gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 03:17 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Has Oldschool Bmx building had its day?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Has Oldschool Bmx building had its day?  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: Has Oldschool Bmx building had its day?
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2012, 06:42 PM »
It is what it is. Get on with it... or don't bother.

;) ^^^^^^^^

Offline Bigbadsam

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • THEY CALL ME THE BEAR !
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 11:51 PM »
Having been mainly into burners for the last few years Ive seen prices change from month to month.
The gage for me is SR stems, 6 months ago you could pick one up for £15. Now there going for £35. And I've seen them at " buy it now" for £50  :uglystupid2:

Personally (jaymz  ;)) it's not going to move on from old school for me. Because the 80,s is where the nostalgia is  :daumenhoch:
43 going on 13 again  :LolLolLolLol:

P.s. I'm loving the old school rides too.
RADPORT 4TH August
Southport - Leo's Bar Midday onwards

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 05:53 PM »
who see the white dominator seat with blue lettering go on ebay for £345 the other day  :shocked: at them sort of prices only the rich and famous will be able to build their dream bikes  :-[

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2012, 07:14 PM »
the arse end will fall out of old school prices in the next 10 years, theres a lot of middle aged crisis ex bmxers buying at mo by the looks, the crisis is usually over by the time they become 50 n the next phase of 40 year olds start buying up their youth bikes, early 90's onwards. The big bucks paid for builds now will never be recouped, funny as fook i think  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2012, 07:27 PM »
I have to say that prices are on the up again, but i see no evidence of the bikes crossing the divide from old school bmxers to non or younger bmxers and as such the hobby will have a shelf life.

BUT

objects of desire have a habit of being collectible through the ages . We will see

mark 2

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2012, 08:31 PM »
Surely the last Mk was enough evidence that the scene's thriving still  ???

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2012, 08:48 PM »
The hobby is definitely not dead....

There will always be those that see ot as a fad, or want to make a quick buck, they cpme and go, the hardcpre collectors will always be around come rain or shine,

Prices are high for some parts right now, some parts and framesets are not coming up, but have patience and you will overcome,

I am in the process of building two old schoolers, first for 3 years, .. Iam enjoying the chase for parts, it may take me another couple of years, but i will get there in the end, ... The best builds are like a fine wine, they take time to mature

There are more collectors than ever, hence supply and demand will push prices up... Unless you know where to look

One final word,... Everyone has their own grail, and builds what they desire, respect others.., if you like someones build, give +++ feedback, if you dont like it,  dont comment, lets not slag each other off, just cos they dont build what you like... Be boring if we all liked the same bikes
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 08:55 PM by monkeybiscuits! »
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2012, 09:02 PM »

A few bits I have sold recently have gone to collectors who never had or did Bmx bitd, they have only starting collecting for the sake of collecting, old school bikes ain't just for old school bmxers

Offline rollin72

• 900 Air
  • I was a ninja
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2012, 09:31 PM »
Surely the last Mk was enough evidence that the scene's thriving still  ???

damn right, the bikes on show at MK were unbelievable,  ive got no room at the moment for any new builds so just messing with the ones Ive got, its had its day for some..not for others

mark 2

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2012, 09:37 PM »
Not that I went though

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2012, 11:33 PM »

One final word,... Everyone has their own grail, and builds what they desire, respect others.., if you like someones build, give +++ feedback, if you dont like it,  dont comment, lets not slag each other off, just cos they dont build what you like... Be boring if we all liked the same bikes

Top comment, my Mum always said "If you have nothing good to say, say nothing".

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2012, 11:47 PM »
I'm building again. I've got most of what I need, just seat and grips, oh and decals needed. Prices are reaching a crescendo that will leave quite a few out of pocket before long. Buy bits you want because you like em, buying the most expensive bits to impress others isn't what old school Bmx is about, it's just a bit sad.  :(
ding dong

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2012, 12:11 AM »

A few bits I have sold recently have gone to collectors who never had or did Bmx bitd, they have only starting collecting for the sake of collecting, old school bikes ain't just for old school bmxers

And they're the w4nkers that are pushing prices up, they're in it as an investment and not for the love  :tickedoff:
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2012, 12:23 AM »
My Mum always said "If you have nothing good to say, say it really loud with vehemence & violence".

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 07:42 AM »
Definately life in the old dog yet, but like some others have said, I think it has a finite life which will catch some people out when it goes.  Personally I think it's getting harder to build something nice within a sensible budget, even some of the prices posted on here recently are off the charts. For example, I saw something yesterday at £170 posted, when I know you can buy new from a shop for £60  :idiot2:
Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2012, 07:44 AM »
Definately life in the old dog yet, but like some others have said, I think it has a finite life which will catch some people out when it goes.  Personally I think it's getting harder to build something nice within a sensible budget, even some of the prices posted on here recently are off the charts. For example, I saw something yesterday at £170 posted, when I know you can buy new from a shop for £60  :idiot2:

Blimey what was that mark?

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2012, 07:53 AM »
I won't slag off the guys prices in public Dave, he can choose to try and sell for whatever he wants....

But I'll let you know  ;)
Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2012, 10:56 AM »
The hobby is definitely not dead....

There will always be those that see ot as a fad, or want to make a quick buck, they cpme and go, the hardcpre collectors will always be around come rain or shine,

Prices are high for some parts right now, some parts and framesets are not coming up, but have patience and you will overcome,

I am in the process of building two old schoolers, first for 3 years, .. Iam enjoying the chase for parts, it may take me another couple of years, but i will get there in the end, ... The best builds are like a fine wine, they take time to mature

There are more collectors than ever, hence supply and demand will push prices up... Unless you know where to look

bang on, patience keeps prices affordable  :daumenhoch:

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2012, 03:26 PM »
I'm still refining bikes i started building 12 years ago.  As said it's all about patience.  Best part of the hobby is looking out for that bit you really want and always better at a nice price.  You think that they will never come up, but usually they do!  Starting and finishing a project in a week, will just leave you completely bored with collecting........having said that anyone wanna buy a 91 sport for silly money????? :D
Neil

leehunt1

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2012, 05:21 PM »
am i correct in saying everything was more expensive 5 or 10 years ago than it is now..?
i dont know what the big deal is really..
Old school BMX is an extravagant and expensive hobby like collecting vintage cars..!

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2012, 06:04 PM »

If you say nothing it will look like everyone does like the same boring bikes... which of course we don't.

"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2012, 06:14 PM »
Plenty of life left in it yet  :D I say at MK every year thats it no more  ::) then off I go again  :2funny:

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2012, 08:44 PM »

If you say nothing it will look like everyone does like the same boring bikes... which of course we don't.

Not really, it is just that bikes I like I say so, bikes I think are w@nk I keep quiet.  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2012, 10:37 PM »

Not really, it is just that bikes I like I say so, bikes I think are w@nk I keep quiet. 

Now I know why nobody says anything about yours!  :D  ;)

megsy

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2012, 11:18 PM »
I personally couldn't give a toss if the arse fell out of it tomorrow. Bought my bikes for me and to keep.  :) just enjoy it

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Has Oldschool Bmx building had its day?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx