gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 04:46 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rim Polishing
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rim Polishing  (Read 2308 times)

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Rim Polishing
« on: October 11, 2012, 11:36 AM »
I know this has probably been discussed a million times but wanted to know peoples experiences with polishing rims?

Ive got a set of standard Araya 48's that came off the Zippo that im building on my other thread.  They are the usual mid school silver anno finish.  Ive stripped the wheels down ready to rebuild them and freshen them up and I really fancy polishing them.

The polishing kits are pretty widely available and seems to work for a lot of people when polishing stems etc, does anyone have any experience of going to town on their hoops? 

Offline MaD-RoK

• Flip-Whip
  • I think my eyeball is allergic to sperm.
    • +100km BMX Marathon. Donate here....
  • Rated:
Re: Rim Polishing
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 11:43 AM »
ballache.com

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 12:10 PM »
ballache.com

Lol, yeah I can imagine but its something I fancy doing.  Did you do the same?

Offline MaD-RoK

• Flip-Whip
  • I think my eyeball is allergic to sperm.
    • +100km BMX Marathon. Donate here....
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 12:38 PM »
Some people enjoy it, personally I would rather stick a red hot poker up my arse. You need to first strip the anno, then work down the grits of sandpaper finishing with the finest wet. Any raises and indents etc, like on 7X etc, and spoke holes are a pain, Pro class I believe are worth a Samaritan call. After all that you can then start with the readily available mops.  :buck2:

ozone

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 02:48 PM »
I know this has probably been discussed a million times but wanted to know peoples experiences with polishing rims?

Ive got a set of standard Araya 48's that came off the Zippo that im building on my other thread.  They are the usual mid school silver anno finish.  Ive stripped the wheels down ready to rebuild them and freshen them up and I really fancy polishing them.

The polishing kits are pretty widely available and seems to work for a lot of people when polishing stems etc, does anyone have any experience of going to town on their hoops? 

I'd say leaving the original anno finish alone but rubbing down the sides of the rims to remove brake rub would be your best option and a lot less expensive...

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 05:47 PM »
Cheers for the advice guys.  I didnt expect it to be a 5 minute job but i might try it out ona cheapo rims just to see if its worth doing, otherwish ill just build it back up nice and fresh :)

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 05:49 PM »

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 06:19 PM »
^^^ ahhh the "unseen" pic of Pooch and Adam... :D
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

In2 bmx

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 06:24 PM »

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 08:48 PM »
 :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 03:38 PM »
^^^ ahhh the "unseen" pic of Pooch and Adam... :D

:2funny:
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 03:59 PM »
lol....so has anyone got any pics of the finished product?  From anno to shiney :)

Tidelander

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 05:51 PM »
Here are a set of Peregrine 48s I did.  Hard work - you'll need a dremmel or a drill with polishing wheel and alloy polishing compounds - Something like this
http://www.powertoolsdirect.com/zenith-polishing-kit-ferrous-metal?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant

Before - ano was ok in most places but there were some nasty scratches so bit the bullet and did whole wheel

First sanding - using course paper to strip the ano and get bare metal

Sanded and ready for fine paper and wet and dry

Polish using the brown compound to flatten and then the blue compound to get a high shine and then polish with alloy polish to get rid of any compound residue - here is a side by side against the other ano rim

Hard work and you get covered in black shoite but worked for me

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 09:15 PM »
Ah that looks awesome!!  Thats the finish im after with mine :) :)

Im thinking of gong down the "oven cleaner" route to strip the anno quicker, then going through a few grades of wet n dry, finishing off with the compound pastes.  Im gonna do the stem the same too :)

Did you lacquer the rims after or leave them for future polishing if they go dull?

Tony1971

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 09:39 PM »
I`ve stripped and polished a couple of sets. If they are for a rider they need to be laquered or re-anodised or the brakes realy dont bite. :-[
Tony

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 10:16 PM »
I`ve stripped and polished a couple of sets. If they are for a rider they need to be laquered or re-anodised or the brakes realy dont bite. :-[
Tony

Cheers Tony, interesting to know mate

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 12:43 AM »
you did quite well there    got 3 replies before the inevitable  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rim Polishing

gfxgfx
gfx gfx