gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975644 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 04, 2024, 10:07 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Squeaky blocks
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Squeaky blocks  (Read 1650 times)

stuartD

Squeaky blocks
« on: October 08, 2012, 11:34 AM »
I know it's been asked before but I've tried searching and not found what I'm looking for..

What brake blocks/pads are best for use on new school bikes so that they don't 1: make a horrid screeching noise every time you pull it and 2: rub all the colour of your rims ..

I've tried odyssey ones with no luck .. any suggestions ?

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
Re: Squeaky blocks
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 11:48 AM »
If they squeak they work
If they don't squeak they don't work

Live with the squeaking. You may minimise it by towing the the pads in. And make sure you brake is tight and correctly adjusted as if its not then the vibration will make squeaking too

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 11:52 AM »
i would disagree with that Jay (unless you use clear pads as they squeel whatever you do with them)  but i've always used Kool stop Salmon or Salmon/black pads, toe them in correctly and they don't seem to make any noise and work well on chrome rims.

Never had flashy coloured anodised rims so wouldn't know how they react to them  :daumenhoch:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 11:55 AM »
 :) Kool-Stop dual compound blocks work well on alloy rims with no squeaking.As Pickle says,toe-in the pads properly.Almost all sidewalls will eventually wear through with use,are you after better braking or a pose-fest :daumenhoch:

Sink

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 12:00 PM »
Once the rims start to rub through just sand em and polish up, thats what i do. looks good too :LolLolLolLol:

lodge

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 09:43 PM »
I have done a fair bit of trial and error on this subject and I'm now running black oddysey slim by four pads on anno rims, not the stopping power of clear pads, but they do allow feathering of the brake , have not worn the anno off in a year and barely make a noise as long as they are set-up correctly, got mine at Lifer but sure they can be had from most rider run shops.  :daumenhoch:

stuartD

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 10:10 PM »
That's what I'm running at the moment and hey screech like feck !

matsoki

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 03:29 PM »
I run mine toed out, so the trailing tip of the pad touches first..........

I know its opposite to what others say but I was sick of the noise, so I just tried it the other way.

:idiot2: :idiot2: I know but it works for me...................

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 09:23 PM »
I'm running a Proper brake with Odyssey pads no noise, Toed in slightly. Did try the Proper clear pads and very noisy. Make sure you put some grease on the brake pivots as brake arm vibe squeels as well. Sure I read on here about putting ptfe tape over the top of the brake pivot aswell.

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 09:54 PM »
Take your brake off  :daumenhoch:
2 minutes turkish...

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 12:43 AM »
running superstar brake with roller bearings , and savage fat pads as i have a fat rim  ;D,  no squeeeeeeeeeeeek    :daumenhoch:    

you've got to use more toe in than you think with the soft pads as they compress along the length when you pull the brake,  had those bachelor pads for a bit and had to use about 5mm of toe in,  sounds a lot but cured the squeeeeeeeeeeeek   :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Squeaky blocks

gfxgfx
gfx gfx