gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 05:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  MX Hinged Seat Post Clamp
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: MX Hinged Seat Post Clamp  (Read 1948 times)

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
MX Hinged Seat Post Clamp
« on: November 03, 2012, 09:48 PM »
Im currently building a retro Zippo Master and ive been looking at past builds on the museum.  One of the build that really catches my eye uses an MX hinged seat post clamp to suit a 1" post.  Now obviously....the Zippo is mid school so its got no chance of fitting.  However, this bloke has filed his to fit????  Surely this has got be one tricky ass operation as one little slip will render it useless?  Would there be an easier way of boring it out without damaging it so that the internal diameter would perfectly match the external diameter of the post tube?

Here's the linky.....scroll down a bit and you'll see it :)

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=225426

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Re: MX Hinged Seat Post Clamp
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 10:05 PM »
Should be pretty easy with the right tools. I would space the bolt gap out with washers or similar then do up tight so you have a perfect round hole. Find someone with a pillar drill and bore it out to the right dimesions.  Peace of cake as you are only taking of a few mil.
I made these 990 fork mount clamps out of a solid block of aluminium and drilled it with a tweeked woodworking spade bit  :shocked:

Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 10:43 PM »
Awesome!!  I might just buy one and give it a go  :daumenhoch:

Those 990 mounts look really cool!  Good job there! :)

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 01:32 AM »
you could use an emery  flap wheel (  ;D  )  on a drill, i think  30mm will be closest you can buy,  so use it on some brick or concrete until its the same diameter as the outside of the seat tube then set the clamp in a vice like in the link and run the flap wheel (  ;D )  through it , it'll cut through even then ,  

flap wheel (  ;D )  

if your going to use a long pivotal seat post get a padded seat the one in the link looks bobbins  :crazy2:   :LolLolLolLol:

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:41 AM by oldtired »

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 07:34 AM »
Buy a re pop DC clamp from Alans, they do the ones for a 25.4 post (28.6 seat tube) for about £12, even easier!

MM
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 11:22 AM »
Buy a re pop DC clamp from Alans, they do the ones for a 25.4 post (28.6 seat tube) for about £12, even easier!

MM

Do they??? Hmmmm im off to check it out right now :)  Cheers dude, might make thing a little easier :)

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 11:33 AM »

MM

Just had a look and the only ones theyve got say 25.4 on the clamp .....Are these the ones as im thinking these are just the standard repops of the older size and wont fit anyway?

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 01:03 PM »
  flap wheel  ;D ;D  makes me chuckle anyhooo

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 02:15 PM »

MM

Just had a look and the only ones theyve got say 25.4 on the clamp .....Are these the ones as im thinking these are just the standard repops of the older size and wont fit anyway?

I looked at those too. I guessed they are for old school as 25.4 would be the seat tube size with 22.2 being your standard seat post size  :-\
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 05:15 PM »
Yeah thats what I was thinking :( ....Then again, if that was the case and it didnt fit I could just go ahead with the "flap wheel" technique anyway :)

deeman

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 04:02 PM »

MM

I looked at those too. I guessed they are for old school as 25.4 would be the seat tube size with 22.2 being your standard seat post size  :-\

Correct!they are same size. :daumenhoch:

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 05:35 PM »
Doh!!  Flap wheel it is then I reckon  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  MX Hinged Seat Post Clamp

gfxgfx
gfx gfx