gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975768 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 05, 2024, 01:17 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  NEW SCHOOL SKYWAY
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: NEW SCHOOL SKYWAY  (Read 626 times)

Offline MaD-RoK

• Flip-Whip
  • I think my eyeball is allergic to sperm.
    • +100km BMX Marathon. Donate here....
  • Rated:
NEW SCHOOL SKYWAY
« on: October 12, 2012, 10:00 AM »
So as to not deviate off the lovely v-braked cuiser thread anymore..... Does anyone, like Ed, know of any plans for Skyway to get back into the forefront of BMX and produce some new gear that will still be legendary in another 30 years time?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: NEW SCHOOL SKYWAY
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 10:04 AM »
i would hazard a guess that no one on here other than Ed at colouredtuffs/planet BMX knows a thing about their plans to build anything.

You're best asking the people who know rather than here mate  :daumenhoch:

Baring in mind though, that the 20" TA is technically a new school race frame n forks.  It has a 21.25 TT, an internal 1 1/8th headset, V brake mounts and 10mm dropouts (which is race size)

okay it's a retro version of the old TA, but still a modern geometry with a nod to the old style.  it is not a copy of the original.....in my eyes anyway  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 10:08 AM by pickle »

Online oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 10:10 AM »
Wouldnt have thought so. There are a lot of players in the new school market and they would almost be starting from scratch as the younger generation dont have the same affinity with them as we do.

Besides, why would they when they have us fools to plunder  ;)
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline MaD-RoK

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 10:14 AM »
I'll nip down Southbank at lunch and see if any of the whipper snappers are slinging any around.  :D

Now I can understand that after a lull of making barrow wheels and casters they are quite excited about the old school explosion, but really am wondering if they are going to take advantage of the BMX boom and carry on where they left off (and others carried on)

I'll pm the link to Ed as I hear he doesn't reply to emails.  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline MaD-RoK

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 10:16 AM »
Wouldnt have thought so. There are a lot of players in the new school market and they would almost be starting from scratch as the younger generation dont have the same affinity with them as we do.

Besides, why would they when they have us fools to plunder  ;)

I'd love to see what they came up with, and would deffo prefer to buy a NS bike from them rather than a flogged to death legend revamp.....  :-X

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 11:20 AM »
If they make one and its good, the racers will buy them.

When they first come out and started none of us had heard of them, everything has to start somewhere.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 07:04 AM »
I think it would be good to hear the opinion of someone competitively racing today what they think of the prototype. Are there elements that seem too weak, does it look as though it could handle todays punishment?

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 07:51 AM »
Its in the same boat as the JDB Hutch, older racers will buy em, young uns will go for modern alloy frames with modern alloy cranks.

To be fair I dont see many, if any young riders on the latest S&M steel race frames.
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 12:04 PM »
I think it would be good to hear the opinion of someone competitively racing today what they think of the prototype. Are there elements that seem too weak, does it look as though it could handle todays punishment?

I'm happy to test one if anyone is offering  ;)

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 01:45 PM »
John I was thinking more along the lines of one of today's younger elite.  :LolLolLolLol:

If the bikes tested and regarded as good as anything else then it's down to team promotion and sponsorship deals. Without any of that or some sort of cult following amongst the young uns beginning for them then I don't think it would have a chance of turning into anything other than what it is. It would be great to see though.

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 01:52 PM »
John I was thinking more along the lines of one of today's younger elite.  :LolLolLolLol:

If the bikes tested and regarded as good as anything else then it's down to team promotion and sponsorship deals. Without any of that or some sort of cult following amongst the young uns beginning for them then I don't think it would have a chance of turning into anything other than what it is. It would be great to see though.

Ha ha - but yeah, would be very interesting to see just how fast a Cal Strickland or a Kyle Evans would be on board one of these frame and forks with all their usual hardware attached :daumenhoch:

ColoredTuffs.com

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 10:14 PM »
We have actually been working on this one in secret for awhile.  We let it be known over a year ago about the cruiser, and THAT took much longer to get done than expected, so we thought it was best to not talk about the 20" until we were close to being done!

We are testing what I believe will be the final prototype right now.  We are not releasing pics of the full bike just yet, but here are some "spy shots".  This is a 20" T/A XL, with a 21.25" top tube.  74 degree headtube, 71 degree seattube, euro BB, integrated headset, and v-brakes.  At this time there is no release date set.  But it WILL be in 2013.

We will have more photos posted soon at the PlanetBMX facebook page. 
-Ed

Offline Darren KAP

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 10:19 PM »

Ed  you've got a pm read it
Life .......... Your here for a good time not a long time

ColoredTuffs.com

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 10:20 PM »
Its in the same boat as the JDB Hutch, older racers will buy em, young uns will go for modern alloy frames with modern alloy cranks.

To be fair I dont see many, if any young riders on the latest S&M steel race frames.

I feel the same way, honestly.  We are doing the cr-mo framesets for right now.  But we have talked about doing a hydro-formed aluminum frame in the future.  That is the only way to get a T/A frame down to a sub 3-pound weight.  And I do believe that will happen, but not for at least another 2 years.

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 10:46 PM »
be nice to see a skyway race team out again  8)
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline MaD-RoK

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 11:42 PM »
Now I am excited!!!  :4_17_5:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  NEW SCHOOL SKYWAY

gfxgfx
gfx gfx