement downtube decals. Anyone got a video or step by step guide? I heard you spray the frame with the soapy water, then apply the decals :)

deeman

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 03:17 PM »
Nice!coming along well! :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 11:25 AM »
No I have heard about doing it that way, but in the past I have always been ok. Will probably use that method when I get hold of the replacement downtube decals. Anyone got a video or step by step guide? I heard you spray the frame with the soapy water, then apply the decals :)

I try to get others to put my decals on but if i have to do it myself, i spray some windex - just one light squirt  ::) wipe away any drips, apply the decal and you get a good 20 secs to move it about - it slides on the cleaner.  Once you're happy press down over the top with a tea towel or similar and voila it dries in place.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:31 PM by Jaan »

Offline webbie

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 11:35 AM »
I recently put the decals on my master and used soapy water brushed on with a small paint brush and all went ok. Once applied just wipe over with a tea towel to get rid of any bubbles  :daumenhoch: but don't do it after a few tins of stella as they don't seem to go on that straight  :-[  

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 12:32 PM »
Stella's only good for beating the wife  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  My first haro build 86 sport nearly done :)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx